Topics

Serpentine belt question

George Meinschein

Group,
For those of you that are using a serpentine belt, are you running the belt with the grooves on the inside or the outside?  I've seen plenty of cars and trucks that snake the serpentine belt so that some components are driven by the grooved side and others are driven by the flat side.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional "C&R Eligible" firearms

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500

Email: bustedguns@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
www.meinscheinengineering.com

Todd

I run mine ribs in on the cone pulleys. (Logan 820)   I also use a J series ribbed belt for the motor drive to the dual driven flat pulley since i converted it to a DC drive motor from a treadmill.

Ribs out, here. I figure the more surface area on the cones the better. Will still slip if I take too big of a bite.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020, 1:24 PM Todd <belvedere66@...> wrote:
I run mine ribs in on the cone pulleys. (Logan 820)   I also use a J series ribbed belt for the motor drive to the dual driven flat pulley since i converted it to a DC drive motor from a treadmill.

glenn brooks

I tried both ways, didn’t see a difference. Now it has run successfully rib side up for several years now.

Glenn

On Sep 12, 2020, at 11:22 AM, S.T.M. Installations <s.t.m.installations@...> wrote:

Ribs out, here. I figure the more surface area on the cones the better. Will still slip if I take too big of a bite.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020, 1:24 PM Todd <belvedere66@...> wrote:
I run mine ribs in on the cone pulleys. (Logan 820)   I also use a J series ribbed belt for the motor drive to the dual driven flat pulley since i converted it to a DC drive motor from a treadmill.

Rick

I have run a serpentine belt for 10 years on a South Bend 9.  I started running it with the ribs in, but found it would slip when taking a deeper cut.  I turned it over and found it grabs much better, maybe too much, as it could stall the 1/2 hp motor.  I then backed off the tension slightly, and now it will slip before stalling the motor, but still take a decent sized cut.

Guenther Paul

George
Its a waist of time playing with a serpentine belt, just stay with the belt the lathe was designed for. There is a seller on e-bay for leather belts in Niles,Ill

GP

On Saturday, September 12, 2020, 1:19:53 PM EDT, George Meinschein <bustedguns@...> wrote:

Group,
For those of you that are using a serpentine belt, are you running the belt with the grooves on the inside or the outside?  I've seen plenty of cars and trucks that snake the serpentine belt so that some components are driven by the grooved side and others are driven by the flat side.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional "C&R Eligible" firearms

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500

Email: bustedguns@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
www.meinscheinengineering.com

engmaxx

I switched to serpentine years ago on my SB 9c And will never go back to anything else.   I run ribs in and I like the slip in case I overdrive the lathe.  That said it never slips unless I accidentally leave the back gears lever engaged (ya happened more times now than I can count lol). I get all the traction I need and I work in aluminum and steel.   FWIW.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 14:55 Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:
[...]

RJ White

I run mine rib side up, never had a problem.

On Sep 12, 2020, at 11:55 AM, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

[...]

ww_big_al

Mine is rib side down (SB 9A). Try it both ways and see how it works for you. It is easy to flip the belt.

Al

[...]

Glen Ruch

George:

It would be helpful to provide more information - - I did a search on ebay for South Bend Flat Belt Niles Il and none of the hits came back from Niles.

Regards.

On 9/12/20 2:55 PM, Guenther Paul wrote:
[...]

Bill in OKC too

I only looked at the first 4 or 5 hits, none of them are for Niles, Il. Got a bunch of Whitney In. Might be useful to someone. Prices from $16.95 and up.

HTH!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

This guy is in Worcester, Ma.https://www.hudsonbelting.com/

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 07:21:23 AM CDT, Glen Ruch via groups.io <gw.ruch=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

George Steube

On 9/13/2020 7:21 AM, Glen Ruch via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Edited

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Wide-Flat-Drive-Belt-for-South-Bend-other-lathes-up-to-70-long-custom-cut/332943593154?hash=item4d84fc0ec2:g:CkgAAOSwUWtcEFiV

In addition to my SB 9A, which, as stated above has a serpentine belt, i've recently refurbished a SB 13. As a serpentine belt is not an option on a SB 13, I used this one I got on eBay.  I've not had it long, but it seems to work well.  That said, if a serpentine was an option without cutting and glueing it, I would definitely use a serpentine on any lathe.  Quiet and grips great!

jon_howell_a

When the original leather belt broke for my SB 1939, I went to the trouble and expense of getting a new one to match it.  I could not get the exact joining clip. and the three attempts with metal clips, stitches and glue all were unsatisfactory they caused a 'tick' mark on fine work.

I was not happy, so I tried an old tumble drier drive flat belt, which was a bit thin at 1/8" and only 5/8" wide, To put this on I had to take the headstock cone pulleys off, which I was obviously originally avoiding, but I'm glad I did, as I was able to unblock the main spindle oil-ways, clean the felt pads in petrol and clear out the accumulated gunk of many years use.  Once done, it was most satisfactory and you have the confidence to repeat the operation.

When my brother swapped out his Vauxhall Astra Cam belt, which is near 1" wide and 1/4" thick and an almost ideal length, that went on and I have not looked back.  Flat side to pulley, the other way slips more often, but will work.  I cant see any wear on pulleys or belt yet, and its been more than 5 years.

My caution is that rubber belts of this type are extremely strong, so they wont break in a head crash, so safety may be compromised slightly.  Mine is just tight enough to work properly but slack enough to slip on an excessive cut or tool crash.  My SB is quite small and the pulley cones relatively easy to handle, but I can see with larger lathes, lifting gear overhead would be needed.  I have a 1/2" steel rod held securely through steel plates on the rafters of my workshop, spreading the load, and can attach a lifting winch easily if needed.  I'm not going back to leather belt, I wasted over £35 ($40) on that and the car belt was free and will probably outlast me.  See you local car workshop and see what cam belts they have in that are usually landfill.

All the best.
Jon, Cheshire, UK

Louis

Just want to add the option of belt lacing to the discussion. I run both leather and serpentine belts on different machines in my shop and most are laced. That goes both for the leather and serpentine belts.
I find that lacing gives at least as smooth a drive as the glued joints I once used. I use high strength nylon (170 pound) for lacing with from 6 to 9 strands depending on width. Even for the serpentine belts I haven't had any issues and lacing them means you can cut to the exact length needed. I lace them in the gaps between the ribs. In all cases I drill the holes and use a heavy needle for lacing.

John Dammeyer

For your ribbed belts what do you use for lacing?  I used MIG wire and it's only now after 10 years or so starting to break where it's flexing or work hardened.  One of these days I will need to lace it again.

John

Just want to add the option of belt lacing to the discussion. I run both leather and serpentine belts on different machines in my shop and most are laced. That goes both for the leather and serpentine belts.
I find that lacing gives at least as smooth a drive as the glued joints I once used. I use high strength nylon (170 pound) for lacing with from 6 to 9 strands depending on width. Even for the serpentine belts I haven't had any issues and lacing them means you can cut to the exact length needed. I lace them in the gaps between the ribs. In all cases I drill the holes and use a heavy needle for lacing.

Louis

Hadn't thought of using mig wire. Might give that a try. I just use nylon stranded cord rated 170 lb. Can't remember where I bought it. Either Lowes, HD or Ace Hdwr.