Re: ICC Class Codes

Jerry Dowling

Allan

Applying a little cryptology to the matter, clearly the first letter designates the number of pilot and/or trailing wheels. For example,

0/0 A
2/0 B
4/0 C
6/0 D?????
2/2 E
4/2 F
6/2 G????

The digit refers to the number of drivers on one side. This is odd of course as traditionally in the US we use the total drivers. The Brits as I recall describe locomotives by wheels on one side only.

2 (4 drivers)
3 (6 drivers)
4 (8 drivers)
5 (10 drivers)

Under my theory, the 4-6-0 should be C3 not CE.
I know this does not answer your basic query but thought I would throw it in. The designations are, of course, somewhat similar to Baldwin classes except BLW used letters for drivers.

Is this a leftover from USRA days?

I will root around in my stuff and see if I can find anything about ICC class codes.

Jerry

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "RAILDATA" <raildata@...> wrote:

Hi All,

While digging in some ATSF diagram books (ca 1920 & 1927) in the classification section they showed thier class codes as well as an ICC Class Code. Below is what they showed-

TYPE ICC SYMBOL
0-4-0 A2
0-6-0 A3
0-8-0 A4
4-6-0 CE
2-8-0 B4
2-10-0 B5
2-10-2 E5
4-4-0 C2
4-8-0 C4
4-4-2 F2
4-6-2 F3
2-6-0 B3
2-6-2 E3
2-10-4
2-8-4
2-6-6-2
4-8-2
4-6-4

I have never encountered these classes by the ICC before that I can recall. I have an ATSF document dated 1912 prepared for the ICC that uses the ATSF classes and does not include the ICC ones. I have a lot of ICC valuation sections for equipment and other ICC documents and have never seen these used.

Is this something peculiar to ATSF? I have not encountered them in any other roads diagram or class books.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Blessings!

Allen Stanley
Greer, SC