Re: Illinois Central 0-10-0 Locomotives

Jerry Dowling

For anyone interested in these unusual locomotives, the DeGoyler Library (SMU) website has the erection cards and photos of A&V 430 and 431. Follow this link: http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/search/collection/rwy/searchterm/Ag2005.0003/field/all/mode/exact/conn/and/cosuppress/

Jerry

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "David" <logtrain@...> wrote:

Mark,

Very interesting about the trust plate on #3605.

I can say for sure that this engine never operated on the G&SI.
The likely explanaton probably has to do with corporate financing.

The IC acquired the G&SI in 1925, but kept it as a separate corporate identity until (I think) sometime in the 1940s. They immediately (in 1925) sent classic IC power to the G&SI and disposed of all G&SI motive power by late 1927 or early 1928...only a few remained in service after the IC takeover.

The A&V / VS&P were acquired in 1926 (about) and made part of the IC-owned Y&MV corporately. A&V and VS&P motive power was largely retained...at least the better engines. And the 2-10-2's were rebuilt in the great Paducah rebuild program and made 0-10-0's as we have already realized. I suspect that financing for the latter project was handled under the G&SI corporate identity which still was in place. So, the engines were always A&V-IC, but the financing for the rebuild was likely done using the G&SI identity.

One thing is sure. The G&SI never needed or used a 2-10-2. Nor an oil burning steam locomotive.

There is my best shot. It costs nothing, which is the exact monetary value of lots of my best shots!

David Price

--- In steamlocorosters@..., Mark Foster <kramsf@> wrote:

David and Jerry, thanks for the info about the IC 0-10-0's. Apparently the IC replaced the original tenders of all seven engines. I believe IC No's 3600 & 3601 had conventional tenders while earlier photos show both had small slope-back tenders at the time they were A&V engines and worked the Vicksburg ferry ramp. Builders photos of A&V 2-10-2 No's. 270 and 273 show them with relatively small conventional tenders and I assume the other three had similar tenders. After the IC rebuilt them to 0-10-0's and renumbered them 3602-3606 I believe all five had Vanderbilt type tenders. Am I correct in this regard?

I questioned if any of these IC engines originally belonged to the G&SI. My first time up in a locomotive cab was in 1940 when I came upon No. 3605 which was on the ground after failing to negotiate a curve on the sidetrack leading to a coal and lumber yard in Homewood, IL about a mile south of the IC Markham Yard leads. The crew was waiting for another engine and re-railing frogs to get the 3605 back on the rails and invited me up into the cab. Needless to say I was awed by the many valves, gauges, etc. There was a metal plate mounted on the backhead which I distinctly remember read "Gulf & Ship Island Railroad". I didn't know it at the time but later when I learned about such things I came to realize it was an equipment trust plate. In response to one of my many questions, the engineer said the 3605 had been a G&SI engine before coming to the IC. What could the explanation be of this seeming conflict with the historical info you provided 
about this particular locomotive? 

Mark

Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 2:46 PM
Subject: [steamlocorosters] Re: Illinois Central 0-10-0 Locomotives

Mark and All:

Baldwin built the two Alabama & Vicksburg 0-10-0's for use on the incline leading to the car ferry at Vicksburg. They were indeed built as oil burners. They became I.C. #3400 and #3401, and later #3600 adn #3601. The I.C. converted them to coal. These were HUGE machines, and their boilers were large enough to require an offset bell mount for clearance! I have photos of them in all three versions. Let me know if you are interested in seeing them.

The A&V also had 2-10-2's (Baldwins, coal burners, Young valve gear). Sister VS&P ran across the flatlands of Louisiana to Shreveport, so could do with light Baldwin 2-8-2's. But the heaver grades encountered crossing Mississippi from West to East (across the flow of streams and rivers) required the additional tractive effort of the 2-10-2's. The I.C. quickly converted the former A&V 2-10-2's to 0-10-0's. Have photos of these too if you need them.

The Gulf & Ship Island never had an oil burner. All their steam locomotives burned coal.

David Price

--- In mailto:steamlocorosters%40yahoogroups.com, "kramsf" <kramsf@> wrote:

From the info available to me it appears that the IC had seven 0-10-0 engines. Five of these were originally Alabama & Vicksburg 2-10-2's and were built by Baldwin between 1919-1922. These were transferred to the IC roster in 1926 and between 1938 and 1941 were rebuilt by the IC into 0-10-0's and numbered 3602-3606. If any of this is wrong I'd appreciate receiving corrections.

I believe the other two engines were IC No's. 3600 and 3601 and remember having been told they were originally built for the VS&P and/or the Gulf & Ship Island but have been unable to confirm this. If either or both of these two were former G&SI engines I think they may have originally been oil burners. Any info about the history of these two engines would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Foster

Join SteamAndDieselLocomotiveRosters@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.