Topics

replacement belt for 10L

John Gallo

Hi,

I need to replace the flat belt on my 10L. I see that there are two different types on e-bay. One has the conventional lacing, and the other is skived and assembled with glue. The glue up model seems to be better as there are no bumps as it passes over the pulleys. One of the reviews said that this belt was like a rubberband
and not suited for a 1 horse power motor. My motor is 1 1/2 horse and I don't know what to buy. Has anyone tried this glue together belt.? I am just trying to find the best alternative for my machine.

Thanks, John.

glenn brooks

Automotive serpentine belts make excellent replacements for the old style flat belts.

Glenn

On Aug 16, 2020, at 8:05 AM, John Gallo via groups.io <johnnyblock1@...> wrote:

Hi,

I need to replace the flat belt on my 10L. I see that there are two different types on e-bay. One has the conventional lacing, and the other is skived and assembled with glue. The glue up model seems to be better as there are no bumps as it passes over the pulleys. One of the reviews said that this belt was like a rubberband
and not suited for a 1 horse power motor. My motor is 1 1/2 horse and I don't know what to buy. Has anyone tried this glue together belt.? I am just trying to find the best alternative for my machine.

Thanks, John.

John Dammeyer

I used a serpentine belt.  Laced together with mig wire.  That was 10 years ago and it still works.  When I jam the parting tool in the work it squeals horribly.  I think a couple of the mig wire stitches have now broken so it's probably time to resew it.

But It's very quiet.  No ticking sounds really.

John Dammeyer

Automotive serpentine belts make excellent replacements for the old style flat belts.

Glenn

On Aug 16, 2020, at 8:05 AM, John Gallo via groups.io <johnnyblock1@...> wrote:

Hi,

I need to replace the flat belt on my 10L. I see that there are two different types on e-bay. One has the conventional lacing, and the other is skived and assembled with glue. The glue up model seems to be better as there are no bumps as it passes over the pulleys. One of the reviews said that this belt was like a rubberband
and not suited for a 1 horse power motor. My motor is 1 1/2 horse and I don't know what to buy. Has anyone tried this glue together belt.? I am just trying to find the best alternative for my machine.

Thanks, John.

Jack Dinan <jdinan@...>

While we’re on the subject, I’ve a question about adjusting the tightness of a belt.

When I rebuilt VW engines, the test for adjustment of the belt on the generator was to tighten it until a thumb pressure in mid belt deflected it 1/2 inch.

Is there a similar test for a lathe belt?

On Aug 16, 2020, at 11:29 AM, glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...> wrote:

Automotive serpentine belts make excellent replacements for the old style flat belts.

Glenn

On Aug 16, 2020, at 8:05 AM, John Gallo via groups.io <johnnyblock1@...> wrote:

Hi,

I need to replace the flat belt on my 10L. I see that there are two different types on e-bay. One has the conventional lacing, and the other is skived and assembled with glue. The glue up model seems to be better as there are no bumps as it passes over the pulleys. One of the reviews said that this belt was like a rubberband
and not suited for a 1 horse power motor. My motor is 1 1/2 horse and I don't know what to buy. Has anyone tried this glue together belt.? I am just trying to find the best alternative for my machine.

Thanks, John.

david pennington

For my 9C I took a deep breath...

Then I removed the spindle and installed a serpentine belt without cutting it. The bearings were probably due for an inspection, anyway. (LOL) Everything looked good and it went back together easily. That was a couple of years ago. No trouble.

Had to disassemble the drive pulley assembly, too, of course. Moved twice, since then. A bit of a hassle, but not bad.

Dave

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
720-442-3744 - Please note the new number.

On Sunday, August 16, 2020, 09:52:12 AM MDT, Jack Dinan <jdinan@...> wrote:

[...]

amriensr

I have a Swiss Habasit flat belt that I bought from a local power transmission store. They cut it to my spec and tapered the ends, I glued it in place and no problems for over 20yrs...OH and not a sound from it. I'm currently running my 10L with a 1.5hp Leeson D C motor

On Sunday, August 16, 2020, 11:52:12 AM EDT, Jack Dinan <jdinan@...> wrote:

[...]

In Canada these appear to be available from

https://www.habasit.com/en/habasit-canada.htm

[...]

Yes, the same for my Dalton 7” lathe. Pulled the bearing caps and lifted the spindle enuf to slip the serpentine belt in.  You can run them either ribbed side down or up. One is supposed to be better than the other. But can’t remember which.  Doesn’t matter on my restored Dalton. Either side works very well.

Pulling the bearings enabled me to check the wear and scrape them back in and to set proper clearance with the spindle.  Well worth doing ever 50 or 60 years or so.

Glenn B.

Th

On Aug 16, 2020, at 9:01 AM, david pennington via groups.io <davidwpennington@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary Johnson

After several belt experiences, I finally reach Nirvana with a multi-ply belt with a Clipper fastener and connector pin. Took one minute to install. Silent, no ticking. And, I can disconnect it instantly for future maintenance. Just supply the desired length. Best 20 bucks I ever spent on my heavy 10.

Gary NA6O

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTH-BEND-ATLAS-LOGAN-DRIVE-FLAT-BELT-5-32-X-1-CUSTOM-CUT-LATHE-OTHER-MACHINES/303638177770?hash=item46b23ee7ea:g:tN8AAOxyuPtQ9stg

akitchens@...

I got a replacement for my 9A from Albino Industrial Belting. Very happy with it.

https://albinoindustrialbelting.com/

Mark Z

For my 16 inch I put a leather belt on it but I wasn't very happy with it.  I ended up buying one from Grizzly as an OEM replacement and I have to say it is a very nice belt - it is a glued composite.  I am very happy with it but the price was very expensive.  With glue it was around $300 delivered.  In the instructions they explain how much stretch is required.
--
1969 16" x 6' South Bend Lathe
Garage full of old Mopars........

Guenther Paul

There is a seller on E-Bay in Niles,Ill that specializes in leather belts, the price is a lot lot less
GP

On Monday, August 17, 2020, 8:56:04 PM EDT, Mark Z via groups.io <bode528@...> wrote:

For my 16 inch I put a leather belt on it but I wasn't very happy with it.  I ended up buying one from Grizzly as an OEM replacement and I have to say it is a very nice belt - it is a glued composite.  I am very happy with it but the price was very expensive.  With glue it was around $300 delivered.  In the instructions they explain how much stretch is required.
--
1969 16" x 6' South Bend Lathe
Garage full of old Mopars........

david_g4000

I bought a replacement belt for my 13" SB from Al Bino. Nice guy and great belts at reasonable cost. He sells leather or composite. I was going to buy leather but after speaking with him, I bought composite. No stretching and less slippage.

https://albinoindustrialbelting.com/

Dave B