From: Mark Foster
To: "steamlocorosters@..." <steamlocorosters@...>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: [steamlocorosters] Rentz Lumber Co. and the Ocala Northern RR is up on Taplines

Don, I've bought your CD's of the March 1946 and January 1910 Official Guides and refer to them often to research questions posed on the Classic Trains forums. I also look forward to the Tap Lines articles and photos such as the current one on the Ocala Northern.

It's been probably 65 years since I drove with my Uncle from Bradenton to Moore Haven on the last of our many fishing trips. I vaguely remember seeing what appeared to be an old railroad grade at places close to the highway between Bradenton and Arcadia. Are you aware if such a line ever existed and if so the name of the road? It appeared to run east-west and probably originated at what would have been the town of Manatee at the time. I recall that this was cattle country but it could have been forested in earlier years in which case the raiload  might have been a logging road. The very existence of this possible old line has nagged me for years and any help you or your contacts could give me in identifying it and its history would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Foster