Topics

Large Dial for Your Lathe

Guenther Paul

Rick
I have a used  cross feed screw for sale that i believe comes from a 10" lathe. It come with a handle, gear and nut it is in excellent shape.

GP

On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 12:40:46 PM EDT, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

Steve,

It would be cool to have a new leadscrew by the time I get there. But, I
see some challenges to getting it made so you can mount a large dial on
it.  I am thinking I need to have my hands on things to do the mods to
get the large dial mods made, but we can figure some other ways to do
it.  I need to do a drawing of the large dial, one way or the other, so
I'll start there.

There are a couple ways to approach the whole project.  A couple/three
things need to happen:

1) new screw and nut made with a long enough shaft on the handle end to
mount the large dial (its mounting base is longer than the threaded
bushing you have):
     a) send your broken screw and the large dial parts to the guy
(Steve?) who makes the screws/nuts (I do agree it would be good to get
both a new screw AND nut) and have him figure out how to mound it and
make the screw accordingly.  Cost could be a major hindrance to that,
even if he'd do it,
    b) send your broken screw to Steve with instructions to make the
screw/gear/nut with a long enough dial side shaft for me to work with to
mate the large dial to it,
    c) me make the screw and nut and either graft your existing gear or
send it out to have the gear cut.  I don't know if I still have contact
info on the guy who made your rack gear.

2) use your existing screw/gear and figure out a way to graft new shaft
to the dial side for mounting of the large dial (or existing small dial).

3) mating the large dial bushing to your saddle.
    a) use an existing long bushing (that I have) that is already
threaded (3/4"-16), but it is quite long (3 1/4") (is shop made, not SB
OEM),
    b) turn threads on the OEM bushing that matches the dial (none
there now) (3/4" OD, 3/8" ID, 0.810" long),
    c) make a new bushing that matches the threaded hole and matches
the dial diameter (if not clear, you will see in the drawings). I think
this is the best option and most likely to succeed.

I need to gin up the drawings and it will become much more clear, I
believe and hope.  Refer to the photos I texted of the large dial
parts.  But, in the immediate, I have to go feed/water Taryn's
chickens.  Back attcha later.

Rick

Steve Yasgur

Paul, Hi.  Steve here. (Rick’s friend)

Is that by any chance a large dial cross slide feed?  Rick has a large dial he could modify, but we’re trying to figure out all the steps necessary so we don’t get 7/8 of the way done and say “Aw, nuts!  Not gonna fit!”  Now, I know no South Bend owner would be caught dead letting those words pass his lips, but . . . just wondering.

Thanks!  (For your response AND the information.

Steve

Stevan S. Yasgur
Suite 550
3300 Edinborough Way
Edina, MN. 55435
(952) 893-9393

NOTICE: This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it. This email is not, nor shall it be deemed to be, legal advice or counsel, unless the recipient already has an attorney-client relationship with the firm or me. This email does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Thank you.

On Sep 12, 2019, at 11:44 AM, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

[...]

Can you give me the length of the screw, the diameter and the threads per inch

GP

On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 01:08:33 PM EDT, Steve Yasgur <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

Better yet i will take a picture of the screw i have and write the measurements on the picture

[...]

Okay, Paul.

OAL is 12-5/8”; 10 tip; diameter is 0.435”. (just missed 7/16, I guess.

On Sep 12, 2019, at 3:49 PM, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

Steve
Better yet i will take a picture of the screw i have and write the measurements on the picture

GP

On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 01:08:33 PM EDT, Steve Yasgur <steve@...> wrote:

Paul, Hi.  Steve here. (Rick’s friend)

Is that by any chance a large dial cross slide feed?  Rick has a large dial he could modify, but we’re trying to figure out all the steps necessary so we don’t get 7/8 of the way done and say “Aw, nuts!  Not gonna fit!”  Now, I know no South Bend owner would be caught dead letting those words pass his lips, but . . . just wondering.

Thanks!  (For your response AND the information.

Steve
<PastedGraphic-1.tiff>

Stevan S. Yasgur
Suite 550
3300 Edinborough Way
Edina, MN. 55435
(952) 893-9393
<PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
[...]

<PastedGraphic-1.tiff><PastedGraphic-1.tiff>

Rick Kruger

Thanks.  Also, distance from rear end of screw to gear and length of gear.

More drawings coming.

Rick

On 9/12/2019 8:56 PM, Steve Yasgur via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Ho stevan
The length of the screw is ok measuring to the back of the cross feed gear, the dia, is 0.627 with 8 threads per inch. I think the dia. may be to large for you. The dail is 1 1/2 " in dia.. There is also a nut with it
GP

On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 11:57:08 PM EDT, Steve Yasgur <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul, that length, to be clear is 12-5/8” from the tip of the threaded shaft to the outside edge of the nut securing the handle.  Doesn’t sound like a fit, given the 8 tpi, but Rick and I continue to analyze this.  Thank you for responding.

Yaz