MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY : PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS : EFFECTIVNESS : INTERVENTIONS: Why You Shouldn't Exercise to Lose Weight, Explained with 60+ Studies

David P. Dillard

.

.

MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY :

PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS :

EFFECTIVNESS :

INTERVENTIONS:

Why You Shouldn't Exercise to Lose Weight, Explained with 60+ Studies

.

.

Why You Shouldn't Exercise to Lose Weight, Explained with 60+ Studies

by Julia Belluz and Javier Zarracina

April 28, 2016

Vox

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/ weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/zo78qkm

.

.

"I'm going to make you work hard," a blonde and perfectly muscled fitness instructor screamed at me in a recent spinning class, "so you can have that second drink at happy hour!"

.

At the end of the 45-minute workout, my body was dripping with sweat. I felt like I had worked really, really hard. And according to my bike, I had burned more than 700 calories. Surely I had earned an extra margarita.

.

The spinning instructor was echoing a message we've been getting for years: As long as you get on that bike or treadmill, you can keep indulging and still lose weight. It's been reinforced by fitness gurus, celebrities, food and beverage companies like PepsiCo and Coca-Cola, and even public-health officials, doctors, and the first lady of the United States. Countless gym memberships, fitness tracking devices, sports drinks, and workout videos have been sold on this promise.

.

There's just one problem: This message is not only wrong, it's leading us astray in our fight against obesity.

.

To find out why, I read through more than 60 studies on exercise and weight loss. I also spoke to nine leading exercise, nutrition, and obesity researchers. Here's what I learned.

.

snip

.

.

Topics Covered in This Article

.

1) An evolutionary clue to how our bodies burn calories

2) Exercise is excellent for health

3) Exercise alone is almost useless for weight loss

4) Exercise accounts for a small portion of daily calorie burn

5) It's hard to create a significant calorie deficit through exercise

6) Exercise can undermine weight loss in other, subtle ways

7) Exercise may cause physiological changes that help us conserve energy

8) Energy expenditure might have an upper limit

9) The government and the food industry are doling out unscientific advice

10) So what actually works for weight loss?

.

.

If you embark on a weight-loss journey that involves both adding exercise and cutting calories, Montclair's Diana Thomas warned not to count those calories burned in physical activity toward extra eating.

.

"Pretend you didn't exercise at all," she said. "You will most likely compensate anyway so think of exercising just for health improvement but not for weight loss."

.

.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DIGITAL-SCHOLARSHIP
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism
Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

.

.

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

.

.

Join SportMed@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.