Removing the handwheels from the crossslide

Rogan Creswick

It looks like there's a specialty screwdriver / spanner needed to dismantle the handwheels on the cross slide & compound (see pic). Does anyone know what this tool is called? (and perhaps where I can get one?)

I'm also open to ideas about how I should clean the pictured handwheel.  The crud is polymerized oil / shop gunk from a fire, and it is extremely stubborn. Once I get these apart, I can soak the parts in degreaser (I've been using Grime Reaper or CRC heavy duty degreaser) but even that doesn't do that much to loosen things up.  It usually takes a good bit of elbow grease w/ steel wool, a wire wheel, or soda blasting, and I'm afraid that those will marr the numbers.

Thanks!
Rogan

PXL_20220501_044841856.jpg

Andrei

Make your own tool. Take a suitably wide screwdriver and cut a slot in the middle so only the sides of the. BLade reach the slots and turn it.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Rogan Creswick <creswick@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2022 12:46:27 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Removing the handwheels from the crossslide

It looks like there's a specialty screwdriver / spanner needed to dismantle the handwheels on the cross slide & compound (see pic). Does anyone know what this tool is called? (and perhaps where I can get one?)

I'm also open to ideas about how I should clean the pictured handwheel.  The crud is polymerized oil / shop gunk from a fire, and it is extremely stubborn. Once I get these apart, I can soak the parts in degreaser (I've been using Grime Reaper or CRC heavy duty degreaser) but even that doesn't do that much to loosen things up.  It usually takes a good bit of elbow grease w/ steel wool, a wire wheel, or soda blasting, and I'm afraid that those will marr the numbers.

Thanks!
Rogan

Jim_B

Something like this.

Jim B.

Thats a dead screwdriver I broke the tip off. 

Dr. James A Benjamin
1629 Riverview Drive. Apt 416
Deerfield Beach, FL 33441

On May 1, 2022, at 12:52 PM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

Make your own tool. Take a suitably wide screwdriver and cut a slot in the middle so only the sides of the. BLade reach the slots and turn it.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Rogan Creswick <creswick@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2022 12:46:27 PM
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Removing the handwheels from the crossslide

Thanks!
Rogan

<PXL_20220501_044841856.jpg>

--
Jim B

mike allen

Its a sacrificial screw the right size that you grind the center clearance in it to clear the screw part .

animal

On 5/1/2022 9:46 AM, Rogan Creswick wrote:

Thanks!
Rogan

Jim_B

Not Quite. 
Its a nut, not a screw.
Ignore arrows. Its on the far right. 

Jim B.

Dr. James A Benjamin

On May 1, 2022, at 1:33 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

Its a sacrificial screw the right size that you grind the center clearance in it to clear the screw part .

animal

Thanks!
Rogan

--
Jim B

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

An answer to the other part of the question - removing burnt on grease etc.

There are a few things you could try: Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), which can be found as either reasonably pure crystals or a very strong solution as commercial dishwasher fluid. Apply pretty strong and leave to soak. Take the usual precautions appropriate to strong acids & alkalis, and DON'T let it near anything that contains reactive metals like Aluminium, zinc, etc. or those will just disappear. You might also try stove (i.e. woodburner) glass cleaner and oven cleaner. I believe both are also strong alkalis. Above all, BE CAREFUL, as these can all degrease hands down to the bone and take out eyesight on a permanent basis.

I've just taken a look at the Grime Reaper website for the first time, and my mood lifted when I saw "decarboniser", with an image of sparkly labour free cylinder heads flashing into my mind. Turns out its for bakeries and other catering applications. I wonder if their solution bears any resemblance to Elbow Grease, which is great for cleaning inside the cabs of steam locos and the kitchen ceilings at a greasy spoon cafe.

Cheers,

Eddie

------ Original Message ------
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 1 May, 22 At 18:33
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Removing the handwheels from the crossslide

animal

It looks like there's a specialty screwdriver / spanner needed to dismantle the handwheels on the cross slide & compound (see pic). Does anyone know what this tool is called? (and perhaps where I can get one?)

I'm also open to ideas about how I should clean the pictured handwheel. The crud is polymerized oil / shop gunk from a fire, and it is extremely stubborn. Once I get these apart, I can soak the parts in degreaser (I've been using Grime Reaper or CRC heavy duty degreaser) but even that doesn't do that much to loosen things up. It usually takes a good bit of elbow grease w/ steel wool, a wire wheel, or soda blasting, and I'm afraid that those will marr the numbers.

Thanks!
Rogan

mike allen

I forgot to type "driver " after screw . can't type & listen to people talk at the same time .

animal

On 5/1/2022 10:42 AM, Jim_B wrote:
Not Quite. 
Its a nut, not a screw.
Ignore arrows. Its on the far right. 

Jim B.

Dr. James A Benjamin

On May 1, 2022, at 1:33 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

animal

Thanks!
Rogan

--
Jim B

Vern VanZ

On Sunday, May 1, 2022, 09:46:45 AM PDT, Rogan Creswick <creswick@...> wrote:

Thanks!
Rogan

Rogan Creswick

Thanks! I don't know why I never think to modify other tools... I have a bucket of old large flat head screwdrivers, and it only took a few minutes to grind out a notch in one. (well, more like 45, with digging out the dremel and getting things marked up).

On Sun, May 1, 2022, 11:45 AM Vern VanZ via groups.io <n7gtb=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
-V.

On Sunday, May 1, 2022, 09:46:45 AM PDT, Rogan Creswick <creswick@...> wrote:

Thanks!
Rogan

wlw19958

Hi There,

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 09:52 AM, Andrei wrote:
Make your own tool.
That's what I did.

I made mine from a 1/2" diameter O1 tool steel.  I drilled a hole in the center and
then ground it to a screw driver tip profile on the bench grinder.  Then I took a piece
2" bearing bronze and made a handle and used a set screw to hole it in place. 

In retrospect, I should have made it longer but it hasn't let me down yet.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Dennis LaMonica

Ilion Industrial on eBay sells that special screw driver bit ( that's eye- ell - eye-oh- en). Steve WB(I think) 

Dennis
via Moto Z3

--
Dennis
western NY, USA

Dennis LaMonica

Stevewb on Ebay. 
Also lubs, belts, wick kits, rebuild manuals, and more

Dennis
via Moto Z3

--
Dennis
western NY, USA

Andrei

You guys know that we have machines that can make almost anything? 

The skill level for chopping up an old screwdriver is minimal. No need to spend money and wait a week for something you can make in a few minutes. 

If you don't have an old screwdriver, go to Harbor Freight and get one (or any hardware store, if you are in a more remote area).

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Dennis LaMonica <dennislamonica@...>
Sent: Monday, May 2, 2022 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Removing the handwheels from the crossslide

Stevewb on Ebay. 
Also lubs, belts, wick kits, rebuild manuals, and more

Dennis
via Moto Z3

--
Dennis
western NY, USA

Daniel Fuller

I have used a filed down steel strip and I also have an "asparagus" picker that has had some grinding to the right shape.
Picked more asparagus in my young days that I would like to have remembered.  :-(
Dan

mike allen

My first one was made from a old spade bit .

animal

On 5/2/2022 6:27 AM, Daniel Fuller wrote:
I have used a filed down steel strip and I also have an "asparagus" picker that has had some grinding to the right shape.
Picked more asparagus in my young days that I would like to have remembered.  :-(
Dan