Re: Illinois Central 0-10-0 Locomotives

Jerry Dowling

For anyone interested in these unusual locomotives, the DeGoyler Library (SMU) website has the erection cards and photos of A&V 430 and 431. Follow this link: http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/search/collection/rwy/searchterm/Ag2005.0003/field/all/mode/exact/conn/and/cosuppress/

Jerry

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "David" <logtrain@...> wrote:

Mark,

Very interesting about the trust plate on #3605.

I can say for sure that this engine never operated on the G&SI.
The likely explanaton probably has to do with corporate financing.

The IC acquired the G&SI in 1925, but kept it as a separate corporate identity until (I think) sometime in the 1940s. They immediately (in 1925) sent classic IC power to the G&SI and disposed of all G&SI motive power by late 1927 or early 1928...only a few remained in service after the IC takeover.

The A&V / VS&P were acquired in 1926 (about) and made part of the IC-owned Y&MV corporately. A&V and VS&P motive power was largely retained...at least the better engines. And the 2-10-2's were rebuilt in the great Paducah rebuild program and made 0-10-0's as we have already realized. I suspect that financing for the latter project was handled under the G&SI corporate identity which still was in place. So, the engines were always A&V-IC, but the financing for the rebuild was likely done using the G&SI identity.

One thing is sure. The G&SI never needed or used a 2-10-2. Nor an oil burning steam locomotive.

There is my best shot. It costs nothing, which is the exact monetary value of lots of my best shots!

David Price

--- In steamlocorosters@..., Mark Foster <kramsf@> wrote:

David and Jerry, thanks for the info about the IC 0-10-0's. Apparently the IC replaced the original tenders of all seven engines. I believe IC No's 3600 & 3601 had conventional tenders while earlier photos show both had small slope-back tenders at the time they were A&V engines and worked the Vicksburg ferry ramp. Builders photos of A&V 2-10-2 No's. 270 and 273 show them with relatively small conventional tenders and I assume the other three had similar tenders. After the IC rebuilt them to 0-10-0's and renumbered them 3602-3606 I believe all five had Vanderbilt type tenders. Am I correct in this regard?

I questioned if any of these IC engines originally belonged to the G&SI. My first time up in a locomotive cab was in 1940 when I came upon No. 3605 which was on the ground after failing to negotiate a curve on the sidetrack leading to a coal and lumber yard in Homewood, IL about a mile south of the IC Markham Yard leads. The crew was waiting for another engine and re-railing frogs to get the 3605 back on the rails and invited me up into the cab. Needless to say I was awed by the many valves, gauges, etc. There was a metal plate mounted on the backhead which I distinctly remember read "Gulf & Ship Island Railroad". I didn't know it at the time but later when I learned about such things I came to realize it was an equipment trust plate. In response to one of my many questions, the engineer said the 3605 had been a G&SI engine before coming to the IC. What could the explanation be of this seeming conflict with the historical info you provided
about this particular locomotive?

Mark