Topics

Large 9A compound dial

carbure2003

Here is my latest dial for a compound rest.

Machined out of colled rolled steel, 200 grads but engraved for 100 grad dial. ( half thou grads)

I used a headstock dividing attachment for cutting the graduations. I am still struggling about the optimum depth of cut for the grooves in order to have optimum look. The groove has to be deep enough for the paint to hold in the crack, but narrow enough to make the dial easy to read. I had to repeat the cut as he graduations were not deep enough at the first pass.

Radius is cut with a jury rig radius turning attachment manufactured from a scrap compound rest base casting. It can also be used for ball cutting attachment.

Engraving is done with punches.

It is not perfect, but overall, very usable. Next fall I will try over again. My plan is to cut a 2 or 2 1/2 in dial for the cross feed.

Guy Cadrin
He Transformed His Gut With One Thing
gundrymd.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/5b46b813e2669381362dfst04vuc

Jim_B

Very nice Guy.
When I made mine I used a 0.010 wide slotting blade and went 0.010 deep.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On Jul 11, 2018, at 10:07 PM, carbure2003 <guycad@...> wrote:

[...]

<678F7A81-417A-4C0B-9699-FF35C6D314F2.jpeg>
<97B9A860-C3E2-4760-9CE9-87E81CE33C69.jpeg>
<4822344B-49BA-429A-B43A-E45BEF17A249.jpeg>
--
Jim B