Topics

iGaging for 9" South Bend

comstock_friend

At the Little Machine Shop open house last week I got a good deal on an iGaging DRO for Bridgeport type mill quills. This got me thinking about one for my lathes. My 9" CL644A has a flat milled on the base of the cross slide put there by a previous owner. I'm thinking of using that for mounting the scale of the DRO and mounting the reading head on the saddle. On the BP the reading head and display are combined, but iGaging also has remote displays which is what I would use. The scale would be on the headstock side as I don't ever need to bump the saddle up to the headstock, where as I frequently need to get the tail stock up to the saddle or need to use the follow rest.

Anybody done this yet or are there other thoughts on the plan???

John

Scott McGrath

I put conventional glass scales on my model A workshop

the hardest part is mounting on the cross slide.   To prevent interference with tooling and work,  scale is mounted on the back of the saddle using the mount point for taper attachment and a pushrod couples the crosslide to the scale.

The same bracket drives the X axis scale mounted on the bed

Since you are using iGaging scales you can use the arduino based DRO described in Yuristoys.   Which I use on a small mill.

Careful levelling and shimming is necessary to prevent cosine error.

But some nonlinearity is inherent in an older lathe  so having a few 1-2-3 blocks on hand is a very good thing as the DRO can compensate for non-linearity if you have some standards on hand

Content by Scott
Typos by Siri

carbure2003

In the past, I had an igaging DRO scale on the cross slide. I found it not accurate enough and I was still relying on dials. I removed it a few years ago.

 THe DRO scale fitted on the saddle is extremely useful, and easy to install
I needed to drill and tap two small holes on the bed for mounting the scale itself.
on the saddle, I used the gib screw under the saddle.  Display is mounted on a column I installed on the taper attachment. It is a must.
first picture shows the sensor bolted with the hardware provided with the scale to the staddle. Second picture shows the column that is bolted to the taper attachment, using a plate that is drilled and using the taper attachment securing bolt as fastener (no mod to the taper attachment)

My xfeed scale was re cycled on my atlas shaper in order to cut a rack.

Guy Cadrin

At the Little Machine Shop open house last week I got a good deal on an iGaging DRO for Bridgeport type mill quills. This got me thinking about one for my lathes. My 9" CL644A has a flat milled on the base of the cross slide put there by a previous owner. I'm thinking of using that for mounting the scale of the DRO and mounting the reading head on the saddle. On the BP the reading head and display are combined, but iGaging also has remote displays which is what I would use. The scale would be on the headstock side as I don't ever need to bump the saddle up to the headstock, where as I frequently need to get the tail stock up to the saddle or need to use the follow rest.

Anybody done this yet or are there other thoughts on the plan???

John

From Making $35k A Year to Making Over $2.8 Million Trading
ragingbull.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5dae1f94b1c5f1f946bbcst04vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

mike allen

        ya might be better off  puttin yer scale on the non chuck side of yer saddle even though ya have the machined side on the left side of the saddle . the scale would probably have a longer life span

        animal

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 02:14 PM, carbure2003 wrote:
I found it not accurate enough and I was still relying on dials.
Guy, could you explain about the inaccuracies? I have the large dial but even between that and back lash, I think I would be ahead of the game with the DRO...

John

comstock_friend

Mike (animal),

I could put a standoff to protect the scale. Plenty of clearance when tool post is in any usable position. On the tailstock side, I frequently need to butt it right up against the saddle, plus need to occasionally use the follow rest.

John

carbure2003

THe real accuracy of igaging scales is plus or minus one thou. It means in practice plus or minus 2 thou diameter.

When dealing with large dials, mine are graduated to be direct reading, meaning one thou corresponds to one thou diameter, I can dial half a division, therefore 0.0005” dia.

Backlash is not too much of an issue. when taking a cut, motion is always in the same direction. Backlash is present on every machine  If you want good accuracy on the xslide, re scrape dovetail sliding surfaces. THis will ensure smooth motion. Xslide will move as per variations of feed as per dial.  Gibs too tight will cause errors as when you turn the dial, it just compresses the feed screw until force exerted is greater than friction force. Result is that you get  inconsistent diameter on the part being machined.

Guy

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 02:14 PM, carbure2003 wrote:

I found it not accurate enough and I was still relying on dials.

Guy, could you explain about the inaccuracies? I have the large dial but even between that and back lash, I think I would be ahead of the game with the DRO...

John

1 Trick "Kills" ED - Wives Are Speechless
Med Journal
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5db0d50e76daf550e40d3st01vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

comstock_friend

Thanks Guy for the reality check, I can do better than 2 thou with what I have...

John

carbure2003

KEep in mind that on the saddle axis id is extremely useful, easy to fit and almost invisible

Thanks Guy for the reality check, I can do better than 2 thou with what I have...

John

Over 60? Do This Every Day To Increase Longevity
healthresponses.org
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5db2133db572b133d7b4fst02vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad