moderated sticky Quick change tool holder rack

trackthatpot2000

I’m looking for some kind of wall mounted rack for my  250-201 tool holders has anyone made one..or sourced one.

Bill in OKC too

Depending how fancy you want to get, I've seen one recently, though I can't find it right now, of course, of a simple one. Just a piece of wood with a bevel on one side, nailed or screwed to the wall behind a lathe. The dovetail hooks over the bevel to hold the tool holders. If I can find it, I'll post a link. I've got a dozen or so groups that I follow, it was on one of them in the past couple of weeks.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Saturday, March 13, 2021, 01:37:09 PM CST, trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:

I’m looking for some kind of wall mounted rack for my  250-201 tool holders has anyone made one..or sourced one.

Jim_B

Here is my solution.
Peg board with custom holders

I later added a cross brace to stop the tendency to twist.

Jim B,

--
Jim B

motopreserveshop

I’ve 3D printed some wedges that mount with two 2” drywall screws. Screw them to a piece of scrap ply and mounted to the wall on an angle. Works pretty well.

On Mar 13, 2021, at 3:04 PM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Here is my solution.
Peg board with custom holders

<One-for-all.jpg>

I later added a cross brace to stop the tendency to twist.

<How-it-works.jpg>

Jim B,

On Mar 13, 2021, at 2:37 PM, trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:

I’m looking for some kind of wall mounted rack for my  250-201 tool holders has anyone made one..or sourced one.

--
Jim B

Brian Cole

On Mar 13, 2021, at 2:18 PM, motopreserveshop <nortstudio@...> wrote:

I’ve 3D printed some wedges that mount with two 2” drywall screws. Screw them to a piece of scrap ply and mounted to the wall on an angle. Works pretty well.

On Mar 13, 2021, at 3:04 PM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Here is my solution.
Peg board with custom holders

<One-for-all.jpg>

I later added a cross brace to stop the tendency to twist.

<How-it-works.jpg>

Jim B,

On Mar 13, 2021, at 2:37 PM, trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:

I’m looking for some kind of wall mounted rack for my  250-201 tool holders has anyone made one..or sourced one.

--
Jim B

ww_big_al

Here is mine
Al

trackthatpot2000

I bought some 5 inch nails...as good as anything for the job.

Steven H

Looks great, I need to make something similar.

Steve Haskell

On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:22 AM, trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:

I bought some 5 inch nails...as good as anything for the job.
<B11A0E5C-4DE2-49AD-9A0D-76F77AFEA5E3.jpeg>
<8956DCA9-B7AB-4001-A40C-02E81D84C32B.jpeg>

Roger Bickers

Oh you mean 40d nails?
We're they brights? Lol

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:22 AM, trackthatpot2000
<timmsken@...> wrote:
I bought some 5 inch nails...as good as anything for the job.

trackthatpot2000

They are UK standard round wire 5” nails they are approx  .200” dia...I ground off the points then cut them down to 60mm long ...drilled the board with 3/16” holes and knocked  in the shortened nail stubs with a V block to make sure they went in straight...these tool holders are the 200 series.

Ray De Jong

Thanks for the details, not pretty but practical and I like that. I am going to make this this morning as I have 14 tool holders to hang.
much appreciated

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 8:41:42 AM PDT, trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:

They are UK standard round wire 5” nails they are approx  .200” dia...I ground off the points then cut them down to 60mm long ...drilled the board with 3/16” holes and knocked  in the shortened nail stubs with a V block to make sure they went in straight...these tool holders are the 200 series.

Steven Schlegel

I think this is proof that too many of us overthink things.  So simple, so easy, so beyond me.  Thanks for the pictures and the idea.  I’ll be including this in my cabinet under the lathe and above it, too.

Thanks,

Steven

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

<timmsken@...> wrote:

I bought some 5 inch nails...as good as anything for the job.

m. allan noah

Tip the board more to vertical, and you only need one nail per holder :)

allan

<timmsken@...> wrote:

I bought some 5 inch nails...as good as anything for the job.

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

But then it won't be "double nailed" (a marketing term for higher quality).

Eddie

<timmsken@...> wrote:

I bought some 5 inch nails...as good as anything for the job.

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Andrei

Well, the two nails are set to mimic the wedge of the dovetail. They do more than just hold up the tool holder, they hold it securely.

<timmsken@...> wrote:

I bought some 5 inch nails...as good as anything for the job.

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

m. allan noah

Securely against what? Inversion of gravity?

<timmsken@...> wrote:

I bought some 5 inch nails...as good as anything for the job.

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

trackthatpot2000

With only one nail, holding the tool holder....and depending on what tool is in the holder and the dovetail being not central it won’t hang vertical ..so any slight knock when removing or replacing one of the tool holders will cause any of the other tools to dislodge and fall to the floor...The only real way to really test a theory is to actually do it and find out the result ...So! ..try it first on a simple set up, and if it works ..That’s fine. :)

Rogan Creswick

There are forces other than gravity that might knock a holder up and out ... like my clumsy hands, when reaching for an adjacent tool holder.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 4:15 PM trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:
With only one nail, holding the tool holder....and depending on what tool is in the holder and the dovetail being not central it won’t hang vertical ..so any slight knock when removing or replacing one of the tool holders will cause any of the other tools to dislodge and fall to the floor...The only real way to really test a theory is to actually do it and find out the result ...So! ..try it first on a simple set up, and if it works ..That’s fine. :)

Nick Jonkman

Here is my version of the rack. I ground a bevel on the brackets to fit the dove tail of the holder as the bar was slightly wider than the dovetail.

Nick

On 21-03-13 2:36 PM, trackthatpot2000 wrote:
I’m looking for some kind of wall mounted rack for my  250-201 tool holders has anyone made one..or sourced one.

Rick

I just keep mine in 2 rollaways just for Lathe and Milling Machine tooling.  Keeps it neat and organized, does't get dirty from sitting out.  Plenty of room for my 3C, 5C, ER40 collets, AXA tool holders, end mills, ect.  Since I have both an SB9A and a SB13, i made an adapter plate to raise the tooling on the 13 so I don't have to reset them from lathe to lathe.

.