Topics

Southbend 15 lathe

Daniel Naunton

I have a southbend 15" by 8' manual change gear lathe catalog number 121-e . I have been looking for quick change gear but to no avail.  When looking at the specs it has the same size leadcrew as a 16" which seems to be a more common lathe and I see quick gear boxes for sale. Does anyone know if I bought the gear box and the appropriate lead screw should it work .

Cheers

Andrei

I bet your lathe would be a great candidate for an electronic lead screw (ELS). It allows you to make ANY thread you want. I found this a while back online. It will run about 250-300 bucks or so, delivered. All you need is add your little stepper or servo. It will be much cheaper than any quick-change box and it will make literally any thread you want. It beats, hands down the ELS sold by autoartisans as a cobbled-togehter DIY ELS. 

They also have a bigger unit meant for a production shop, and even that one is only about twice the price of the unit linked below. 

How can you go wrong?

The electronic lead screw turns a simple lathe into a cycle lathe! It replaces the gear completely and drives the X and Z axis of the lathe via one or two stepper motors.
www.rocketronics.de

Daniel Naunton

I will definitely have to look into that especially As I was going to buy a dro and looks like that does that too.

Bit of figuring out to exactly what I will to make it operational.

Cheers

bob

This 15" SB is being scrapped. I have completely disassembled it. It was in good working order in our shop but the bed had been badly abused by a previous owner. I was able to thread and machine parts to close tolerance on it. Our shop is closed until Jan 8 and the pieces will not be available until then if you can wait that long.

Daniel Naunton

Thanks Bob. Let me know when you guys are back. Cheers

Daniel Naunton

402 871 6855

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of bob <atwatterkent@...>
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2020 8:15:54 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Southbend 15 lathe

This 15" SB is being scrapped. I have completely disassembled it. It was in good working order in our shop but the bed had been badly abused by a previous owner. I was able to thread and machine parts to close tolerance on it. Our shop is closed until Jan 8 and the pieces will not be available until then if you can wait that long.

Sam

If it was working before you tore it apart, it's too late for you- but for others consider this

It would be a completely useful lathe in a welding shop, no worries to keep it pristine, perfect for weld prep on pipe, or as a huge weld positioner for spray welding up bearing surfaces, or worn journals, or all the other ways they could abuse it.

Plus when you go to sell it, just one phone call, one buyer, one ad.

parting out some old machine with few others looking for those parts - not that much demand + way too many phone calls and such.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 9:19 PM Daniel Naunton <Dannaunton@...> wrote:

Daniel Naunton

402 871 6855

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of bob <atwatterkent@...>

Todd

Someone posted yesterday looking for a leadscrew and gearbox for a 15"   sounds like your 1st sale

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Sam <i.am.sam.sam.i.am2008@...>
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2020 2:38:26 AM

If it was working before you tore it apart, it's too late for you- but for others consider this

It would be a completely useful lathe in a welding shop, no worries to keep it pristine, perfect for weld prep on pipe, or as a huge weld positioner for spray welding up bearing surfaces, or worn journals, or all the other ways they could abuse it.

Plus when you go to sell it, just one phone call, one buyer, one ad.

parting out some old machine with few others looking for those parts - not that much demand + way too many phone calls and such.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 9:19 PM Daniel Naunton <Dannaunton@...> wrote:

Daniel Naunton

402 871 6855

bob

The lead screw is a couple of feet too long so it would have to be cut and the end machined but it is way too long to ship so it would have to be picked up. I'm about 50 miles south of Chicago.

bob

I've had people come up from Texas and New York though so this wouldn't be much more than a day trip.