Topics

New to me 14.5" and need some help

Todd

I just acquired a 14.5 x 60 and will be needing some help with parts.  See it was bought, disassembled, started to be cleaned/painted and then sat in boxes for a few years.  What I know it's missing is the compound dial, screw and nut. The motor and motor pulley (4 groove), some of the taper attachment, the oil well on the back of the apron.. !! and a few other niceties.  I'm sure I will find a few other misc items of need and I understand these are the rare birds of the S.B. world. Is there anywhere I can find a parts manual to assist in reassembly ?  Also, the serial number is 2265FKL12  if anyone can decipher the date.

  Thanks, Todd

mike allen

        go here & wright what parts yer lookin for & this guy will be able to help ya out

        Ted /Latheman he used to work for SouthBend & bought up a bunch of their parts

        https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/

        animal

On 3/22/2020 6:25 PM, Todd wrote:
I just acquired a 14.5 x 60 and will be needing some help with parts.  See it was bought, disassembled, started to be cleaned/painted and then sat in boxes for a few years.  What I know it's missing is the compound dial, screw and nut. The motor and motor pulley (4 groove), some of the taper attachment, the oil well on the back of the apron.. !! and a few other niceties.  I'm sure I will find a few other misc items of need and I understand these are the rare birds of the S.B. world. Is there anywhere I can find a parts manual to assist in reassembly ?  Also, the serial number is 2265FKL12  if anyone can decipher the date.

  Thanks, Todd

Bill in OKC too

You might want to buy this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Renovating-South-Lathe-Models/dp/1482334585/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=south+bend+heavy+10+lathe+book&qid=1584928328&sr=8-1

I bought it for my Heavy 10L, and it also covers your 14-1/2" lathe. I got the set that has the felts as well, you might want to the version with felts for your lathe if you don't have them already.

the book is invaluable to me for disassembly. Since you didn't get to do that, it will be invaluable for assembly, as well, I expect! Doesn't look like Amazon has the felts you might need, but they're also sold on ebay with the same book.

HTH!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 08:29:25 PM CDT, Todd <belvedere66@...> wrote:

I just acquired a 14.5 x 60 and will be needing some help with parts.  See it was bought, disassembled, started to be cleaned/painted and then sat in boxes for a few years.  What I know it's missing is the compound dial, screw and nut. The motor and motor pulley (4 groove), some of the taper attachment, the oil well on the back of the apron.. !! and a few other niceties.  I'm sure I will find a few other misc items of need and I understand these are the rare birds of the S.B. world. Is there anywhere I can find a parts manual to assist in reassembly ?  Also, the serial number is 2265FKL12  if anyone can decipher the date.

  Thanks, Todd

Steven H

Another great info resource is
www.wswells.com

Steve Haskell

On 3/22/2020 6:25 PM, Todd wrote:
I just acquired a 14.5 x 60 and will be needing some help with parts.  See it was bought, disassembled, started to be cleaned/painted and then sat in boxes for a few years.  What I know it's missing is the compound dial, screw and nut. The motor and motor pulley (4 groove), some of the taper attachment, the oil well on the back of the apron.. !! and a few other niceties.  I'm sure I will find a few other misc items of need and I understand these are the rare birds of the S.B. world. Is there anywhere I can find a parts manual to assist in reassembly ?  Also, the serial number is 2265FKL12  if anyone can decipher the date.

  Thanks, Todd

Steven H

Two other resources:

Facebook: South Bend Lathe BUY SELL TRADE group

www.Groups.io SouthBendLathe

Steve Haskell

On 3/22/2020 6:25 PM, Todd wrote:
I just acquired a 14.5 x 60 and will be needing some help with parts.  See it was bought, disassembled, started to be cleaned/painted and then sat in boxes for a few years.  What I know it's missing is the compound dial, screw and nut. The motor and motor pulley (4 groove), some of the taper attachment, the oil well on the back of the apron.. !! and a few other niceties.  I'm sure I will find a few other misc items of need and I understand these are the rare birds of the S.B. world. Is there anywhere I can find a parts manual to assist in reassembly ?  Also, the serial number is 2265FKL12  if anyone can decipher the date.

  Thanks, Todd

Payson

Send pictures.

Payson.

sblatheman

I have SOME 14 1/2” parts. Email me a list of what you need.

Ted
Latheman2@...

On Mar 22, 2020, at 9:29 PM, Todd <belvedere66@...> wrote:

I just acquired a 14.5 x 60 and will be needing some help with parts.  See it was bought, disassembled, started to be cleaned/painted and then sat in boxes for a few years.  What I know it's missing is the compound dial, screw and nut. The motor and motor pulley (4 groove), some of the taper attachment, the oil well on the back of the apron.. !! and a few other niceties.  I'm sure I will find a few other misc items of need and I understand these are the rare birds of the S.B. world. Is there anywhere I can find a parts manual to assist in reassembly ?  Also, the serial number is 2265FKL12  if anyone can decipher the date.

  Thanks, Todd

Jim_B

2265 was shipped around 12/6/55

In the files section of the group, you will find South Bend “Forms" of the various assemblies. These include assembly drawings showing which parts go where and a list of the South Bend Part numbers. They are usually good for the Heavy 10 through the larger lathes but not the 11” lathe, which is sort of an orphan.

You can use these when communicating with Ted.

There is also a Excel work sheet which gives the ship dates to a limited degree of accuracy.  Its based only on Verified ship dates, either from the factory or Grizzly. Its called South Bend Chronology-XXX. (XXX is the revision.)

On Mar 23, 2020, at 1:18 PM, sblatheman via Groups.Io <latheman2@...> wrote:

2265

Jim B.

--
Jim B

Todd

  Thanks for all the quick replies and info !  I talked to the "guy" that owned it before me and he thinks there may be a box or 2 sitting in his storage unit.  It would be nice If I knew whether it was ordered with hardened ways and/or feed screws.

  The bushings have the telltale marks from the caps being pulled off before the expander screws were removed, and I can't find the shims, expanders, screws etc !  I'm going to assume he didn't do his reading and just yanked the caps off and tossed the stuff in a bag.

  I know for sure I will need a new crossfeed nut and might need the screw as well (lathe has a taper attachment, or at least most of it currently) but I don't know since I don't have it. I may need a compound nut and screw also but I haven't checked those yet. the rest I should wait on since he may have it all, but my hope is that I can massage the bushing dovetails back in shape and get the spindle all dialed back in with little issue.

 I have a '47 Logan 820 (10 x 24) toolroom, and a Rockwell 10 x 24 cabinet model. I was looking for a 14" and this one literally fell into my lap.  I've got a minor amount of $ into it and if I need to put $5-800 more, I am still in the black considering the current prices and offerings in that size.  If for some reason I decide not to finish it, I will surely off it up to the group/s

gary roberts

I have a motor dual shaft out of South Bend and other parts in Akron Ohio let me know thanks Gary

Wayne Andrews <Wayneandrews@...>

Gary, What’s this about? Wayne

On Mar 26, 2020, at 9:41 PM, gary roberts via Groups.Io <zsupercharged@...> wrote:

I have a motor dual shaft out of South Bend and other parts in Akron Ohio let me know thanks Gary

gary roberts

The 14.5 South Bend parts I have some parts available I've decided to retire and part with various machines 13, 14, 15, and 16 all or parts Thanks group I've had a lot of fun reading

Todd

 I heard back from "the guy" that he should be back in town around 4-10 provided he's allowed to travel etc.

 That said... Gary, or any others, does anyone have a new cross feed nut (and possibly a screw for a taper equipped) or know who's making them ?

mike allen

        there's 1 or 2 guys on this forum that make new nuts & screws

On 3/27/2020 7:11 AM, Todd wrote:
 I heard back from "the guy" that he should be back in town around 4-10 provided he's allowed to travel etc.

 That said... Gary, or any others, does anyone have a new cross feed nut (and possibly a screw for a taper equipped) or know who's making them ?
_._,_._,_

glenn brooks

Robert (Bryan) Miller at Miller Machine and Fabricating makes cross screws and nuts.  BTW, you should have screw and nut replaced- they both wear and contribute to problems.

He made me a set for my SB Fourteen. Solved all my issues with finish and precision. He does superb work and is quite reasonable in price. Only took a day or two to receive my parts.

Glenn

On 3/27/2020 7:11 AM, Todd wrote:
 I heard back from "the guy" that he should be back in town around 4-10 provided he's allowed to travel etc.

 That said... Gary, or any others, does anyone have a new cross feed nut (and possibly a screw for a taper equipped) or know who's making them ?

John M

gary,
What parts do you have for a 14 1/2?

Todd

  I found this person on the 'bay    stedea_71   he makes/sells them for all the S.B. lathes.  $255 for the taper equipped cross feed screw & nut and $135 for the compound screw & nut.   I'd make them myself but I don't have a follower rest for either of my 10" lathes,  $255 & $135 sound like a fair prices though I have not contacted Miller Machine to compare.

Daughty

I bought from that guy before needed a new screw because I had bought a taper attachment for my heavy 10. Took 2 months to get mine, he doesn't have any of these premade, he makes to order. So I'd you're in a rush to receive one, I'd not recommend that guy.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 12:25 PM Todd <belvedere66@...> wrote:
  I found this person on the 'bay    stedea_71   he makes/sells them for all the S.B. lathes.  $255 for the taper equipped cross feed screw & nut and $135 for the compound screw & nut.   I'd make them myself but I don't have a follower rest for either of my 10" lathes,  $255 & $135 sound like a fair prices though I have not contacted Miller Machine to compare.

Todd

  I WISH I was in a hurry, but the lathe is so far apart and needs enough other items that they can be delayed 2 months for sure.  how was the fit and tolerance ?

Daughty

It's a pretty tight fit, he had the washer and thrust washers that came with mine.