Topics

Southern Railway Question

Rick Perry

Gentlemen,
There may be an easy answer to this question, but I can't figure it out.
Southern Rwy. used a colour named "Virginia Green" on it's passenger locomotives. This was often called Southern Green. Does anyone know a make and colour number of this shade of green?
When I volunteered at the Southern Steam Shops, we had a forklift(and also #4501 and #630) painted Virginia Green and I have a hankering to paint my forklift the same.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rick Perry
Hurtsboro, Ala.

Alan Maples

This old thread on the Southern_Railway yahoo site may help:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southern_railway/message/12833

Alan Maples

--- In southeastrrhistory@..., "Rick" <railsend@...> wrote:

Gentlemen,
Southern Rwy. used a colour named "Virginia Green" on it's passenger locomotives. This was often called Southern Green. Does anyone know a make and colour number of this shade of green?
When I volunteered at the Southern Steam Shops, we had a forklift(and also #4501 and #630) painted Virginia Green and I have a hankering to paint my forklift the same.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rick Perry
Hurtsboro, Ala.

Frank Greene

Southern passenger steam locomotive drawing references "dark sylvan green" and gives a DuPont paint code. However, the code is now invalid since they no longer make paint to the old chemistry (e.g., no lead). The DuPont Imron green used on 4501 for her last repaint by NS (before being retired to TVRM), Southern E8 6900 at NCTM, NS GP59 4610 and NS Southern Heritage ES44AC 8099 are the current version of "dark sylvan green". However, DuPont sold off their paint manufacturing recently and I have no idea what the buyer intends to do with the Imron Industrial Coatings paint line.

Now, the quick and dirty solution is to buy a can of Rustoleum "forest green" (I think that's the color's name) and do like Pegram Shop did on the Southern Crescent E8's. I don't recall anyone ever complaining that they were not painted the correct color.

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

On 7/3/2013 10:13 PM, Rick wrote:
Gentlemen,
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rick Perry
Hurtsboro, Ala.

Rick Perry

Frank,
Thanks. At steam shops we used a rattle can of green that was marketed by Broma. I used to get it for them from the wholesale company I worked for, but can not remember the colour. Unfortunately, the steam shops, the wholesaler and Broma are now all out of business and I have no colour chips to refresh my old, often faulty memory..... Rustoleum forest green is too dark as I remember. Will have to find my colour cards and check it out tho'.
Hope every one on the list is having a great, but safe July 4th!
Rick

--- In southeastrrhistory@..., Frank Greene <frgreene290@...> wrote:

Southern passenger steam locomotive drawing references "dark sylvan
green" and gives a DuPont paint code. However, the code is now invalid
since they no longer make paint to the old chemistry (e.g., no lead).
The DuPont Imron green used on 4501 for her last repaint by NS (before
being retired to TVRM), Southern E8 6900 at NCTM, NS GP59 4610 and NS
Southern Heritage ES44AC 8099 are the current version of "dark sylvan
green". However, DuPont sold off their paint manufacturing recently and
I have no idea what the buyer intends to do with the Imron Industrial
Coatings paint line.

Now, the quick and dirty solution is to buy a can of Rustoleum "forest
green" (I think that's the color's name) and do like Pegram Shop did on
the Southern Crescent E8's. I don't recall anyone ever complaining that
they were not painted the correct color.

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN

On 7/3/2013 10:13 PM, Rick wrote:
Gentlemen,
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rick Perry
Hurtsboro, Ala.

Mitchell Green

Rick,
  Here's an idea.Check with your local hobby shop and see what paints they carry.Perhaps,by chance,the manufacturer might be able to direct you to a source.

Mitchell

To: southeastrrhistory@...
Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:49 PM
Subject: [southeastrrhistory] Re: Southern Railway Question

Frank,
Thanks. At steam shops we used a rattle can of green that was marketed by Broma. I used to get it for them from the wholesale company I worked for, but can not remember the colour. Unfortunately, the steam shops, the wholesaler and Broma are now all out of business and I have no colour chips to refresh my old, often faulty memory..... Rustoleum forest green is too dark as I remember. Will have to find my colour cards and check it out tho'.
Hope every one on the list is having a great, but safe July 4th!
Rick

--- In mailto:southeastrrhistory%40yahoogroups.com, Frank Greene wrote:
>
> Southern passenger steam locomotive drawing references "dark sylvan
> green" and gives a DuPont paint code. However, the code is now invalid
> since they no longer make paint to the old chemistry (e.g., no lead).
> The DuPont Imron green used on 4501 for her last repaint by NS (before
> being retired to TVRM), Southern E8 6900 at NCTM, NS GP59 4610 and NS
> Southern Heritage ES44AC 8099 are the current version of "dark sylvan
> green". However, DuPont sold off their paint manufacturing recently and
> I have no idea what the buyer intends to do with the Imron Industrial
> Coatings paint line.
>
> Now, the quick and dirty solution is to buy a can of Rustoleum "forest
> green" (I think that's the color's name) and do like Pegram Shop did on
> the Southern Crescent E8's. I don't recall anyone ever complaining that
> they were not painted the correct color.
>
> Frank Greene
> Memphis, TN
>
> On 7/3/2013 10:13 PM, Rick wrote:
> > Gentlemen,
> > There may be an easy answer to this question, but I can't figure it out.
> > Southern Rwy. used a colour named "Virginia Green" on it's passenger locomotives. This was often called Southern Green. Does anyone know a make and colour number of this shade of green?
> > When I volunteered at the Southern Steam Shops, we had a forklift(and also #4501 and #630) painted Virginia Green and I have a hankering to paint my forklift the same.
> > Any suggestions?
> > Thanks,
> > Rick Perry
> > Hurtsboro, Ala.
>