UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT : INTERNET: SITE SEARCH ENGINES : INTERNET: SEARCH ENGINES: BING: Government Department Site Search for Agricultural Research Service of the USDA

David P. Dillard

..

..

This post was sent to several library related lists to report a serious searching problem in using the site search engine for the search tool powered by Bing on the United States Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Research Service. Bing is also used to power the site search engines of a number of other United States Government agencies including USA.GOV.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&gws_rd=ssl#hl= en&q=%22powered+by+bing%22+AND+site:+gov

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/nteknp3

..

..

Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 13:46:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: David P. Dillard <jwne@...>
To: GOVDOC-L@..., BUSLIB-L@..., MEDLIB-L@...,
"law-lib@..." <law-lib@...>
Subject: Government Department Site Search for Agricultural Research Service of
the USDA

First of all, I will be happy to learn of anything I may be doing wrong in using this search tool, I am all ears or in this case, all eyes.

I am working on content such as search results for the Federal Government Agency section of my Statistics Research Guide

http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

I went to this website to use the site search engine.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/main.htm

I entered this search

statistics OR data OR statistical OR demographics OR DEMOGRAPHIC OR demography

I got the following single source as my total search result.

ARS : Home - USDA Agricultural Research Service
www.ars.usda.gov
Nutrient Data Tools; Plant Hardiness Zone Map; USDA National Nutrient Database; .... ARS Publications; ARS Research Success Stories; ARS Timeline; ... [Powered by Bing]

I clicked on the Advanced Search link and found my terms listed as I had entered in the "All of these words" search box.

I cleared that search bar and entered my search in the "any of these words" search box.

I now have 278,000 search results.

But I also notice the Safe Search buttons default is set to moderate.

I change this to off and now have a result of 290,000 sources.

I go to each of these search result pages and discover this search that I have supposedly entered in the search box above the found citations.

(statistics OR OR OR data OR OR OR statistical OR OR OR demographics OR OR OR DEMOGRAPHIC OR OR OR demography)

So I think using OR in the "any of these words" search box may have been redundant, so I just list the terms with no Boolean operator.

I run the search and have my one citation as the only result.

If I have done something drastically wrong, I certainly want to know about it. If that is not the case, some of you may want to let appropriate government officials know about the not very cherry things Bing is doing to their search results, you can even be firm rather than using micro soft words in describing the significance of this problem to them.

The site search at USA.gov will run the search but will not let me enter all of the words in one search statement, so apparently the Bing powered site search engines are also using different breeds of cherries.

statistics OR statistical OR data OR demography

is all the USA.gov site search wants to investigatte.

I cannot blame Bing on this one, however, as it must get very tired looking for all of those words at one time.

I am not having these problems on Federal Government websites that are not using Bing as the site search engine powering the search. I look forward to any feedback.

Everyone have a great weekend.

..

..

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides
http://tinyurl.com/qy3gq6g
AND

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Copyright Research Guide
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism
Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

..

..

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

..

..

Join SportMed@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.