Topics

tune up

Fred Flintstone

Happy holidays all,

What is the best book/video on tuning up my lathe?

Does anyone know the best for tuning up my bridgeport?

Take care,
Mark

Steven H

Regarding your lathe, go to the Files section of the Group. There is a file name TechInfo that has information on adjusting the backgears and checking and adjusting the spindle bearings. Should be some info on ‘leveling’ your lathe also somewhere in the files.

Steve Haskell
Troy, MI

On Dec 21, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Fred Flintstone via groups.io <stoeger666@...> wrote:

Happy holidays all,

What is the best book/video on tuning up my lathe?

Does anyone know the best for tuning up my bridgeport?

Take care,
Mark

Bill in OKC too

Depends on what you mean by "tuning up." If you're trying to get a lathe running that has been out of service for some time, the books from Illion Press are great. I've got a Heavy 10L, vintage 1941, and the book for it (with a kit of replacement wicks for the oiling system) is under $90, depending on where you get it. Ebay has a better price, Amazon maybe ships a little quicker. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K58YD2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Search on the model you have, and they probably have the book, which I found invaluable! Mine isn't completely restored, but I've not broken anything following their instructions, either. ;)

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)