ICC Class Codes

ALLEN STANLEY

Hi All,

While digging in some ATSF diagram books (ca 1920 & 1927) in the classification section they showed thier class codes as well as an ICC Class Code. Below is what they showed-

TYPE ICC SYMBOL
0-4-0 A2
0-6-0 A3
0-8-0 A4
4-6-0 CE
2-8-0 B4
2-10-0 B5
2-10-2 E5
4-4-0 C2
4-8-0 C4
4-4-2 F2
4-6-2 F3
2-6-0 B3
2-6-2 E3
2-10-4
2-8-4
2-6-6-2
4-8-2
4-6-4

I have never encountered these classes by the ICC before that I can recall. I have an ATSF document dated 1912 prepared for the ICC that uses the ATSF classes and does not include the ICC ones. I have a lot of ICC valuation sections for equipment and other ICC documents and have never seen these used.

Is this something peculiar to ATSF? I have not encountered them in any other roads diagram or class books.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Blessings!

Allen Stanley
Greer, SC