Re: Rentz Lumber Co. and the Ocala Northern RR is up on Taplines

Don Hensley <donnie@...>

That would be the East & West Coast Railway, a Seaboard Air Line controlled that ran from around 1913 to abandonment in 1934.
Ran between Manatee and Arcadia, the only other town was "Myakka City".
Built and used by the MIller Lumber Co., then by their successor Dowling & Sons the area was logged out by the early 1930's.
Another logger that crossed the road was King Lumber Co. of Nocatee.
SAL took it over in the late 20's along with the CH&N in their dream of creating a division point out of Arcadia.

Don

Donald R. Hensley, Jr.
277 S Washington St
Waynesburg. PA 15370
724-627-3880
SE Shortline, Industrial & Narrow Gauge History:
www.taplines.net
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To: "steamlocorosters@..." <steamlocorosters@...>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: [steamlocorosters] Rentz Lumber Co. and the Ocala Northern RR is up on Taplines

Don, I've bought your CD's of the March 1946 and January 1910 Official Guides and refer to them often to research questions posed on the Classic Trains forums. I also look forward to the Tap Lines articles and photos such as the current one on the Ocala Northern.

It's been probably 65 years since I drove with my Uncle from Bradenton to Moore Haven on the last of our many fishing trips. I vaguely remember seeing what appeared to be an old railroad grade at places close to the highway between Bradenton and Arcadia. Are you aware if such a line ever existed and if so the name of the road? It appeared to run east-west and probably originated at what would have been the town of Manatee at the time. I recall that this was cattle country but it could have been forested in earlier years in which case the raiload  might have been a logging road. The very existence of this possible old line has nagged me for years and any help you or your contacts could give me in identifying it and its history would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Foster

To: "southeastrrhistory@..." ; "FlaRRHistory@..." ; "southeastforestindustrymodeling@..." ; "steamlocorosters@..." ; 4l <4L@...>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:26 PM
Subject: [steamlocorosters] Rentz Lumber Co. and the Ocala Northern RR is up on Taplines

Rentz Lumber Co. and the Ocala Northern RR
 is up on Taplines after a year and a quarter wait!
I'm sure getting slow in my old age!
Here is the link:
http://taplines.net/ON/ON.html

I'll tackle the Rodman Lumber Co./Ocklawaha Valley RR next,
hopefully it wont take as long.

Hope ya'll had a Happy Thanksgiving!
Don 

Donald R. Hensley, Jr.
277 S Washington St
Waynesburg. PA 15370

724-627-3880
SE Shortline, Industrial & Narrow Gauge History:
www.taplines.net
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Join SteamAndDieselLocomotiveRosters@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.