WRITING AND WRITERS: PLAIN ENGLISH WRITING : BIBLIOGRAPHIES : BOOKS : DATABASE SEARCH RESULTS: Plain English Writing

David P. Dillard

..

..

Plain English Writing Sources Including Books and Database Search Results

..

..

WRITING AND WRITERS: PLAIN ENGLISH WRITING :

BIBLIOGRAPHIES :

BOOKS :

DATABASE SEARCH RESULTS:

Plain English Writing

..

..

WEBBIB1516

http://tinyurl.com/q8tavoy

..

..

Plain English Writing

..

..

Federal Plain Language Guidelines

http://www.plainlanguage.gov/index.cfm

Federal Plain Language Guidelines March 2011 - Rev. 1, May 2011
Plain-Language Training
Training Resources
Examples Database (beta)
Plain Language It's the Law
Agency Requirements
Agency PL Webpage
PL in Federal Agencies
Tips and Tools
Starting a Plain-Language Program
Planning a Plain-Language Website

Examples

http://www.plainlanguage.gov/index.cfm

..

American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
http://www.aanp.org/

..

American Academy of Ophthalmology
http://www.aao.org/

..

American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
http://www.aaos.org/

..

American Academy of Physician Assistants
http://www.aapa.org

..

American Association of Health Insurance Plans
http://www.aahip.org/

..

American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging
http://www.aahsa.org/

..

American Association of Orthodontists
http://www.braces.org

..

American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
http://www.acog.org/

..

American College Health Association
http://www.acha.org/

..

American College of Preventive Medicine
http://www.acpm.org/

..

American Council of the Blind
http://www.acb.org/

..

American Counseling Association
http://www.counseling.org/

..

American Dental Hygienists' Association
http://www.adha.org/

..

American Dietetic Association
http://www.eatright.org/

..

American Geriatrics Society
http://www.americangeriatrics.org/

..

American Health Care Association
http://www.ahca.org/

..

American Lung Association
http://www.lungusa.org/

..

American Medical Association
http://www.ama-assn.org/

..

American Medical Student Association
http://www.amsa.org/

..

American Medical Women's Association
http://www.amwa-doc.org/

..

American Nurses Association
http://www.ana.org/

..

American Occupational Therapy Association
http://www.aota.org

..

American Optometric Association
http://www.aoa.org

..

American Pharmaceutical Association
http://www.aphanet.org

..

American Podiatric Medical Association
http://www.apma.org/

..

American Psychological Association
http://www.apa.org/

..

American Red Cross
http://www.redcross.org/

..

American Society of Clinical Pathologists
http://www.ascp.org/

..

American Urological Association
http://www.auanet.org/

..

American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
http://www.aahperd.org

..

Anxiety Disorders Association of America
http://www.adaa.org

..

Arthritis Foundation
http://www.arthritis.org/

..

Association of Clinicians for the Underserved
http://www.clinicians.org

..

Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs
http://www.amchp.org

..

Association of Public Health Laboratories
http://www.aphl.org/

..

Association of Schools of Public Health
http://www.asph.org/

..

Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
http://www.astho.org/

..

Council on Education for Public Health
http://www.ceph.org/

..

Epilepsy Foundation of America
http://www.efa.org/

..

Association of Clinicians for the Underserved

http://www.clinicians.org

..

National Rural Health Association
http://www.ruralhealthweb.org/

..

National Association of Community Health Centers
http://www.nachc.com/

..

National Association of County and City Health Officials
http://www.naccho.org/

..

National Association of Health Data Organizations
http://www.nahdo.org/

..

National Family Caregivers Association
http://www.nfcacares.org

..

National Forum for Health Care Quality Measurement and Reporting
http://www.qualityforum.org

..

National Mental Health Association
http://www.nmha.org/

..

National Network for Immunization Information
http://www.immunizationinfo.org

..

National Public Health Leadership Development Network
http://www.heartlandcenters.slu.edu

..

Society for Nutrition Education
http://www.sne.org

..

The Society of Hospital Medicine
http://www.hospitalmedicine.org

..

Society for Public Health Education
http://www.sophe.org/

..

Federal Plain Language Guidelines

http://www.plainlanguage.gov/

..

Plain Writing FROM The United States Agriculture Department (USDA).

"On July 19, 2012, the Center for Plain Language issued the first
report cardThis is an external link or third-party site outside of
the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) website. of
federal agencies' efforts to comply with the Plain Writing Act.
The report card grades agencies on their efforts to comply with
the Plain Writing Act and each agency's plain writing supporting
activities. USDA received the highest grades among federal
agencies in both categories. We are honored by this success, but
there is more work to do and we need your help. Please let us
know if you have trouble understanding any of our documents."

As a measure of our success, the Center for Plain Language
awarded USDA its second "A" for compliance and a "B" for how
well our documents adhered to plain language principles. We are
proud of our continued success - and will strive to further improve
how well we communicate with you.

Our pledge is in keeping with our long-standing commitment to
provide you with the information you need from us. President
Obama emphasized the importance of establishing "a system of
transparency, public participation, and collaboration" in his
January 21, 2009, Memorandum on Transparency and Open
Government.

The Plain Language Action and Information Network (PLAIN) is the
official interagency working group designated to assist in issuing
plain writing guidance. The PLAIN web site includes guidelines on
plain language and tools for writing in plain language.

Federal Plain Language Web Site
Federal Plain Language Guidelines
Federal Plain Language Tips and Tools
Plain Writing Act of 2010 (PDF)

In addition to the Federal Plain Language website tools and resources
available, USDA has developed its own materials to assist employees
with Plain Language training and compliance, and guide you through
the process of integrating plain writing into covered documents.

Plain Language Writer's Checklist (DOC, 15KB)
Plain Language Reviewer's Checklist (DOC, 13KB)
Plain Language Training Resources (DOC, 23KB)
USDA Plain Writing AgLearn Training (updated course)

Some other good resources developed by other Federal agencies that
discuss how to write using Plain Language in technical writing can be
found using the links listed below. These include guides on how to write
Federal Register notices, legal documents, short rules, and more.

Federal Register Tools for Plain Language
SEC Plain Writing Handbook (PDF)

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=PLAIN_WRITING

..

WRITING AND WRITERS: GUIDES AND HANDBOOKS :

UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT:

Federal Plain Language Guidelines, March 2011

Federal Plain Language Guidelines, March 2011

Plain Language.gov

Improving communications from the Federal Government to the public

Table of Contents

Think about your audience
Identify and write for your audience
Address separate audiences separately
Organize
Organize to meet your readers' needs
Address one person, not a group
Use lots of useful headings
Write short sections
Write your document
Words
Verbs
Use active voice
Use the simplest form of a verb
Avoid hidden verbs
Use "must" to indicate requirements
Use contractions when appropriate
Nouns and pronouns
Don't turn verbs into nouns
Use pronouns to speak directly to readers
Minimize abbreviations
Other word issues
Use short, simple words
Omit unnecessary words
Dealing with definitions
Use the same term consistently for a specific thought or
object
Avoid legal, foreign, and technical jargon
Don't use slashes
Sentences
Write short sentences
Keep subject, verb, and object close together
Avoid double negatives and exceptions to exceptions
Place the main idea before exceptions and conditions
Place words carefully
Paragraphs
Have a topic sentence
Use transition words
Write short paragraphs
Cover only one topic in each paragraph
Other aids to clarity
Use examples
Use lists
Use tables to make complex material easier to understand
Consider using illustrations
Use emphasis to highlight important concepts
Minimize cross-references
Design your document for easy reading
Write for the web
How do people use the web?
Write for your users
Identify your users and their top tasks
Write web content
Repurpose print material for the web
Avoid PDF overload
Use plain-language techniques on the web
Avoid meaningless formal language
Write effective links
Test
Paraphrase Testing
Usability Testing
Controlled Comparative Studies
Testing Successes
Paraphrase Testing from the Veterans Benefits Administration
Usability Testing from the National Cancer Institute

One may download the Word or PDF version of the full Guidelines.

(writers OR "writer s" OR writing) AND (manual OR handbook OR guide)
AND SITE: GOV

"employee manual" OR "employee manuals" OR "employee handbooks"
OR "employee handbook" OR "employee guide" OR "employee guides"

http://tinyurl.com/o684wda

OR

https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/2015/07/13/
writing-and-writers-guides-and-handbooks-united-
states-government-federal-plain-language-guidelines-march-2011/

..

SOCIAL ISSUES :

POVERTY :

ECONOMIC DISCRIMINATION:

Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person

Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person
Updated: 09/03/2014 11:59 am EDT
Gina Crosley-Corcoran
Huffington Post

http://tinyurl.com/n953e3h

..

WRITING AND WRITERS: STYLE AND WRITING MANUALS :

INVESTMENT SECURITIES DOCUMENTS :

UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION:

A Plain English Handbook: How to Create Clear SEC Disclosure Documents

WRITING AND WRITERS: STYLE AND WRITING MANUALS :
UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION:
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
A Plain English Handbook:
How to Create Clear SEC Disclosure Documents
..
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Office of Investor Education and Assistance
A Plain English Handbook:
How to Create Clear SEC Disclosure Documents

"This handbook shows how you can use well-established techniques for
writing in plain English to create clearer and more informative
disclosure documents. We are publishing this handbook only for your
general information. Of course, when drafting a document for filing with
the SEC, you must make sure it meets all legal requirements."

Table of Contents

Preface by Warren E. Buffett 1
Introduction by Arthur Levitt, Chairman 3
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Chapter 1
What Is a Plain English Document? 5
Chapter 2
Getting Started 7
Chapter 3
Knowing Your Audience 9
Chapter 4
Knowing the Information You Need to Disclose 11
Chapter 5
Reorganizing the Document 15
Chapter 6
Writing in Plain English 17
Chapter 7
Designing the Document 37
Chapter 8
Time-Saving Tips 55
Chapter 9
Using Readability Formulas and Style Checkers 57
Chapter 10
Evaluating the Document 59
Chapter 11
Reading List 61
Chapter 12
Keeping in Touch with Us 63
Appendix A Plain English at a Glance 65
The SECs Plain English Rulesan Excerpt 66
Appendix B Plain English Examples 69
Before and After Filings with Notes 70
a plain

From the Preface

"There are several possible explanations as to why I and others sometimes
stumble over an accounting note or indenture description. Maybe we simply
dont have the technical knowledge to grasp what the writer wishes to
convey. Or perhaps the writer doesnt understand what he or she is talking
about. In some cases, moreover, I suspect that a less-thanscrupulous
issuer doesnt want us to understand a subject it feels legally obligated
to touch upon.

Perhaps the most common problem, however, is that a well-intentioned and
informed writer simply fails to get the message across to an intelligent,
interested reader. In that case, stilted jargon and complex constructions
are usually the villains.

This handbook tells you how to free yourself of those impediments to
effective communication. Write as this handbook instructs you and you
will be amazed at how much smarter your readers will think you have
become."

"One unoriginal but useful tip: Write with a specific person in mind.
When writing Berkshire Hathaways annual report, I pretend that Im talking
to my sisters. I have no trouble picturing them: Though highly
intelligent, they are not experts in accounting or finance. They will
understand plain English, but jargon may puzzle them. My goal is simply
to give them the information I would wish them to supply me if our
positions were reversed. To succeed, I dont need to be Shakespeare; I
must, though, have a sincere desire to inform.

No siblings to write to? Borrow mine: Just begin with Dear Doris and
Bertie."

by Warren E. Buffett

Introduction

Investors need to read and understand disclosure documents to benefit
fully from the protections offered by our federal securities laws. Because
many investors are neither lawyers, accountants, nor investment bankers,
we need to start writing disclosure documents in a language investors can
understand: plain English.

The shift to plain English requires a new style of thinking and writing,
whether you work at a company, a law firm, or the U.S. Securities and
Exchange Commission. We must question whether the documents we are used to
writing highlight the important information investors need to make
informed decisions. The legalese and jargon of the past must give way to
everyday words that communicate complex information clearly.

The good news is that more and more companies and lawyers are using plain
English and filing documents with the SEC that others can study, use, and
improve upon. With the SECs plain English rules in place, every prospectus
will have its cover page, summary, and risk factors in plain English.

The benefits of plain English abound. Investors will be more likely to
understand what they are buying and to make informed judgments about
whether they should hold or sell their investments. Brokers and investment
advisers can make better recommendations to their clients if they can read

and understand these documents quickly and easily.

Companies that communicate successfully with their investors form stronger
relationships with them. These companies save the costs of explaining
legalese and dealing with confused and sometimes angry investors. Lawyers
reviewing plain English documents catch and correct mistakes more easily.
Many companies have switched to plain English because its a good business
decision. They see the value of communicating with their investors rather
than sending them impenetrable documents. And as we depend more and

more on the Internet and electronic delivery of documents, plain English
versions will be easier to read electronically than legalese.

The SECs staff has created this handbook to help speed and smooth the
transition to plain English. It includes proven tips from those in the
private sector who have already created plain English disclosure
documents. This handbook reflects their substantial contributions and
those of highly regarded experts in the field who were our consultants on
this project, Dr. William Lutz at Rutgers University and the firm of Siegel

and Gale in New York City.

But I hasten to add that the SEC has not cornered the market on plain
English advice. Our rules and communications need as strong a dose of
plain English as any disclosure document. This handbook gives you some
ideas on what has worked for others, but use whatever works for you.
No matter what route you take to plain English, we want you to produce
documents that fulfill the promise of our securities laws. I urge you in
long and short documents, in prospectuses and shareholder reportsto speak
to investors in words they can understand. Tell them plainly what they
need to know to make intelligent investment decisions."

What Is a Plain English Document?

"Well start by dispelling a common misconception about plain English
writing. It does not mean deleting complex information to make the
document easier to understand. For investors to make informed decisions,
disclosure documents must impart complex information. Using plain English
assures the orderly and clear presentation of complex information so that
investors have the best possible chance of understanding it.

Plain English means analyzing and deciding what information investors need
to make informed decisions, before words, sentences, or paragraphs are
considered. A plain English document uses words economically and at a
level the audience can understand. Its sentence structure is tight. Its
tone is welcoming and direct. Its design is visually appealing. A plain
English document is easy to read and looks like its meant to be read."

This handbooks purpose

"This handbook gives you practical tips on how to create plain English
documents. All of these were born of experience. They come from experts
and those who have already written or rewritten their documents in plain
English.

As with all the advice in this handbook, feel free to tailor these tips to
your schedule, your document, and your budget. Not all of the tips will
apply to everyone or to every document. Pick and choose the ones that make
sense for you.

Some of our tips cover very basic mechanical issues, like how to photocopy
your working draft. Weve included them because they were learned the hard
way and have saved people time, money, and aggravation. Youll see them
listed in Chapter 8, titled Time-Saving Tips.

This handbook is by no means the last word on plain English. We expect to
change it and add more tips as we learn more about writing securities
documents in plain English. So please keep notes on your experiences and
copies of your original and rewritten language. We want to hear from you
and include your tips and rewrites in the next edition.

Finally, we encourage you to give this handbook out freely. It is not
copyrighted, so you can photocopy it without fear of penalty."

https://www.sec.gov/pdf/handbook.pdf

..

WRITING AND WRITERS: STYLE AND WRITING MANUALS :

MEDICINE :

HEALTH :

UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICE.

CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC):

Plain Writing at CDC

Plain language improves communication. Decide who you are trying to
communicate with and decide on your key message. Be clear.

Dr. Thomas Frieden, CDC Director, 2012

Our Promise to the Public: Writing You Can Understand

CDC is committed to using plain writing in information for the public.

Our information is relevant to many groups, and plain writing makes
the information even more useful. The Plain Writing Act of 2010 requires
all federal agencies to write plainly when they communicate with the
public, and CDC is taking many steps to use plain writing.

http://www.cdc.gov/other/plainwriting.html

..

BOOKS: Oxford Guide to Plain English

Oxford Guide to Plain English
Author Martin Cutts
Edition 4
Publisher OUP Oxford, 2013
ISBN 0191649120, 9780191649127
Length 320 pages

Table of Contents

1 Writing short sentences and clear paragraphs
2 Preferring plain words
3 Writing tight
4 Favouring active voice verbs
5 Using vigorous verbs and untying noun strings
6 Using vertical lists
7 Converting negative to positive
8 Cross references cross readers
9 Using good punctuation
10 Pitching your writing at the right level
11 Six writing myths explored and exploded
12 Clearly nonsexist
13 Conquering grammarphobia
14 Sound starts and excellent endings
15 Planning well
16 Using reader centred structure
17 Using alternatives to words words words
18 Management of colleagues writing
19 Good practice with email
20 Writing better instructions
21 Clarity for the Web
22 Lucid legal language
23 Writing low literacy plain English
24 Basics of clear layout

its time to Proof read
commonest words
Sources and notes

http://tinyurl.com/q3ueqzc

..

Oxford Guide to Plain English
Author Martin Cutts
Edition 4
Publisher OUP Oxford, 2013
ISBN 0191649120, 9780191649127
Length 320 pages

..

BOOKS: Legal Writing in Plain English, Second Edition: A Text with Exercises

Legal Writing in Plain English, Second Edition: A Text with Exercises
Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing

Table of Contents

Introduction
Principles for All Legal Writing
Principles Mainly for Analytical and Persuasive Writing
Principles Mainly for Legal Drafting
Principles of Document Design
Methods for Continued Improvement
How to Punctuate
Four Model Documents
Key to Basic Exercises
Bibliography

http://tinyurl.com/nuywydt

..

BOOKS: How to Write Plain English: A Book for Lawyers and Consumers

How to write plain English: a book for lawyers and consumers
Author Rudolf Franz Flesch
Publisher Harper & Row, 1979
ISBN 0060112786, 9780060112783
Length 126 pages

http://tinyurl.com/oo5wlda

..

BOOKS: Grammar in Plain English

Grammar in Plain English
Authors Harriet Diamond, Phyllis Dutwin
Edition illustrated
Publisher Barron's Educational Series, 1997
ISBN 0812096487, 9780812096484
Length 358 pages

Table of Contents

Understanding Time and Number
Adding Descriptive Words
Using Descriptive Words Correctly
Adding Descriptive Phrases
Cumulative Review
Linking Words
Special Problems
Special Problems
Cumulative Review
SUMMARY OF RESULTS
More Punctuation
Capitalization
Spelling
Word Usage
Cumulative Review
SUMMARY OF RESULTS
Pronouns
Cumulative Re view
SUMMARY OF RESULTS
Punctuation
Practice Examination
Guide to Grammatical Terms

http://tinyurl.com/p3adnz5

..

BOOKS: CARs in Plain English

CARs in Plain English
Author Phil Croucher
Publisher Lulu.com, 2001
ISBN 096819284X, 9780968192849
Length 256 pages

Canadian Aviation Regulations Translated

Table of Contents

About the Author
Aircraft Identification
Operation of Leased Aircraft by a Nonregistered Owner
Personnel Licensing and Training
402
Airworthiness
General Operating Flight Rules
Preflight and Fuel Requirements
Technical Records
Commercial Air Services
Air Taxi
Operational Support Services Eqpt
Right Seat Conversion Training
Air Navigation Services

http://tinyurl.com/o23hft7

..

BOOKS: The Plain English Approach to Business Writing

The Plain English Approach to Business Writing
Oxford Paperbacks
Author Edward P. Bailey
Edition illustrated, revised
Publisher Oxford University Press, USA, 1997
ISBN 0195115651, 9780195115659
Length 132 pages

Table of Contents

What is Plain English?
Writing a Readable Sentence
Getting to the Point
Adding Visual Impact
A Model for Writing
More about Style
Passive Voice
Abstractness
Executive Summary
More about Layout
Typefaces
Headings
Bullets
Final Words
The Writing Process
Supervising Writers
Punctuation
More about Organization
Blueprint
Simpler Words and Phrases

http://tinyurl.com/puelvhn

..

BOOKS: Statistics in Plain English

Statistics in Plain English, Third Edition
Author Timothy C. Urdan
Edition 3, revised
Publisher Taylor & Francis, 2010
ISBN 020385117X, 9780203851173
Length 223 pages

Table of Contents

Preface;
Chapter 1 Introduction to Social Science Research Principles and Terminology;
Chapter 2 Measures of Central Tendency;
Chapter 3 Measures of Variability;
Chapter 4 The Normal Distribution;
Chapter 5 Standardization and z Scores;
Chapter 6 Standard Errors;
Chapter 7 Statistical Significance, Effect Size,
and Confidence Intervals;
Chapter 8 Correlation;
Chapter 9 t Tests;
Chapter 10 One-Way Analysis of Variance;
Chapter 11 Factorial Analysis of Variance;
Chapter 12 Repeated-Measures Analysis of Variance;
Chapter 13 Regression.
Chapter 14 The Chi-Square Test of Independence
Chapter 15 Factor Analysis and Reliability Analysis:
Data Reduction Techniques;
Appendices;
Appendix A;
Appendix B;