Topics

New member here from down under

dave

Hello.  I've recently joined the group and live in Sydney Australia.
Has anyone ever tried loctite form a thread product to help backlash?  My compound slide nut is fairly worn and i want to try loctite form a thread to build it up.  I know ours not the right thing to do but it is rarely used on my lathe. The tech specs give it a good shear strength but not sure about it's use.  Failing that does anyone have a CR nut for sale?  Its 3/8" - 10 pitch.
Thanks
 Dave

mike allen

        don't know bout locktite , but there is a product called moglace ( or something like that 0 that I have read about that folks have been using  . ya might ask yer question at this site

        https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/

        animal

On 9/16/2019 5:29 PM, dave wrote:
Hello.  I've recently joined the group and live in Sydney Australia.
Has anyone ever tried loctite form a thread product to help backlash?  My compound slide nut is fairly worn and i want to try loctite form a thread to build it up.  I know ours not the right thing to do but it is rarely used on my lathe. The tech specs give it a good shear strength but not sure about it's use.  Failing that does anyone have a CR nut for sale?  Its 3/8" - 10 pitch.
Thanks
 Dave

carbure2003

How much backlash do you have on your compound screw?

Hello.  I've recently joined the group and live in Sydney Australia.
Has anyone ever tried loctite form a thread product to help backlash?  My compound slide nut is fairly worn and i want to try loctite form a thread to build it up.  I know ours not the right thing to do but it is rarely used on my lathe. The tech specs give it a good shear strength but not sure about it's use.  Failing that does anyone have a CR nut for sale?  Its 3/8" - 10 pitch.
Thanks
 Dave

Oncologists Are Freaking Out Over True Cause of Cancer
healthresponses.org
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5d803a5d8a3343a5d5f51st02vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

dave

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your advice Ill check that out

Kind regards

Dave Farrell

On 9/16/2019 5:29 PM, dave wrote:

Hello.  I've recently joined the group and live in Sydney Australia.

Has anyone ever tried loctite form a thread product to help backlash?  My compound slide nut is fairly worn and i want to try loctite form a thread to build it up.  I know ours not the right thing to do but it is rarely used on my lathe. The tech specs give it a good shear strength but not sure about it's use.  Failing that does anyone have a CR nut for sale?  Its 3/8" - 10 pitch.

Thanks

 Dave

carbure2003

The product is called Moglice.

backlash on the compound rest screw is common and is not really an issue unless it is excessive.

I have used lathes with 0.032" backlash without issue.

what is the screw condition?

Being in Australia, getting a new nut may cost more in shipping than the cost of the replacement part.

there might be another solution, did you think about manufacturing a new compound rest screw, oversized.

Guy Cadrin

On 9/16/2019 5:29 PM, dave wrote:
Hello.  I've recently joined the group and live in Sydney Australia.
Has anyone ever tried loctite form a thread product to help backlash?  My compound slide nut is fairly worn and i want to try loctite form a thread to build it up.  I know ours not the right thing to do but it is rarely used on my lathe. The tech specs give it a good shear strength but not sure about it's use.  Failing that does anyone have a CR nut for sale?  Its 3/8" - 10 pitch.
Thanks
 Dave

Sad News For Meghan Markle And Prince Harry
track.volutrk.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5d803db4a4d863db45caest02vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

dave

Hi – I have 0.45 mm (nearly 0.02”) which is all in the nut as it is consistent along the screw

Do you know if its possible to buy a new one?

Kind regards

Dave Farrell

How much backlash do you have on your compound screw?

Hello.  I've recently joined the group and live in Sydney Australia.

Has anyone ever tried loctite form a thread product to help backlash?  My compound slide nut is fairly worn and i want to try loctite form a thread to build it up.  I know ours not the right thing to do but it is rarely used on my lathe. The tech specs give it a good shear strength but not sure about it's use.  Failing that does anyone have a CR nut for sale?  Its 3/8" - 10 pitch.

Thanks

 Dave

Oncologists Are Freaking Out Over True Cause of Cancer
healthresponses.org
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5d803a5d8a3343a5d5f51st02vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

dave

Ah thanks – never thought of that! Good idea. The standard profile thread is ACME 3/8” -10 I believe?

Yes I could easily do that as you say

cheers

Kind regards

Dave Farrell

On 9/16/2019 5:29 PM, dave wrote:

Hello.  I've recently joined the group and live in Sydney Australia.

Has anyone ever tried loctite form a thread product to help backlash?  My compound slide nut is fairly worn and i want to try loctite form a thread to build it up.  I know ours not the right thing to do but it is rarely used on my lathe. The tech specs give it a good shear strength but not sure about it's use.  Failing that does anyone have a CR nut for sale?  Its 3/8" - 10 pitch.

Thanks

 Dave

Sad News For Meghan Markle And Prince Harry
track.volutrk.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5d803db4a4d863db45caest02vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Jim_B

I did what Guy suggested some years ago on a Burke mill.
Lash went from over 0.025 to about 0.004”.

image1.jpeg
-8
Jim B,

On Sep 16, 2019, at 10:09 PM, dave <davefarrell60@...> wrote:

Ah thanks – never thought of that! Good idea. The standard profile thread is ACME 3/8” -10 I believe?

Yes I could easily do that as you say

cheers

Kind regards

Dave Farrell

<image002.jpg>

--
Jim B

Phillip Rankin

Before we lead you down the wrong path could you tell us what lathe you have? 9" Workshop, 10k, 10L, maybe something bigger?

carbure2003

.

in my case I rebuilt the compound assembly for large dials. I oversized the screws on the same occasion. yes, 3/8 10 RH

Other option as well is to buy a tap.

Check RGD tools in UK.  I have seen them selling this tap in the past. They are advertising the LH tap on ebay right now.

$22 US.

I have seen in home shop machinist magasine places that advertise selling compound and xfeed screws for sb.  THEy also sell nuts

Does the backlash really bother you?

20 thou is not very much for a device that always move in the same direction. If your gibs are tight, should not be an issue.

Guy Cadrin from Canada

Please note: message attached

From: "dave" <davefarrell60@...>
To: <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 12:09:16 +1000

Oncologists Are Freaking Out Over True Cause of Cancer
healthresponses.org
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5d804c9729c3f4c975e2bst04vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Phillip Rankin

If your SB lathe is a 9" A,B,C, or 10k there is an Australian source for parts. The Australian built Hercus 9" series lathe are copies of the SB 9" A,B,&C lathes.
http://australianmetalworkinghobbyist.com/store/index.php?route=common/home is an Australian source for Hercus lathe parts, and most parts for the Hercus 9" lathes will fit the South Bend 9" A,B,C, & 10k lathes.

Rick Kruger

Can you slice the nut part way through and drill/tap a hole to "clamp" the nut tighter?  I believe some machines come with the nuts this way.

Drill through with the tap drill size and then just one side with the clearance drill size.  Not sure how much clearance room there is around the nut for a screw head, but a FHCS could work.

Rick

On 9/16/2019 5:29 PM, dave via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello.  I've recently joined the group and live in Sydney Australia.
Has anyone ever tried loctite form a thread product to help backlash?  My compound slide nut is fairly worn and i want to try loctite form a thread to build it up.  I know ours not the right thing to do but it is rarely used on my lathe. The tech specs give it a good shear strength but not sure about it's use.  Failing that does anyone have a CR nut for sale?  Its 3/8" - 10 pitch.
Thanks
 Dave

dave

Hi I have a 9” Sheraton Aussie made version of the SB

Kind regards

Dave Farrell

Before we lead you down the wrong path could you tell us what lathe you have? 9" Workshop, 10k, 10L, maybe something bigger?

ww_big_al

I don’t believe Loctite would work. Loctite is a anaerobic liquid which mean it is the lack of oxygen that cures it. Also it isn’t designed to build up any thickness. I have read where some have used Turcite type material with good success.

[...]

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

My experience is, generally speaking, if the nut is worn, the lead screw it mates with is also worn some  amount also,  So with a lot of wear, one commonly would want to replace both.

On your compound screw, the key test for replacement is: does the tooling produce inconsistent tolerance when making repeated cuts? And does the tooling sometimes cut a tiny “spiral”groove in the finish, often at repeated intervals?  If so, these are signs the lead screw is worn and needs to be replaced, along with the nut. When this occurs, the threads on the lead screw can’t hold the tool post at a consistent DOC, so the tooling wobbles around a bit as you proceed with the cut - causing inconsistent DOC and poor finish.

(The lead screw often wears more in one location along its length, usually the middle, than the ends. Sometimes you can visually look at the middle and compare thread thickness with the extreme outer end.)

Anyway,

here in the US that made up a new leads row and nut for my SB Fourteen.  Solved all of my problems with finish and inconsistent DOC.

You might be able to have him make it up and mail to you. Or find a machine shop locally that can do it.

Regards,
Glenn Brooks

On Sep 17, 2019, at 5:58 AM, ww_big_al <arknack@...> wrote:

[...]

comstock_friend

Edited

Big Al and others, this is what the OP asked about, not Loctite thread lockers but Loctite Form-A-Thread Stripped Repair Kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-442-28654-4-80ml-Thread-Stripped/dp/B000WSEUII

This fellow on ebay has the nuts:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/derewa2/m.html?

This guy has nuts, screws and nut/screw 'rebuild kits':

https://www.ebay.com/sch/largevise/m.html?

Both seem willing to ship international but that could get expensive.

John

benjithestupiddog@...

Might be a stupid suggestion, but I just 3d printed a new one for my 9a, it's not perfect but better than the knackered old original.

If you find someone to someone to print it for you I can send you the file they would need.

Failing that you can have the one in the pic if you want to try it, it's probably only £4-5 to post it from the UK, its only a few grams.

I've had a lot more than a fivers worth of free advice from here, so it would be good karma as they say.

m. allan noah

My experience has been that consistent backlash across the travel of the screw is actually wear between the handle or dial and the bushing in compound. Do you see a gap open up there when you reverse directions?

allan

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 2:21 PM benjithestupiddog via Groups.Io <benjithestupiddog=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Might be a stupid suggestion, but I just 3d printed a new one for my 9a, it's not perfect but better than the knackered old original.

If you find someone to someone to print it for you I can send you the file they would need.

Failing that you can have the one in the pic if you want to try it, it's probably only £4-5 to post it from the UK, its only a few grams.

I've had a lot more than a fivers worth of free advice from here, so it would be good karma as they say.

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Guenther Paul

I had very bad luck with 3d printed machine parts, they did not hold up. I am not saying it cant be done. Get some one that knows his stuff. It must be a solid print ( no honey comb ) and the proper plastic must be used, or you waist your time and money

GP

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 02:30:26 PM EDT, m. allan noah <kitno455@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for that

Kind regards