moderated sticky Got the correct pulley for my SB vertical mill and installed it

Nick Andrews

Last night the pulley was waiting on me at the house.  After changing clothes and opening the obligatory first beer, I yanked the motor and removed the single sheave taper lock pulley someone had installed.  Luckily, that was well designed, with three threaded jack screw holes threaded for the retaining bolts to be used for disassembly as well. Installed the new old stock pulley and found a couple of set screws to lock it to the motor shaft.

Ran it and it clocks at very close to nameplate speeds with my el cheapo $10+/- amazon.com tach.  94 vs 90rpm low end, 2483 vs 2500 at the top end.  I got the alignment off slightly and need to adjust that but it seems to work great!  Only smashed one finger trying to get that motor off.  It's heavy!  So I ended up injuring both middle fingers on the mill this week.  Tuesday night reminded me that the corners of Kurt vise jaws are both sharp and hard.  I ended up with a foot on a ladder and one on the mill table to both remove and re-set the motor on top.

Now, to get the right spindle oil...

Bill in OKC too

Sounds like fun times in the old workshop! ;)

Have fun, Nick!

I wound up ordering my way oil and spindle oil from Amazon, was able to find a 30wt oil at Tractor Supply. Now I think I have the correct oils for all of my machine tools. Been using Mobil 1 auto oil leftovers and chainsaw bar and chain lube for most of 13 years.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Friday, June 18, 2021, 11:21:05 AM CDT, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

[...]

Mobil 1 is like salt, use it on everything!

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 11:45 AM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

david pennington

Sometimes, Bill, you crack me up. This is one of those times!

[...]

If it will lubricate a 350 Chevy motor in a old pickup truck and keep it running in Oklahoma summers, it will keep anything running! Including an old lathe! Or mill. Or whatever. :)

Of course, I'm no longer so broke I have to use what I have a little left over for lubing my machines now. It will be interesting to see if the machines continue to run, or all have heart attacks and die on me.

On Friday, June 18, 2021, 12:20:56 PM CDT, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

[...]

A bad day in the workshop is better than a great day at work. Though work is how I paid for the workshop. ;)

Beside, sometime you have to laugh or cry, and laughing is better for you. And if people laugh at some of my stupid, at least I don't have to laugh alone!

On Friday, June 18, 2021, 12:35:15 PM CDT, david pennington via groups.io <davidwpennington@...> wrote:

[...]

Automotive motor oils have changed a bunch since SB advised never using motor oil on the lathe. Mobil 1 had not occurred to me, but I'll bet it works just fine. If your shop's not heated or cooled, multi-vis is probably a treat for the machines.

About a half pint of way and head oil came to me with my lathe. I use those for just that: way and head. For the bearings on the drive, I use light machine oil from Ace Hdw. I do the same for the change gear bearings. For the gears themselves, I use SAE 90 differential lube. For everything else--and almost everything on my mill--I use ATF: automatic transmission fluid (red).

I don't spend a lot of time in my shop, so I've still got about half of the way and head oils. I will buy more when I have to.

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
720-442-3744

On Friday, June 18, 2021, 11:58:50 AM MDT, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

[...]

Ondrej Krejci

Howdy,

Multi-grade engine oils aren't doing anything special in machine tools because they're meant for pressurised and filtered systems with a wide heat range.
If anything, the polymers should help clog up things, felts, on the average manual machine tool.
Air compressors do just fine with SAE 30 non-additive oil, whether in a heated shop or unheated garage.

Lube on,

OK

On Friday, June 18, 2021, 03:03:30 PM EDT, david pennington via groups.io <davidwpennington@...> wrote:

[...]

I've spent much of the past 13 years collecting the tools and materials, and the past 6+ years I've been taking a class, though much of 2020 was lost to Covid-19. It's hard to learn a machine tool in a virtual classroom with not virtual tools. I've gotten much better with the lathe the past couple of years, though I still need to learn internal threading in the lathe, and a few little projects for the class. Then I have a couple of books of Machine Shop Projects worth of stuff I have wanted to build since my 1973 high school machine shop class.

And I need to fix a bunch of my machines. Brother brought me a Smithy CB-1220XL 3-in-1 machine that is essentially new, never plugged in since the guy bought it in 1997 or thereabouts. It apparently needs cleaned and lubed, otherwise in perfect condition. Gotta remount and finish rewiring the Atlas TH42, and finish reassembling the Atlas MF horizontal mill. That came in a box and 57 baggies. Might need some random small parts, too, and wiring. HF 7x10 mini-lathe should be good to go, except I need to try the metric transposition gear I printed for it, which may need reaming, and I probably need to print a 100-tooth gear to go with the 127-tooth gear. Other than that I could put it to work tonight. The SB heavy 10 has had about a third or so of the parts stripped of paint and rust, still need to do the turret tailstock, and the headstock and bed. I good degreasing might be all the countershaft needs. Oh, and the HF mini-mill needs cleaning and a good going over. PO used it for woodwork making lures and decoys for 8 years. The gibs are pretty loose, couldn't tell you about the leadscrews or nuts. It ran when I bought it, and it's been waiting for me to have enough organization to work on it.

I think that may be by Sunday afternoon. I need to move a workbench inside, finish repairing my parts washer, and get it set up. It will be near the door to the laundry room where I have a sink. That will be a convenience. Then bring the big workbench back in the house, and deal with about 3 cubic yards of stuff that needs sorted, put up on shelves or in the dumpster, and then it's time. If the back doesn't give out too much before then. I'm starting to get excited. When I started this project, that room was wall to wall, and ceiling to floor boxes of stuff. I've also got an air conditioner to install in the front workshop, formerly the garage, and if the one it's replacing can be cleaned up enough to reuse, it will go in the back workshop, where the machine tools are.

I got a gallon each of Mobil Vactra #2, Velocite #10 Spindle oil, and 30wt machine oil. I think that will cover all my machines, and should last most of the rest of my life, one way or another. :) Also a tube of EP grease that should work nicely on the gears, if the oils won't work. Pretty sure I have some 90wt gear lube here too, somewhere. I'm hoping to do some of the parts I need to finish my class on my home machines this summer. Just for fun!

On Friday, June 18, 2021, 02:03:29 PM CDT, david pennington via groups.io <davidwpennington@...> wrote:

[...]

Mobil 1 synthetic is some truly magical stuff.  Have used it for years,  even in wet clutch motorcycles. I laugh at mechanics at bike shops saying if they were to use it in a bike,  they'd change it every thousand miles. There was a guy down in GA who used it in his Royal Star since it was new.   At 126k miles he decided to install a new clutch pressure plate,  and measured all of the discs and plates.  All were in spec for brand new Yamaha parts!  I've run it for over 12k miles in engines and it's still translucent,  no milkiness or any hint of metal particles.

But I ordered some Velocite 10 and Vactra 2.  Interested to use the right stuff for my machines.  They're older than me and hopefully will still be running great when I'm long gone.

I'm trying to learn and develop the skills to be able to make or repair just about anything.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 12:50 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

You and me both, Brother. Though I'm not a motorcycle guy. Worked on some of the older and smaller ones, but didnt ride all that much. Never did get enough practice to coordinate clutch, brakes & throttle. Decided I wasn't ready to die, and gave up the the little Honda 160. Seemed like switching to the Norton 750 Commando wasn't going to work. The plan had been to ride it from Las Vegas to San Antonio to spend some time with my future wife and her parents. I really wanted to marry her, and "die trying" didn't fit well. Turned out she was terrified of motorcycles, anyway. Had already seen two fatal motorcycle accidents.

But I've also worked on fighter jet aircraft, automobiles, racing go-karts, home & industrial laundry machines, satellite & wideband communications equipment, micro & mainframe computer systems, and audiovisual equipment, among other things. Now I'm learning to work on and with machine tools. So many tools, so little time!