From: SoutheasternRailroadHistory@groups.io [mailto:SoutheasternRailroadHistory@groups.io] On Behalf Of w. Aardsma
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:14 PM
To: SoutheasternRailroadHistory@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SoutheasternRailroadHistory] BAY LINE questions

i've heard of cases where the name of the railroad was more grandiose than their actual service. Now that i'm about to be "carded" on it my usual examples don't come to mind, the only one that i can recall is the Philadelphia and Atlantic City which had no intention of crossing the Delaware to Phila, rather passengers in PHila. had to ferry over to Camden in order to ride The Kansas Pacific might be another example although they initially intended to reach California but only got as far as Colorado. other examples will probably come to me in the middle of some night. Another thought is that you may reach Atlanta or the Pacific if you ride with us and make connections.

Marv Clemons

Georgia Pacific

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018, 12:13 PM w. Aardsma <wj2a2mo@...> wrote:
i've heard of cases where the name of the railroad was more grandiose than their actual service. Now that i'm about to be "carded" on it my usual examples don't come to mind, the only one that i can recall is the Philadelphia and Atlantic City which had no intention of crossing the Delaware to Phila., rather passengers in PHila. had to ferry over to Camden in order to ride. The Kansas Pacific might be another example although they initially intended to reach California but only got as far as Colorado. other examples will probably come to me in the middle of some night. Another thought is that you may reach Atlanta or the Pacific if you ride with us and make connections.

BRIAN JOHNSTON

What about the Mobile & Gulf Railroad short line? It was west of Tuscaloosa, and never got near Mobile nor the Gulf?
Also, the Frisco, St Louis - San Francisco RR, never made it to San Francisco.
Brian Johnston

To: SoutheasternRailroadHistory@groups.io
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 12:13 PM

i've heard of cases where the
name of the railroad was more grandiose than their actual
service. Now that i'm about to be "carded" on
it my usual examples don't come to mind, the only one
that i can recall is the Philadelphia and Atlantic City
which had no intention of crossing the Delaware to Phila.,
rather passengers in PHila. had to ferry over to Camden in
order to ride. The Kansas Pacific might be another example
although they initially intended to reach California but
only got as far as Colorado. other examples will probably
come to me in the middle of some night. Another thought is
that you may reach Atlanta or the Pacific if you ride with
us and make connections.

taplines

Richard
The Bay Line was never meant to reach Atlanta, but in a way they did reach that city via the Central of Georgia at Dothan. You could take a coach or a Pullman from Panama City to Atlanta and back to Panama City. The Central of Georgia provided the Atlanta connection for both passenger, express and freight.
Don

taplines

The Birmingham Columbus & St. Andrews never made it to any of those places by its own rails. It had trackage rights over the Southport Lumber Co. to reach the Bay, but it had planned to reach Dothan (like the Bay Line) to reach the other places in its name via ACL and Central of Georgia, but that line was surveyed and partially graded but never was finished before bankruptcy.
Don

Warren Stephens

In some instances the grandiose name takes on one meaning but in reality it was meant to reflect another.  Take the 92 mile long Tennessee, Alabama & Georgia Railway. If you assume it derived that name because it clipped the corner of Alabama and Georgia but originated in Chattanooga, TN you would be wrong. The original name of the railroad was the Chattanooga Southern. The new TAG moniker was meant to reflect the merger of the CS with two proposed railroads that never got off the drawing board. One the logical extension to Birmingham and another line to Atlanta by way of Trion, GA and Rome, GA.

Warren D. Stephens

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:20 PM, taplines <photos@...> wrote:

Richard
The Bay Line was never meant to reach Atlanta, but in a way they did reach that city via the Central of Georgia at Dothan. You could take a coach or a Pullman from Panama City to Atlanta and back to Panama City. The Central of Georgia provided the Atlanta connection for both passenger, express and freight.
Don

B.Rumary

On 15/03/2018 17:13, w. Aardsma wrote:
i've heard of cases where the name of the railroad was more grandiose than their actual service. Now that i'm about to be "carded" on it my usual examples don't come to mind, the only one that i can recall is the Philadelphia and Atlantic City which had no intention of crossing the Delaware to Phila., rather passengers in PHila. had to ferry over to Camden in order to ride. The Kansas Pacific might be another example although they initially intended to reach California but only got as far as Colorado. other examples will probably come to me in the middle of some night. Another thought is that you may reach Atlanta or the Pacific if you ride with us and make connections.

Denver, South Park & Pacific?

But then the majority of railroads with "Pacific" in their title never got anywhere near that ocean. Only a few really big and wealthy lines made it there.

--
Brian Rumary
England