Topics

heavy ten lever type collet closer

John Gallo

Hi,

I have a new to me 10l with a lever type collet closer. Is there any information in the files on how to use or adjust this? I ask because the drawbar does not seem to be long enough. With a collet installed it only seems to lock after only 1 or 2 threads are engaged. Any more than that and it will not fully close. Is there some way to adjust the way tis locks up? I have never used one before, but I trust that the original owner used it often.

Thanks, John.

John Fischer

Which spindle do you have?  The drawbar for a L00 spindle needs to be longer than for the standard spindle.  If you have the L00, measure what you have and I can compare it to mine.

Regards

John

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Gallo via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 10:13 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] heavy ten lever type collet closer

Hi,

I have a new to me 10l with a lever type collet closer. Is there any information in the files on how to use or adjust this? I ask because the drawbar does not seem to be long enough. With a collet installed it only seems to lock after only 1 or 2 threads are engaged. Any more than that and it will not fully close. Is there some way to adjust the way tis locks up? I have never used one before, but I trust that the original owner used it often.

Thanks, John.

John Gallo

Hi John,

I have the standard threaded spindle.

John

John Fischer

Ok, that’s not it then…  You should have plenty of thread engagement, not sure what is off.

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Gallo via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] heavy ten lever type collet closer

Hi John,

I have the standard threaded spindle.

John

Roy Wall

Just thread the end knurled cap inward more -  it will push the bar so the cooler has more threads to capture before it gets snug when applying the lever. 

it’s a pretty tight tolerance between the lever too tight or too loose.  Just a 1/2 turn here and there 

Roy Wall

Collet!!  

not cooler.   Silly autocorrect!!!

John Gallo

Hi John,

Thanks for your help. The fault was the fact that I had never seen one of these before. I finally hit on the idea that I should screw the collet in all the way and then back it out until the lever would lock. I didn't realize that it would be such a fine adjustment.

Thanks again, John.

George Meinschein

Roy,

Thanks for that clarification!  I was just trying to figure out where the cooler is on my lathe.:-)

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional "C&R Eligible" firearms

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500
Email: bustedguns@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
www.meinscheinengineering.com
On 8/28/2020 11:45 AM, Roy Wall wrote:

Collet!!  

not cooler.   Silly autocorrect!!!

Virus-free. www.avast.com

ken campbell

"""  WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional "C&R Eligible" firearms """

how about a bent, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional Lathe Operator ? ... i gots one of those ...

ken

John Fischer

The lever closers are really nice to do repetitive pieces or anything where you are in and out a lot!

Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 11:48 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for your help. The fault was the fact that I had never seen one of these before. I finally hit on the idea that I should screw the collet in all the way and then back it out until the lever would lock. I didn't realize that it would be such a fine adjustment.

Thanks again, John.

RJ White

On Aug 29, 2020, at 7:58 AM, John Fischer <n2nu@...> wrote:

The lever closers are really nice to do repetitive pieces or anything where you are in and out a lot!

Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 11:48 AM

Hi John,

Thanks again, John.