Topics

South Bend "Heavy" 9" 480YN: Interior Paint Question

Vince Eugenio

Hi folks,

I have a 1935 South Bend 480 YN with a 36" bed that I recently purchased that is undergoing a restoration. I went to Sherwin Williams and was able to get a perfect paint match to an NOS Tail stock wrench from 1935 that was in the same blue/grey as the rest of the lathe. The interior of the lathe is painted in this off yellow color which I have seen in pictures of one other SB 9 lathe. Was this a standard practice back in the day and why the color difference? What are your thoughts on replicating the color or painting it the same color as the rest of the lathe? Thanks in advance!!!

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

My Myford is grey but with the inner parts cream (ex factory). I believe it is done conventionally to facilitate the finding of small parts that disappear when parted off or are otherwise dropped.

Eddie

------ Original Message ------
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Sent: Monday, 30 Nov, 20 At 20:07
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] South Bend "Heavy" 9" 480YN: Interior Paint Question

Hi folks,

I have a 1935 South Bend 480 YN with a 36" bed that I recently purchased that is undergoing a restoration. I went to Sherwin Williams and was able to get a perfect paint match to an NOS Tail stock wrench from 1935 that was in the same blue/grey as the rest of the lathe. The interior of the lathe is painted in this off yellow color which I have seen in pictures of one other SB 9 lathe. Was this a standard practice back in the day and why the color difference? What are your thoughts on replicating the color or painting it the same color as the rest of the lathe? Thanks in advance!!!

pshooter_243

I went to Sherwin Williams here in Canada last week and they were NO help at all. They looked at me as if I had 2 heads!!! What type of paint did you get? 

Sent from my Galaxy

Andrei

Sherwin Williams makes this protective paint

Direct-to-Metal Alkyd Enamel

They can mix just about any color you want. If yuo open an account with them, you would get a tiny discount. At least here in USA.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of pshooter_243 <scottheaslip63@...>
Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 9:21 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] South Bend "Heavy" 9" 480YN: Interior Paint Question

I went to Sherwin Williams here in Canada last week and they were NO help at all. They looked at me as if I had 2 heads!!! What type of paint did you get? 

Sent from my Galaxy

Vince Eugenio

Hi folks!

I went to Sherwin Williams and purchased a gallon of SHER-CRYL HPA. It is designed as a protective industrial and marine coating. We discussed several options including DTM as I wanted something that would be very resistant to chemicals and abrasion. The list price was $86 dollars, and I paid $36 after opening an account. I had a NOS SB tailstock wrench from 1935 that was blue/gray which was the original color of my lathe. They matched it perfectly. I brush painted one small part, and the paint flowed out nicely and appears to be very tough, though time will tell. 

--

Regards,

Vince

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

+1 on the SW direct to metal paint.  I also use their metal primer as an undercoat, then put this on as a top coat, usually two coats.  Very good stuff, even though their staff don’t seem to know much about it.

Glenn 

On Dec 1, 2020, at 6:42 AM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

They can mix just about any color you want. If yuo open an account with them, you would get a tiny discount. At least here in USA.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of pshooter_243 <scottheaslip63@...>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] South Bend "Heavy" 9" 480YN: Interior Paint Question

Sent from my Galaxy

George Meinschein

I went with Sherwin Williams Industrial Enamel HS and had them mix it in the "Serious Gray" color.  I use a brush and it flows out beautifully.  One coat.  Dries to a high gloss.  I'm a happy camper!  First sales person at the store was very close to useless and advised that I stop back and speak with the manager or go to their Industrial Paint store about 30 minutes away.  I stopped back a few weeks later.  Spoke with the manager and he got me squared away.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional "C&R Eligible" firearms

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500
Email: bustedguns@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
www.meinscheinengineering.com
On 12/1/2020 10:41 AM, glenn brooks wrote:
+1 on the SW direct to metal paint.  I also use their metal primer as an undercoat, then put this on as a top coat, usually two coats.  Very good stuff, even though their staff don’t seem to know much about it.

Glenn 

On Dec 1, 2020, at 6:42 AM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

Sent from my Galaxy

Virus-free. www.avast.com

John Griffin

Vince,
That "interior yellow" paint is very probably zinc chromate primer.
This type of metal primer used to be very common. It's still available, and still works very well. Common to dip prime castings before final finish machining; bet this was done by SB. Mostly used in the marine trades these days. Example is Seymour 16-897.
Hope this helps!
john

Vince Eugenio

Thanks John, makes total sense! Looks pretty reasonably priced as well, around  $15 per spray can which would be plenty to do a 36 inch bed. 

--

Regards,

Vince

Rick Rick

There are two types of Sherwin Williams stores.

The standard “paint your house” type and the commercial stores.

The typically the commercial stores have industrial paints and even automotive paint and powder coating colors.

Where I live we only have the home style store.

I have to travel some 50 miles to find the industrial store.

ww_big_al

That is good to know. Learned something new. Thank You

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Rick
Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 11:17 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io

The typically the commercial stores have industrial paints and even automotive paint and powder coating colors.

Eugene Eman

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020, 18:17 Rick Rick <crvtfan@...> wrote:

Andrei

After you enter your zip code, pick from the drop-down the commercial paint stores. You may have to drive a ways, as they are very few (in small towns or rural areas) when compared to the regular stores. The regular stores can provide you the same paint, but only as a special order that may take a few days to arrive. 

YMMV, depending on where you live. 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Eugene Eman <eugene.eman01@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 3, 2020 8:08 AM

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020, 18:17 Rick Rick <crvtfan@...> wrote: