Re: Last Wood Burner

Mark Foster

Thanks for the info Dave. Have you any idea when the M&A retired its wood burner? If I remember correctly the LOP&G operated one until around 1948 and the M&B until at least 1947. I can't find any documentation to support this and of course there could have been another railroad to operate one at an even later date like the M&A which you suggest.

Mark

--- On Sat, 5/17/08, Mt14l@... wrote:

Subject: Re: [steamlocorosters] Last Wood Burner
To: steamlocorosters@...
Date: Saturday, May 17, 2008, 4:59 PM

How about the Mississippi and Alabama 2-6-2 documented in Lucius Beebe's Mixed Train Daily? My failing memory says that lasted later than LOP&G.

Dave Sherron
Bluffton SCf

In a message dated 5/17/2008 5:52:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kramsf@yahoo. com writes:

I would like to know what was the last wood burning locomotive to be used in regular or standby service by a US common carrier. I'm interested in learning the last engine's wheel arrangement, number, railroad on which it ran, and the year it was retired from service. I think one of the Florida/Georgia railroads, the LOP&G, the South Georgia or Marianna & Blounstown, may have been the last to run a wood burner but have been unsuccessful in finding anything on the internet to confirm that. Any info and/or links to a reference would be greatly appreciated.

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

Join SteamAndDieselLocomotiveRosters@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.