Topics

Large spindle ID needed

Richard

Gentlemen,

I have a project that requires some thought, plus the use of a lathe with a spindle ID of 2-3/4" or better.  This is an attempt to bore and sleeve several rusted fork sliders from 1930's BMW motorcycles.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Richard Sheckler
Wayne, Ohio

George Meinschein

Richard,
How long are the sliders and are they open on both ends?

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500

Email: george.meinschein@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
Fax: 732-358-0369
www.meinscheinengineering.com

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 12:26 PM Richard <rishelaverne@...> wrote:
Gentlemen,

I have a project that requires some thought, plus the use of a lathe with a spindle ID of 2-3/4" or better.  This is an attempt to bore and sleeve several rusted fork sliders from 1930's BMW motorcycles.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Richard Sheckler
Wayne, Ohio

mike allen

        can you mount the end/bottom to either a chuck or a faceplate & then use a steady rest ? how rusty are they , can ya clean them up with a cylinder hone ?

        animal

On 9/2/2020 9:26 AM, Richard wrote:
Gentlemen,

I have a project that requires some thought, plus the use of a lathe with a spindle ID of 2-3/4" or better.  This is an attempt to bore and sleeve several rusted fork sliders from 1930's BMW motorcycles.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Richard Sheckler
Wayne, Ohio

Jim_B

I would suggest you Invert the project. Instead of rotating the work, rotate the tool.

Remove the compound. Make a fixture that clamps to the cross slide that holds the part of the fork to be worked on, ON Center.
You said its 2-3/4. A piece  of aluminum, say 3.5 by 3.5, clamped to the cross slide. With a dead center you can mark the vertical center.
Then cut the piece along the center mark and, using two bolts, bolt it back together.
Set the cross slide so the clamp is at horizontal center an NOTE THE POSITION ON THE CROSS SLIDE FEED.  (if the hole is a bit off its OK AS LONG AS YOU CAN GET BACK TO THE SAME SPOT.)
Then starting with drills, drill through to the largest drill size you have.
Now mount a 4-Jaw chuck and use it to hole a boring bar, or a fixture that mounts the boring bar.
You can use the 4-Jaw to set the offset of the boring bar or holder + boring bar to machine through until you can FIRMLY clamp the 2-3/4”. Say 2.745”
Now mount your forks.
You can machine the ID’s to your hearts content.

--
Jim B

Richard

Hi George,

Thank you for your response.  The sliders are blind at the bottom.  Bores about ten inches deep.  This might be more easily done in a vertical mill.  Photo attached.

Best Regards,

[...]

<P1010843.jpg>

Jim B.

--
Jim B

Richard

Jim,

This is a good idea.  I am using a Heavy Ten SBL

RS

[...]

Any chance the bore is tapered and you really only need to sleeve the upper end?  I was headed where Jim B. went with the fixed slider and rotating boring bar.  I guess once you have the setup done, it doesn't make much difference how deep you bore as long as the boring bar is stiff enough to handle the cantilever.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional "C&R Eligible" firearms

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500
Email: bustedguns@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
On 9/2/2020 2:12 PM, Richard wrote:
[...]

I meant to send this one. This is less confusing but same process.

On Sep 2, 2020, at 2:24 PM, George Meinschein <bustedguns@...> wrote:

[...]

Yikes!  That's a pretty hefty boring bar!

On 9/2/2020 2:31 PM, Jim_B wrote:

[...]

Ye, no need to go that stiff for this project

While I think of it, IF you have a boring head, mounted on a MT-2 or MT-3 you could use that in the spindle, with an adapter, to do the boring.
I have a small one I use to off set my work in the tail stock. It allows good control of the offset.
In the picture I have offset the work with such a head. Setting up the taper to make a B&S #9

On 9/2/2020 2:31 PM, Jim_B wrote:

[...]

RJ White

On Sep 2, 2020, at 12:47 PM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Ye, no need to go that stiff for this project

While I think of it, IF you have a boring head, mounted on a MT-2 or MT-3 you could use that in the spindle, with an adapter, to do the boring.
I have a small one I use to off set my work in the tail stock. It allows good control of the offset.
In the picture I have offset the work with such a head. Setting up the taper to make a B&S #9
<B&S#9-Setup.jpg>

On 9/2/2020 2:31 PM, Jim_B wrote:

[...]

Ondrej Krejci

Howdy,

The parts need not be stuck inside the spindle of a lathe nor do they need to be bolted to a fixture on the carriage.
Using a four jaw chuck and a sharp boring tool, 0.005" nose radius, with a light cut, possibly feeding from the inside out, the job should be just fine.
Depending on the fit, the sleeves can be to finished size or left under size for more fun.

Good luck,

OK