Topics

Gera box Double lever 13" South Bend HELP !!

L L Haynes

I have a 175 CL 13"  6' S.B. lathe.  While taking a cut, .015", on mild steel the gear box  appeared to lock up.  I discovered the left tumbler { A,B,C,D } had ceased and when dis-engaged was difficult to turn the upper cone shaft gear..  Has anyone had any similar or like problem in this area?  I'm in the middle of a project and do not want to remove the gear box if I don't need to. In the manual the tumblers slide on the lower shaft. item number "64"  parts list "Gear Box Double Tumbler 13".  Has anyone removed this shaft or know how to remove it?  I really need some help here folks.  All responses are appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
   steve
Cell  304-709-4991
email:  ironhorse18@...

Guenther Paul

I have disassembled a 16" i think the gears are the same. Can you post a picture of the CQ

GP

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 11:58:46 AM EDT, L L Haynes <ironhorse18@...> wrote:

I have a 175 CL 13"  6' S.B. lathe.  While taking a cut, .015", on mild steel the gear box  appeared to lock up.  I discovered the left tumbler { A,B,C,D } had ceased and when dis-engaged was difficult to turn the upper cone shaft gear..  Has anyone had any similar or like problem in this area?  I'm in the middle of a project and do not want to remove the gear box if I don't need to. In the manual the tumblers slide on the lower shaft. item number "64"  parts list "Gear Box Double Tumbler 13".  Has anyone removed this shaft or know how to remove it?  I really need some help here folks.  All responses are appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
   steve
Cell  304-709-4991
email:  ironhorse18@...

Jim_B

This may help.

--
Jim B

Guenther Paul

Could it be a lubrication issue

GP

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 12:53:03 PM EDT, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Guenther:  I have looked at the picture that you attached.  Yep, that is the same one.  The parts list is for 10",  13",  14 1/2"  16' & 16/24"   I have the 13"  I sure would appreciate any help.

Thank you,
   steve

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 01:05:21 PM EDT, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

[...]

I just realized that Jim B. is who posted the parts picture.
Thank you Jim !

steve

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 12:38:49 PM EDT, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger Bickers

Sounds like it could be as simple as something stuck between the gear teeth on two or more gears. Did anything make a noise? Maybe a wild chip got up in there from underneath when you last cleaned it?  The gear box isn't all that difficult to remove.  The hardest part will be getting and keeping the worm gear key in place for the leadscrew to slide over . The alternative to that is dropping the apron face too.
Have you got a small flashlight and a mirror?
Look up underneath the gearbox. Roger

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 4:37 PM, L L Haynes
<ironhorse18@...> wrote:
[...]

Rick

I'd pull the gearbox out with the lead screw attached.  Just slide the apron all the way to the right, make sure the keyway is facing down so the key doesn't fall out of the apron.  Get a 2nd set of hands and remove the gearbox while the helper supports the lead screw.  The shaft you want to remove is held in by a straight pin, and only comes out one direction.

Jim_B

Go to page 108, Detailed rebuild of Double Tumbler Gearbox.
This file, an a lot of others, dealing with the Larger lathes, 10”, 12”, 13 and 16/24” are on another groups.io site.