QCTH quality advice....

Jim V

I'm in the market for some addition AXA quick change tool holders for my Shars QCTP. wondering if the cheapies from ebay are any good? is a set of 5 costing $100 any better the 'looks and advertise the same' set for $45?? Shars gets $88@, while Griz gets $28 @ for chicom, and Aloris & Dorians start about $60@ ...byw.. in this case @ stands for each not at... THANKS in Advance!!

wlw19958

Hi There,

I have bought tool blocks off of eBay (both original Aloris and
Chinese copies) and find that the Chinese copies work well
enough.  The dovetail on the Chinese ones are usually a little
bigger (so one has to swing the handle of the tool post farther)
but it hasn't been an issue.

My main complaints with the Chinese copies is the set screws
are too soft and the hex drive strips.  Also. I have some that
the set screws rusted in place is a short time (some kind of
coating on them promotes rust).  I bought a package of set
screws from McMaster-Carr and I just replace the set screws
with new ones right from the start (to save having headaches
down the road).

The main advantage of the brand name tool blocks is the
adjusting stud with the key slot and special washer.  This
makes adjusting the height much easier!  I made a bunch
of these washers to replace the ones that are missing on
the Aloris blocks I buy used (Aloris doesn't sell the washer
by itself; you have to buy the whole adjusting stud assembly).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Rick

I’ve had good luck with the Bostar branded ones sold by http://cdcotools.com/

Mike Poore

I would guess that all of the names you mentioned with the possible exception of Aloris are Chicom made. Now that does not mean the same quality standards are enforced. It's hard to tell if you are paying extra for a name, better quality, or both. I have bought a 5 pack of 250-101 holders off Amazon for around $60 that work fine for me. I had to Loctite the studs to keep them from backing out and losing adjustment. My view is that the cheap tool holders will not be the weak link when it comes to rigidity on my 80 year old lathe. Having 10 tool holders with all of the various tools already mounted and ready to use is a huge time saver.

On 7/23/2022 1:39 PM, Jim V via groups.io wrote:

I'm in the market for some addition AXA quick change tool holders for my Shars QCTP. wondering if the cheapies from ebay are any good? is a set of 5 costing $100 any better the 'looks and advertise the same' set for $45?? Shars gets $88@, while Griz gets $28 @ for chicom, and Aloris & Dorians start about $60@ ...byw.. in this case @ stands for each not at... THANKS in Advance!!

ww_big_al

I have purchased quite a few cheap axa holders. Over all, they have been good. Some things I have noticed is the locking handling will clock in different positions when locked. Most set screws are soft and may need to be replaced. Some of the holders are not harden but I haven’t had any issue with that. I still buy them when needed

Al Knack

On Jul 23, 2022, at 2:02 PM, Rick <vwrick@...> wrote:

I’ve had good luck with the Bostar branded ones sold by http://cdcotools.com/

mike allen

        Ive been buying these every once in a while for a couple of years . Like any import tool holder teh dogpoint screws are soft . I went to my hardware store & bought a bag of 100  real  screws .

        That's enough for 25 tool holders . They fit my Import tool post just fine .

        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFUH05Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

        animal

On 7/23/2022 10:39 AM, Jim V via groups.io wrote:

I'm in the market for some addition AXA quick change tool holders for my Shars QCTP. wondering if the cheapies from ebay are any good? is a set of 5 costing $100 any better the 'looks and advertise the same' set for $45?? Shars gets $88@, while Griz gets $28 @ for chicom, and Aloris & Dorians start about $60@ ...byw.. in this case @ stands for each not at... THANKS in Advance!!

Milan Trcka

Edited

I am happy with CDCO Bostar AXA holder (wedge) and 12 tool holders on my Southbend 9A.  Also decent 3C collets.  Their 5C collet chuck needed complete disassembly, cleaning, and corrective surgery on the bevel gears. Overall good experience for the price.

Mike Poore

Coincidentally, I took delivery today of a 5 pack of unbranded tool holders via Amazon. The cost was $60. All of them are defective as shown below in the picture. You will notice that the end of the slot at the top of the picture is not flat. There is a bit of a ramp so the tool will not lie flat in the holder. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, it is not hardened so it was easy enough to file it flat. This picture was taken straight out of the package. Those chips on the edges is how it arrived.  A little fussing with it and a few minutes later I was taking great cuts on my SB9A without having to swap tools in the holders.