[sheldonlathe] tool post grinders

Scott McGrath

Resizing hardened shafts, putting a fine finish on a turned part, honing a part to an exact size its much easier to take off .0001 or less from a part with a grinder vs turning.

Its one of those tools you only need occasionally but when you need it, nothing else will do.

No it will not replace a surface grinder but it’s a great substitute for a interior/exterior grinder as long as you keep the grit off the ways.   I tend to use greased paper covering the ways.    Easy to remove and can be used subsequently to start the charcoal grill.  

From: sheldonlathe@groups.io <sheldonlathe@groups.io> on behalf of Nick Andrews via groups.io <nickjandrews@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 6, 2022 5:22:16 PM
To: sheldonlathe@groups.io <sheldonlathe@groups.io>; SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [sheldonlathe] tool post grinders

Just curious, how many use a tool post grinder and how often do you use it?  And primarily what do you use it for?  I do not yet have a surface grinder, which I would like to have at some point, but I see tool post grinders for sale quite a bit.

Scott McGrath

I just take some brown kraft  wrapping paper and rub whatever grease is handy on it,   Even crisco works oil works as well 

From: sheldonlathe@groups.io <sheldonlathe@groups.io> on behalf of Scott Hammerschmidt via groups.io <applescotty@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 6, 2022 5:36:37 PM
To: sheldonlathe@groups.io <sheldonlathe@groups.io>
Cc: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [sheldonlathe] tool post grinders

Scott,
You mention greased paper. This is the first that I'd heard of it. Is it purchased or made?
Scott

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022, 4:31 PM Scott McGrath <scott@...> wrote:
Resizing hardened shafts, putting a fine finish on a turned part, honing a part to an exact size its much easier to take off .0001 or less from a part with a grinder vs turning.

Its one of those tools you only need occasionally but when you need it, nothing else will do.

No it will not replace a surface grinder but it’s a great substitute for a interior/exterior grinder as long as you keep the grit off the ways.   I tend to use greased paper covering the ways.    Easy to remove and can be used subsequently to start the charcoal grill.  

From: sheldonlathe@groups.io <sheldonlathe@groups.io> on behalf of Nick Andrews via groups.io <nickjandrews=gmail.com@groups.io>
To: sheldonlathe@groups.io <sheldonlathe@groups.io>; SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>

Just curious, how many use a tool post grinder and how often do you use it?  And primarily what do you use it for?  I do not yet have a surface grinder, which I would like to have at some point, but I see tool post grinders for sale quite a bit.

Scott McGrath

Basically you want 'flypaper' for abrasive particles so they stick to the covering and not the lathe 

From: sheldonlathe@groups.io <sheldonlathe@groups.io> on behalf of Scott McGrath via groups.io <scott@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 6, 2022 5:38:31 PM

I just take some brown kraft  wrapping paper and rub whatever grease is handy on it,   Even crisco works oil works as well 

From: sheldonlathe@groups.io <sheldonlathe@groups.io> on behalf of Scott Hammerschmidt via groups.io <applescotty@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 6, 2022 5:36:37 PM

Scott,
You mention greased paper. This is the first that I'd heard of it. Is it purchased or made?
Scott

From: sheldonlathe@groups.io <sheldonlathe@groups.io> on behalf of Nick Andrews via groups.io <nickjandrews=gmail.com@groups.io>

Scott Hammerschmidt

Scott,
Scott