Topics

missing bolts for 9"/10k milling attachment 827NK1

Kenneth Beesley

Dear Group,

I have a milling attachment 827NK1 for my SB 10k lathe,
but it’s missing the two bolts shown in the following photo.

If some kind soul could identify for me the dimensions of these
bolts (diameter of shaft, length of shaft, and thread pitch) I would be
most grateful.

Best wishes to all,

Ken

*******************************
Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

David R8

I have one of those. I’ll dig it out and see if it has the bolts.

David

On Dec 14, 2020, at 8:02 PM, Kenneth Beesley <krbeesley@...> wrote:

Dear Group,

I have a milling attachment 827NK1 for my SB 10k lathe,
but it’s missing the two bolts shown in the following photo.

<$_0.JPG>

If some kind soul could identify for me the dimensions of these
bolts (diameter of shaft, length of shaft, and thread pitch) I would be
most grateful.

Best wishes to all,

Ken

*******************************
Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

david pennington

On the SB milling attachment for my 9C, those two bolts are 5/16 x 1.25, coarse thread.

I don't know the part number for my attachment.

The width of the "vise" is 3", and the opening is about 1.125", with the insert removed. The two bolts are spaced 1.625".

I have a milling attachment 827NK1 for my SB 10k lathe,
but it’s missing the two bolts shown in the following photo.

If some kind soul could identify for me the dimensions of these
bolts (diameter of shaft, length of shaft, and thread pitch) I would be
most grateful.

Best wishes to all,

Ken

*******************************
Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

George Meinschein

+1 on what David said.  If I did all my checking correctly, South Bend part# is 112x120, which is a commercially available 5/16-18 x 1-1/4" hex head cap screw.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional "C&R Eligible" firearms

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500
Email: bustedguns@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
www.meinscheinengineering.com
On 12/15/2020 1:35 AM, david pennington via groups.io wrote:
On the SB milling attachment for my 9C, those two bolts are 5/16 x 1.25, coarse thread.

I don't know the part number for my attachment.

The width of the "vise" is 3", and the opening is about 1.125", with the insert removed. The two bolts are spaced 1.625".

I have a milling attachment 827NK1 for my SB 10k lathe,
but it’s missing the two bolts shown in the following photo.

If some kind soul could identify for me the dimensions of these
bolts (diameter of shaft, length of shaft, and thread pitch) I would be
most grateful.

Best wishes to all,

Ken

*******************************
Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

david pennington

Thanks for the additional information, George.

Your response reminded me that there are a host of options at the hardware store, and that the original bolts are unplated, uncoated, plain steel hex head cap screws. The washers--I have fair reason to believe mine are original--are also not plated and are of modest thickness.

In general, I have a preference for socket head cap screws and thick, precision washers. While I won't replace the bolts on my milling attachment, since they are in good condition, were some elf to make off with them, I'd yield to my preference.

Dave

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
720-442-3744 - Please note the new number.

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 09:29:51 AM MST, George Meinschein <bustedguns@...> wrote:

[...]

Many thanks to David, George, and all who responded to my question.

Ken