SPORTS: BASEBALL: HISTORY : ETHNICITY : ENGLISH LANGUAGE : WORD ORIGINS : CONFLICT : FIGHTS AND FIGHTING: ESPN First Take - Majority of MLB Brawls Start With Different Ethnicities [Leads to Thoughts About the History of Terminology in Baseball]

David P. Dillard

..

..

SPORTS: BASEBALL: HISTORY : ETHNICITY :

ENGLISH LANGUAGE :

WORD ORIGINS :

CONFLICT :

FIGHTS AND FIGHTING:

ESPN First Take

Majority of MLB Brawls Start With Different Ethnicities

[Leads to Thoughts About the History of Terminology in Baseball]

..

..

ESPN First Take - Majority of MLB Brawls Start With Different Ethnicities

ESPN First Take

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=estoUU83TaU

..

Baseball's culture clash: Vast majority of brawls involve differing ethnicities

Jorge L. Ortiz

9:50 a.m. EDT October 1, 2015

USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/09/30/ mlb-bench-clearing-brawls-unwritten-rules-ethnic-backgrounds/73066892/

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/q7hjemw

..

..

A scene from the Texas Rangers clubhouse at Oakland's Coliseum last week neatly captured the blending of cultures thats so prevalent in baseball.

..

As Shin-Soo Choo highlights flashed on a TV screen, a group of seven Latin players sitting around a table some born in the U.S., others abroad howled in delight while the Korean outfielder yelled take that in Spanish at the sight of every line drive.

..

Baseball teams regularly bring together people from diverse backgrounds striving for a common cause, which in the best of circumstances results in the quintessential melting pot. But when the dynamic changes and the bonding element is replaced by the fire of competition, a different kind of brew arises and sometimes boils over.

..

..

Majority of MLB Brawls Start with Different Ethnicities

Google Search Results

http://tinyurl.com/prsghj5

..

..

Some thoughts about baseball terminology for fights in days past and the role of baseball in enriching the English language.

..

..

But how many on this list remember a baseball term that is now, I believe in disuse. I have seen reports of baseball fights ongoing but have not heard this term in a very long time

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What Is The Rhubarb

http://baseballsiscokidstyle.blogspot.com/2014/06/what-is-rhubarb.html

..

Rhubarb (1951 film)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb_%281951_film%29

..

Rhubarb is not just a Vegetable

By Maeve Maddox

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/rhubarb-is-not-just-a-vegetable/

..

RHUBARB

http://tinyurl.com/nc5sy4x

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043967/

..

The New Dickson Baseball Dictionary: A Cyclopedic Reference to More Than 7,000 Words, Names, Phrases, and Slang Expressions that Define the Game, Its Heritage, Culture, and Variations
Author Paul Dickson
Edition illustrated, revised
Publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 1999
ISBN 0156005808, 9780156005807
Length 579 pages

Pages 410-412

http://tinyurl.com/nmktquj

http://tinyurl.com/pklmywg

..

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=rhubarb+and+baseball

http://tinyurl.com/qdjl8qo

http://tinyurl.com/nsfocw3

http://tinyurl.com/nrol9gh

http://tinyurl.com/qymvgsd

http://tinyurl.com/oy8rhbh

Source Type

Archival Material 3
Audio Recording 10
Book / eBook 13,313
Book Chapter 13
Book Review 115
Dissertation 48
Government Document 12
Journal Article 141
Magazine 3
Magazine Article 309
Newsletter 2
Newspaper 19
Newspaper Article 6,316
Photograph 2
Poem 1
Reference 46
Trade Publication Article 12
Transcript 12
Web Resource 4

Rhubarb is not just pie in the sky, it can be served on a dusty home plate surrounded by a nice bright green border of grass.

..

..

These links may be of interest in terms of baseball fights and ethnicity

http://tinyurl.com/pg84hx3

http://tinyurl.com/ncmbcru

http://tinyurl.com/omrpeyo

http://tinyurl.com/oo8vqow

Source Type

Album 11
Archival Material 220
Audio Recording 750
Book / eBook 269,168
Book Chapter 2,062
Book Review 3,972
Case 1
Conference Proceeding 122
Data Set 6
Dissertation 7,602
Electronic Resource 2
Government Document 3,672
Journal / eJournal 8
Journal Article 18,546
Magazine 25
Magazine Article 12,950
Map 1
Market Research 67
Newsletter 300
Newspaper 2,478
Newspaper Article 247,172
Pamphlet 6
Paper 23
Patent 5
Photograph 1
Poem 24
Postcard 1
Publication 25
Publication Article 11
Reference 4,060
Report 231
Research Guide 27
Special Collection 10
Streaming Audio 19
Streaming Video 21
Trade Publication Article 1,006
Transcript 7,334
Video Recording 47
Web Resource 324

..

..

By the way, the term donnybrook has also been used to describe a baseball fight.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&gws_rd=ssl#hl=en&q=donnybrook+AND+baseball

http://tinyurl.com/oewqslo

http://tinyurl.com/putfy4y

..

..

Baseball has certainly enriched the English language and time spent viewing and learning from its vocabulary can be both interesting and edcuational. It even has become part of the law code: "three strikes and your out. Consider these links as sources of evidence.

http://tinyurl.com/pr5cb8h

http://tinyurl.com/ntkvtfm

http://tinyurl.com/o6ag548

http://tinyurl.com/pyeelcz

http://tinyurl.com/pfwzd2x

The baseball season may almost be over, but its language lingers on.

I hope these links make a hit with you folks and I hope I have not battered you with too many sources.

..

..

Searching for baseball AND ("english language" OR "language history" OR "language development" OR "language enrichment" OR "language vocabulary")

Google Scholar

http://tinyurl.com/of7ewhs

..

Google Books

http://tinyurl.com/p36z6kr

..

Google Domain Limited Web Search (JSTOR)

http://tinyurl.com/pmlu4ob

..

Temple Summon Search

http://tinyurl.com/oldc6m7

Source Type

Book / eBook 270
Book Chapter 6
Book Review 26
Dissertation 18
Government Document 1
Journal Article 102
Magazine Article 33
Newsletter 2
Newspaper Article 770
Patent 2
Reference 2
Trade Publication Article 7
Transcript 3
Video Recording 1
Web Resource 3

..

..

WEBBIB1516

http://tinyurl.com/q8tavoy

..

..

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides
http://tinyurl.com/qy3gq6g
AND

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Copyright Research Guide
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism
Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

..

..

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

..

..

Join SportMed@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.