From: "Vince Eugenio" <vince.eugenio.phd@...>
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Sent: Monday, 30 Nov, 20 At 20:07
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] South Bend "Heavy" 9" 480YN: Interior Paint Question

Hi folks,

I have a 1935 South Bend 480 YN with a 36" bed that I recently purchased that is undergoing a restoration. I went to Sherwin Williams and was able to get a perfect paint match to an NOS Tail stock wrench from 1935 that was in the same blue/grey as the rest of the lathe. The interior of the lathe is painted in this off yellow color which I have seen in pictures of one other SB 9 lathe. Was this a standard practice back in the day and why the color difference? What are your thoughts on replicating the color or painting it the same color as the rest of the lathe? Thanks in advance!!!

pshooter_243

I went to Sherwin Williams here in Canada last week and they were NO help at all. They looked at me as if I had 2 heads!!! What type of paint did you get?

Sent from my Galaxy

Andrei

Sherwin Williams makes this protective paint

Direct-to-Metal Alkyd Enamel

They can mix just about any color you want. If yuo open an account with them, you would get a tiny discount. At least here in USA.

I went to Sherwin Williams here in Canada last week and they were NO help at all. They looked at me as if I had 2 heads!!! What type of paint did you get?

Sent from my Galaxy

Vince Eugenio

Hi folks!

I went to Sherwin Williams and purchased a gallon of SHER-CRYL HPA. It is designed as a protective industrial and marine coating. We discussed several options including DTM as I wanted something that would be very resistant to chemicals and abrasion. The list price was $86 dollars, and I paid $36 after opening an account. I had a NOS SB tailstock wrench from 1935 that was blue/gray which was the original color of my lathe. They matched it perfectly. I brush painted one small part, and the paint flowed out nicely and appears to be very tough, though time will tell.

--

Regards,

Vince

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

+1 on the SW direct to metal paint.  I also use their metal primer as an undercoat, then put this on as a top coat, usually two coats.  Very good stuff, even though their staff don’t seem to know much about it.

Glenn