Topics

Heavy Ten Gib for Cross Slide

Kyle Metzloff

Hello all.  I just inherited a south bend heavy ten lathe with turret and lots of other goodies except that it is missing the cross slide tapered Gibb.
serial number is 2507RKX9 think its around a 1949 or so?
Its a ton of messing around to make one so:
1. I would gladly buy one if anyone had one for sale new or used.
2. If someone would give me a print with dimensions on it that would make my day!
3. If someone would take pity on me and measure their cross slide gib accurately you would be my hero!
4. I will have to try to measure the carriage to find the dimensions and 3d print many copies of them to get an idea what the dimensions might be.
5. I will have to make one with all of the associated jigs and fixtures etc.

Please help I know its just under 7 inches and has a notch for the gib screw.
Please email at kmetzloff@... if you can help also post as others might want to know also.
Ill post pics if I have to make one.

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

Contact Ted.   (Latheman2@...)

He will likely have the parts you need.

Glenn B.

On Jan 15, 2021, at 11:15 PM, kmetzloff@... wrote:

[...]

Guenther Paul

Have ever thought about making a gib?????????????

GP

On Saturday, January 16, 2021, 12:19:06 PM EST, glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...> wrote:

[...]

Davis Johnson

For a 9-abc or 10k plenty have done it. There is an excellent pictorial on practical machinist where Paula (who does things scary good) machines the Metal Lathe Accessories T-slot cross slide:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/machining-t-slotted-cross-slide-177054/

As part of this project she makes a gib.

By the way, I recommend all of her project narratives on Practical Machinist. You will need to block out some time.

For a 10L or R, or probably most of the larger lathes the gib is tapered and would be a bigger deal to make. I would have to put some thought into how to measure it accurately. Measuring tapered things takes care.

On 1/16/21 12:35 PM, Guenther Paul wrote:
[...]

m. allan noah

If Ted does not have one, I have one I bought from him that I am not
going to use. Let me know if you are interested.

allan

Contact Ted. (Latheman2@aol.com)

On Jan 15, 2021, at 11:15 PM, kmetzloff@gmail.com wrote:

Hello all. I just inherited a south bend heavy ten lathe with turret and lots of other goodies except that it is missing the cross slide tapered Gibb.
serial number is 2507RKX9 think its around a 1949 or so?
Its a ton of messing around to make one so:
1. I would gladly buy one if anyone had one for sale new or used.
2. If someone would give me a print with dimensions on it that would make my day!
3. If someone would take pity on me and measure their cross slide gib accurately you would be my hero!
4. I will have to try to measure the carriage to find the dimensions and 3d print many copies of them to get an idea what the dimensions might be.
5. I will have to make one with all of the associated jigs and fixtures etc.

Please help I know its just under 7 inches and has a notch for the gib screw.
Please email at kmetzloff@gmail.com if you can help also post as others might want to know also.
Ill post pics if I have to make one.

of my hand"

Kyle Metzloff

I though about making one, but don’t have the dimensions might see if I can buy Allens gib he has. Thanks. By the way grizzly said they had one then called me and said they made a mistake and it is out of stock….forever