From: John M via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Looking for 14 1/2" Southbend parts
To: southbendlathe@groups.io

Going by that tooling chart there are 2 sizes on the 14 1/2" , the small is 2 1/4 x 6 tpi and the Large is 2 3/8 x 6tpi  I have the small and finding a backing plate or a dog plate has proven to be a pita. lol

Steven H

He is asking about the external spindle thread not the spindle internal taper.

Steve Haskell

On Jul 16, 2018, at 2:15 AM, Steven Schlegel <sc.schlegel@...> wrote:

What is the publication date of the SB-7324.pdf document? I have two 1947 and one 1949 9in lathes. I thought the spindles we're about a Morris taper 3.

Thanks,
Steven

Going by that tooling chart there are 2 sizes on the 14 1/2" , the small is 2 1/4 x 6 tpi and the Large is 2 3/8 x 6tpi  I have the small and finding a backing plate or a dog plate has proven to be a pita. lol

Steven H

Regarding the 14-1/2” lathe spindle thread. My 1943 South Bend Lathe catalog reprint lists spindle nose thread as 2-1/4-6. I see lots of chuck back plates in Shars catalog at 2-1/4-8 but NOT 6 threads per inch.

Is six or eight the actual tpi on the 14-1/2” lathe?

Steve Haskell

On Jul 16, 2018, at 9:03 AM, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

He is asking about the external spindle thread not the spindle internal taper.

Steve Haskell

On Jul 16, 2018, at 2:15 AM, Steven Schlegel <sc.schlegel@...> wrote:

What is the publication date of the SB-7324.pdf document? I have two 1947 and one 1949 9in lathes. I thought the spindles we're about a Morris taper 3.

Thanks,
Steven

Going by that tooling chart there are 2 sizes on the 14 1/2" , the small is 2 1/4 x 6 tpi and the Large is 2 3/8 x 6tpi  I have the small and finding a backing plate or a dog plate has proven to be a pita. lol

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

If not answered by Wednesday, I can measure ours next time I visit the railway.  Ours is the "small" spindle 14.5" lathe, dated Sept or Oct 1943.

Eddie