What's this?

William Nelson <wnnelson@...>

The listing says milling attachment South Bend. But what is it?
www.ebay.com/itm/165072266390

m. allan noah

Interesting, looks like some kind of hand shaper. SB made a mica undercutter, but it is much lighter duty than this.

allan

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Bill in OKC too

No clue here, anyway! Good luck finding out!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 09:36:49 AM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

The listing says milling attachment South Bend. But what is it?
www.ebay.com/itm/165072266390

ww_big_al

My guess is it is for cutting key ways and such. Like mentioned, a shaper.

Al Knack

On Sep 15, 2021, at 2:10 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

No clue here, anyway! Good luck finding out!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 09:36:49 AM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

The listing says milling attachment South Bend. But what is it?
www.ebay.com/itm/165072266390

Andrei

Could this be for one of the South Bend vertical milling machines? You know, the ones that look like a Bridgeport.

No clue here, anyway! Good luck finding out!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 09:36:49 AM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

The listing says milling attachment South Bend. But what is it?
www.ebay.com/itm/165072266390

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

It LOOKS to just have the function of a lever operated compound slide, so is it a production accessory for putting tapers on shafts? Equally, it would shape a keyway at any angle within its range, but the spindle would require to be locked, and possibly phased to some other feature on the work.

Eddie

My guess is it is for cutting key ways and such. Like mentioned, a shaper.

Al Knack

On Sep 15, 2021, at 2:10 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

No clue here, anyway! Good luck finding out!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 09:36:49 AM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

The listing says milling attachment South Bend. But what is it?
www.ebay.com/itm/165072266390

Thomas G Brandl

Is this a culminator? To undercut the sectors on an electrical motor. Looks similar, but possibly different.

EXTERNAL SENDER: This email originated outside of Cummins. Do not click links or open attachments unless you verify the sender and know the content is safe.

Could this be for one of the South Bend vertical milling machines? You know, the ones that look like a Bridgeport.

No clue here, anyway! Good luck finding out!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 09:36:49 AM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

The listing says milling attachment South Bend. But what is it?
www.ebay.com/itm/165072266390

Ondrej Krejci

Hello,

May be it's a relieving attachment with missing parts?
backing off lathe , form relieving a gear hob

Good luck,

OK

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 03:54:12 PM EDT, Thomas G Brandl <thomas.g.brandl@...> wrote:

Is this a culminator? To undercut the sectors on an electrical motor. Looks similar, but possibly different.

EXTERNAL SENDER: This email originated outside of Cummins. Do not click links or open attachments unless you verify the sender and know the content is safe.

Could this be for one of the South Bend vertical milling machines? You know, the ones that look like a Bridgeport.

No clue here, anyway! Good luck finding out!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 09:36:49 AM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

The listing says milling attachment South Bend. But what is it?
www.ebay.com/itm/165072266390

mike allen

        With nothing to scale it to so I'm a guessing here that it looks to have maybe a 1"-maybe 2 " stroke . SO that would seem to put a limiting factor . But , that's it , that's all I got .

animal

Could this be for one of the South Bend vertical milling machines? You know, the ones that look like a Bridgeport.

No clue here, anyway! Good luck finding out!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 09:36:49 AM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

The listing says milling attachment South Bend. But what is it?
www.ebay.com/itm/165072266390

Steven H

I looked through the 1963 and 1973 South Bend catalogs that I have and did NOT see any accessory that looked like that item. One catalog includes lathes, mills, shapers, and all the accessories.

Steve Haskell
Troy, MI

Davis Johnson

A hand-lever cross-slide? That would be a relatively uncommon production device.

It doesn't look to me like it would replace either the cross slide or compound on either of my lathes.