Topics

South Bend Spindle Oil

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

   Hello Folks,

 I'm trying to figure out what type of spindle oil to use for my Heavy 10 and my 9" South Bend Lathes and want to but a gallon from Mcmaster-Carr.

Any help will be Greatly Appreciated .

Thnk You

Aolec Ryals

With low viscosity to penetrate tight spaces, these oils lubricate high-speed spindles in machine tools.

Viscosity Grade

Each
Package
ISO SAE SSU Size Container
Type
Color With
Detergent
  Each Pkg.
Qty.
  Pkg.
Mobil Velocite No. 6 Mineral Base Oil
10 __ 59 @ 100° F 1 gal. Jug Amber No 2158K23 $26.12 6 2158K231 $142.50
Mobil Velocite No. 10 Mineral Base Oil
22 5W 107 @ 100° F 1 gal. Jug Amber No 2158K24 28.39 6 2158K241 153.66
Mineral Base Oil
10 __ 60 @ 100° F 1 gal. Jug Yellow No 13595K51 20.29 6 13595K511 110.10
15 __ 75 @ 100° F 1 gal. Jug Yellow No 13595K61 17.45 6 13595K611 94.62
22 5W 100 @ 100° F 1 gal. Jug Yellow No 13595K71 19.13 6 13595K711 103.74

__._,_.___

Posted by: armne@...

Tod Jones

On ‎Thursday‎, ‎June‎ ‎7‎, ‎2018‎ ‎02‎:‎43‎:‎39‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EDT, armne@... <armne@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim_B

But as noted Blu Chip is a good source

Jim B.

[...]

__

[...]

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (1)

Jim B

mike allen

        I got all my oil's from WW Grainger , their all over the country https://www.grainger.com/ give them what you need from the list below & they will cross it to what they carry & if not in stock they usually can

        have it in 2-3 days & they ship also

        animal

On 6/7/2018 10:08 AM, Jim_B wrote:

But as noted Blu Chip is a good source

Jim B.

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

  Thank You ! Seems no one likes Mac-master-Carr ?

Date: Saturday, June 16, 2018, 11:34 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTH-BEND-LATHE-RECOMMENDED-A-B-and-C-LATHE-OILS/321146352222?hash=item4ac5d0725e:g:V7UAAOxymiVQ~cQk

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at
11:43 PM, armne@...
<armne@...>
wrote:

[...]

william B. Mispel

    Hi,

 You can do what ever you wish , BUT!

I have used chainsaw bar oil on my 1942 9" tool room since

I purchased it in practically as good as new condition.

Spindle - ways- etc the whole machine. It has been in  almost

constant use. As a subcontractor. It is just as accurate as the day

I purchased  it in i980.

 Just thought I would mention it.

Bruce

On 6/16/2018 11:34 PM, Earl White wrote:

[...]

bode528@...

Let's see if I can post this correctly.  These are the original oils and the current versions.  One problem is that DTE Light only comes in 5 gallons now.  I use it for hydraulics in my surface grinder so I buy 15 gallons at a time.  I buy my oil from MSC but there should be better choices.

Machine Oil Saybolt Universal Viscosity Rating in Seconds @ 100oF
  Type A (100 sec)   Type B (150 - 240 sec)   Type C (250 - 500 sec)   Bed Way Oil (300 - 500 sec)
Original Oil Mobil Velocite Oil 10 (ISO VG 22 - - 20.2 cST @ 40oC viscosity)   Mobil Gargoyle Vactra Oil Light     Mobil Gargoyle Vactra Oil Heavy Medium
Current Oil Mobil Velocite Oil 10 (ISO VG 22 - - 20.2 cST @ 40oC viscosity)   Mobil DTE Light (ISO 32 - - SAE 10)     Mobil DTE Heavy Medium (ISO 68 - - SAE 20)   Mobil Vactra Oil No. 2 (ISO VG 68) - - Medium Way Oil