Topics

Thread dial for circa 1938 13”

ronbelau@...

eBay has several 3D printed thread dials listed at pretty economical prices. But most for the 9”to 10“ lathes.   I know I need a 24 tooth gear for my 1”-6 tooth lead screw that is available, but my question: will the casting from the 9/10 fit my 13?  There are no mounting holes so I’ll have to drill and tap them into the carriage casting.  Any specs and assistance will be greatly appreciated-thanks.

Louis

As long as you can mount it where it reaches the lead screw  center you should be good to go. I've made up several thread dials including for my South Bend 9" and the only requirement is correct reach and correct gear ratio.

v.gearheardt@...

Any thread dial gauge for a 9-13 will work. Not the later, '50s 9s nor 10Ks. What do you mean you have no mounting holes? Maybe they are just painted over but they are there for sure.

Davis Johnson

Somewhere I've seen an instruction sheet from SBL detailing how and where to drill a mounting hole for a thread dial. Didn't have to do it on either of mine, but some apparently left the factory without a hole (or holes, depending on the model).

On 7/9/20 4:32 PM, v.gearheardt@... wrote:
Any thread dial gauge for a 9-13 will work. Not the later, '50s 9s nor 10Ks. What do you mean you have no mounting holes? Maybe they are just painted over but they are there for sure.

Jim_B

Those are instructions for a early 9” Workshop. Should be in the files section.
They could act as a guide.
If you can’t find them let me know.

-8
Jim B,

--
Jim B

David Beierl

Maybe they are just painted over but they are there for sure.

We have a 1927 gap bed 13" -- no mounting holes for thread dial.

Yrs,

m. allan noah

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 4:32 PM <v.gearheardt@...> wrote:

Any thread dial gauge for a 9-13 will work. Not the later, '50s 9s nor 10Ks. What do you mean you have no mounting holes? Maybe they are just painted over but they are there for sure.
You are just making stuff up now- Many 13" lathes have 6 TPI
leadscrews, so you want a 24 tooth gear instead of 32 used on the
smaller lathes. Also, the apron will not be drilled for a dial if the
lathe never had one.

allan
of my hand"

Todd

I just posted my 13" for sale as parts and It has a thread dial. It is an older single handle gearbox, so maybe the dial you need ?
 Model 186-B, serial number is 61491

myhilo

Where did you post your 13" .
Link please.