Help with my 10K UMD


Don
 

Purchased this in my late 40's. Now in my early 70"s and got it all level to .0005" on what is left of the 4 1/2ft bed. All cleaned up and ready to learn how to make chips. The only thing I never took apart was the UMDrive becaus it ras working fine and also the only componebt that was not full of chips and grease. So i move the turnbuckle to measure for a new belt and when i tried to release the tension to take a measurement, its a no go; everything is jammed up, the lever will not budge. After carefull examination I found something different from when I got the lathe and now. I don't know if rhe pin is suppose to ride on thar collar or if that bracket somehow moved but I really don't feel like removing the whole underdrive. Any solutions? BTW it's a 4 1/2' 10k circa 1987 that I could figure out while reserching it way back when.


Daniel White
 

if your belt cover top is lifted up and the side tension handle is in just the right position it will lock the side handle to it can not be moved. try closing your top belt cover and side handle should move again.


Rogan Creswick
 

Does anyone have pictures of the linkage / mechanism that makes this feature work? (The top cover link to locking out the side handle?)

I've been trying to figure out what that pin-arm thing does on the 10k I've been rebuilding, and it sounds like I may be missing a part.

Thanks!
--Rogan

On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 10:03 AM Daniel White via groups.io <dannya1a=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
if your belt cover top is lifted up and the side tension handle is in just the right position it will lock the side handle to it can not be moved. try closing your top belt cover and side handle should move again.


Daniel White
 


pin engaged handle locked.

pin disengaged; top cover won't open.

rod from top cover to handle tension in under mount cabinet. if this rod is stuck down you can pry up gently on the case and big collar to get rod to release tension handle. lube as required to get smooth action back


wlw19958
 
Edited

Hi There, 

Daniel,  I see that the collar on the safety interlock is
in the wrong position.  It should be in about the middle
so that when the end gear cover is open, the flare on
the cover presses down on the collar (and thus the rod)
and prevents the drive from engaging.

 Also, this prevents the end gear cover from being opened
when the drive is engaged

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb


Don
 

Thank's guys. Got it working. Now for a new belt.EmojiEmoji

On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 02:48:22 PM EDT, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:


[Edited Message Follows]

Hi There, 

Daniel,  I see that the collar on the safety interlock is
in the wrong position.  It should be in about the middle
so that when the end gear cover is open, the flare on
the cover presses down on the collar (and thus the rod)
and prevents the drive from engaging.

 Also, this prevents the end gear cover from being opened
when the drive is engaged


Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb


Daniel White
 

glad it helped you get it sorted out. i know mine works well. I also have the 10k cabinet 4 ft or so bed. got the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. the blank face plate. a few dogs. steady rest. taper attachment and full 6k collet set.


Don
 

Daniel, I have pretty much all of the same accessories. Only have a handfull of the 6c collets, Do I need a drawbar with those as I noticed they are threaded

On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 04:08:28 PM EDT, Daniel White via groups.io <dannya1a@...> wrote:


glad it helped you get it sorted out. i know mine works well. I also have the 10k cabinet 4 ft or so bed. got the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. the blank face plate. a few dogs. steady rest. taper attachment and full 6k collet set.


Daniel White
 

yes there is a draw bar that is required to use the collets as well as a threaded end protector/cap


Rogan Creswick
 

Thanks for the extra pictures! I am missing the linkage from the cover to the safety interlock, but at least that interlock part makes sense now...


On Sat, Sep 17, 2022, 4:23 PM Daniel White via groups.io <dannya1a=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
yes there is a draw bar that is required to use the collets as well as a threaded end protector/cap


comstock_friend
 

The 'linkage' is just a straight bar that the belt cover pushes down on the p/n 24 Bracket.

Can one of you measure the width and diameter of the p/n 43 collar? For some reason, mine is missing. Seems to still work without it, but I don't think it is correct.

John


comstock_friend
 

The group seems to be resizing photos. Here's a pdf so you can read the exploded view. See second page of pdf...

John


Rogan Creswick
 

I took some quick measurements of mine, it's currently disassembled, but I may put it back together tonight, if I'm lucky.

Let me know if you need other dimensions, as soon as possible!

I don't have a good way to measure the angle between the two threaded holes, and I haven't checked the thread pitch of the set screws.

I don't think the angle matters much, it looks like roughly 60 degrees.

--Rogan 


On Sun, Sep 18, 2022, 10:53 AM comstock_friend <jfriend314@...> wrote:
The group seems to be resizing photos. Here's a pdf so you can read the exploded view. See second page of pdf...

John


comstock_friend
 

Thank you very much Rogan! That should do it!

John