From: JONATHAN NELSON [mailto:oldflorida53@...]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2018 9:36 PM
To: Seth Bramson <sbramson@...>; fecrailwayhistory@...; FECrailway@...; SoutheasternRailroadHistory@groups.io; floridarailroading@...; 'Florida East Coast Railway Society' <fecrailway@...>
Cc: BBramson@...
Subject: Re: 53 YEARS AGO TODAY....

So many wonderful memories on that little streamliner! I would meet #1 almost every day on my bike after 8th and 9th grade. Mr.Smart or engineer Chase would always give me the train orders. Most Saturdays I would go as far as Cocoa on her and then back to Miami on the SAL,SCL  or N Miami on the FEC.  Wish she was still running. After service stopped, the N Miami agent, Victoria Hindmarsh went to work as office manager for my father until the early 80's.

Jonathan Nelson

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 9:05 PM, Seth Bramson <sbramson@...> wrote:

….and it really and truly seems and feel like today.

On this day and date, August 2, 1965, my beloved brother Bennett and I rode FEC numbers 2 and 1, the resurrected “strike” passenger train from Miami to Vero and return.  As some of you know I carried a big sign that Bennett (a talented artist) had made for me showing a person embracing a blue FEC E-9, both of us with big smiles and the wording “WELCOME BACK! WE MISSED YOU!”

Jonathan Nelson and his dear dad, Theodore (Ted) met us back in North Miami and that is where we first met, lo those many years ago.  It really was wonderful with John Smart the on-board train passenger agent (a role Myrna would fill on board the Centennial train from Hialeah Yard to Arena Station with me serving, at Mr. Thornton’s and Mr. Zellers’ request as the train’s conductor, Myrna and I going through the train and punching the special ticket which we had made for that great event) on the NM to Vero and return portion and Mort Livingston serving in that same capacity from Jack U. T. to Vero and return. (The trains met at Vero and exchanged crews; Messrs. Smart and Livingston were long time employees serving in that same capacity on board various FEC trains)

The next day the picture of me carrying the sign was not only on the front page of the Miami Herald with the full story but was carried by wire service nationwide and appeared in papers from coast to coast including the L A Times, Chicago Tribune or Sun Times and one of the NY papers, possibly the Times  Sadly, however, three years later, Jonathan and I (don’t remember if Bennett was with us, but I think he was) took the same round trip (I had done it many times while the train was operating) on July 31, 1968, the last day of regularly scheduled FEC passenger train service.