Illinois Central 0-10-0 Locomotives

Mark Foster

From the info available to me it appears that the IC had seven 0-10-0 engines. Five of these were originally Alabama & Vicksburg 2-10-2's and were built by Baldwin between 1919-1922. These were transferred to the IC roster in 1926 and between 1938 and 1941 were rebuilt by the IC into 0-10-0's and numbered 3602-3606. If any of this is wrong I'd appreciate receiving corrections.

I believe the other two engines were IC No's. 3600 and 3601 and remember having been told they were originally built for the VS&P and/or the Gulf & Ship Island but have been unable to confirm this. If either or both of these two were former G&SI engines I think they may have originally been oil burners. Any info about the history of these two engines would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Foster

Join SteamAndDieselLocomotiveRosters@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.