Topics

Alcolu Railroad History & Photos

Tom Fetters

I just spent 8 months building a120 page book manuscript on the Alcolu Railroad, and D W Alderman's logging lines that were in north eastern South Carolina between Manning, Sumter, Florence and Kingstree.  Very few photos available, but interested in any photos of the railroads or Sawmills.

This remote area gave mapmakers fits as they misplaced depots, and rivers and swamps and town locations so that many are just plain wrong.  But the cartographers were in Illinois or New York and tried to work with localized notes.

While the Alcolu is pretty well delineated, the Alderman logging lines are poorly recorded.  Track was often shifted from logging tram road to common Carrier railroad, but the company's Paroda Railroad existed in three different formats, usually for only five years or so, before being pulled up.  One to Lynches River from Coles; one from Paroda Junction to Bethel Siding (arrow straight to south) and south east from Paroda Junction to Mims, Thagpen, Cades (the second one), and Hebron.

Any one out there with old stories of the company?

I see another month or two to finish up.

Tom Fetters
tfetters1 @ comcast.net