Topics

South Bend 9": what does 480 YN mean?

Vince Eugenio

Hi folks!

I am new to this group.  I will be picking up my 9" 480 YN next Saturday.  As I have been doing my research,  I have been stumped on not finding any information on what the 480 or the N means. Any information would be helpful.

BTW, this was the lathe recently on eBay in New York. I have ordered the rebuild kit from Steve and am excited to be bringing this fine machine back to life!!

Thanks!

Vince

Jim_B

According to my data, the Model 480 is a Series N QCGB based on the model 80. but with horizontal drive.

480
9"
QCGB

See 1930 Model 80 but with  horizontal drive

The attached is from the 1930 cSB catalogue #8 found on Steve Wells site. www.wswells.com

Sorry to say the BUT I doubt if the rebuild kit will do anything for you. The series N lathes are different animals.

Here is some information from the files.

Now I do have some N parts for a 9 inch and I will tell you that the N was a breed of cat all its own.  The saddles will not interchange with a bed for an O R S and T lathes.  The apron from an N will not bolt onto any of the other series saddles.  The quick change gear box is different as the lead screw exits the box in a different place as required buy the apron gears.  Also the end bracket for the lead screw is different and will not interchange.   Just some observations.  When I got these parts as I figured I could build an N series lathe with parts I have but I find that I cant without an N bed.

Dennis T