Topics

South Bend 9": what does 480 YN mean?

Vince Eugenio

Hi folks! 

I am new to this group.  I will be picking up my 9" 480 YN next Saturday.  As I have been doing my research,  I have been stumped on not finding any information on what the 480 or the N means. Any information would be helpful. 

BTW, this was the lathe recently on eBay in New York. I have ordered the rebuild kit from Steve and am excited to be bringing this fine machine back to life!!

Thanks!

Vince 

Jim_B

According to my data, the Model 480 is a Series N QCGB based on the model 80. but with horizontal drive. 

9"
N
QCGB

See 1930 Model 80 but with  horizontal drive

The attached is from the 1930 cSB catalogue #8 found on Steve Wells site. www.wswells.com

Sorry to say the BUT I doubt if the rebuild kit will do anything for you. The series N lathes are different animals. 

Here is some information from the files. 

Now I do have some N parts for a 9 inch and I will tell you that the N was a breed of cat all its own.  The saddles will not interchange with a bed for an O R S and T lathes.  The apron from an N will not bolt onto any of the other series saddles.  The quick change gear box is different as the lead screw exits the box in a different place as required buy the apron gears.  Also the end bracket for the lead screw is different and will not interchange.   Just some observations.  When I got these parts as I figured I could build an N series lathe with parts I have but I find that I cant without an N bed.

Dennis T

----- Original Message ----- 
  Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2010 9:01 AM
  Subject: RE: [southbendlathe] Half Nuts

The 160 was an ìNî series 9 inch cast base under-drive. It still would be considered

a ìwide-bedî lathe. The N series had improved spindle hardness, the new double wall apron with

multi disk wet clutch and a ìpush-pullî feed shifter. The three wide-bed series O, N, & R ran in production in the 30ís together.

This N series ran until aprox 1937-38 being replaced by the T series which was the improved R series

with Double wall apron, shifter and tapered gibs.

The S series replaced all older wide-bed series in the next model year (39-40)

with improved headstock oiling, super-finished spindle and all other features of the T series.

Steve Wells 

Its important to for all the members to remember that SB made many different 9” lathes, with the later Workshop being more common, and that the Workshop parts and data will not work with these other lathes. 
Thats not to say they were bad or not goood lathes, They were very good. They are just not common and finding parts may be difficult. 

On Sep 16, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Vince Eugenio <vince.eugenio.phd@...> wrote:

Hi folks! 

I am new to this group.  I will be picking up my 9" 480 YN next Saturday.  As I have been doing my research,  I have been stumped on not finding any information on what the 480 or the N means. Any information would be helpful. 

BTW, this was the lathe recently on eBay in New York. I have ordered the rebuild kit from Steve and am excited to be bringing this fine machine back to life!!

Thanks!

Vince 

Jim B.

--
Jim B

Vince Eugenio

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for the information which is helping me to understand all the nuances associated with my new to me 9" 480 YN. I would be very interested in hearing more about the spare parts you have. Thanks!!!

--

Regards,

Vince

Vince Eugenio, PhD HCS CCMC
Senior Learning and Development Leader
404 277 2426
http://www.linkedin.com/in/vinceeugeniophd