Topics

Gearbox ( B oil )

mby852@...

Hi all,
Has anyone ever used Mobil DTE 25 instead of DTE 24 for there gearbox on there South Bend lathes? The oils are identical in terms of viscosity but the DTE 24 has an ISO grade of 32 and DTE 25 has an ISO grade of 46 . I can get the Mobil DTE by the pint instead of having to buy a gallon. Just wondering if it would be that drastic of a difference.

Thanks

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

Hi,

The fact that one is ISO 32 and the other is ISO 46 means that they are not the same viscosity! One has a viscosity of 32 centistokes at 40 degrees C and the other - well work that out for yourselves. INTERNATIONAL (get with it!) Standards Organisation (ISO) viscosities are quoted at 40C.

When you say "gearbox", I take it you don't mean a geared headstock, just the open gears, either change wheel or lever change for screwcutting / feeds? If that is the case, the only difference it could make is the feed rate via wick feeds, but don't fret, a few degrees temperature difference will make the viscosities the same. The more viscous oil will stay in place longer, so doesn't need such a high feed rate, anyway. For what its worth, I use ISO 220 oil normally used for the bearings of steam locos on everything except the wick feeds in the apron (ISO 32 hydraulic oil) and headstock bearings (ISO 22 spindle oil) except in sub zero (C) in our unheated workshop, when I pick up the 32 oil can instead of the 220.

If you are talking about an enclosed geared headstock, the small change could give rise to 2 problems, namely overheating, the big hazard being a thermal runaway of a bearing from a VERY cold start straight to continuous high speed, and more slip at wet clutches and brakes. It seems hardly enough of an increase to be any worry for hobby use, so yes, in your position I would buy the 46 vis if the other was only available locally in ridiculously large volumes at great cost. If you do much work though, you'll find that a gallon isn't such an imposition, especially if you're talking about a US gallon rather than the larger Imperial gallon (not used any more - "gallon" containers for everything liquid in the UK are now either 4 or 5 litres). These oils should be CHEAP, anyway, as they are unsophisticated. About the only additive worth mentioning might be anti rust, since they are operating at very moderate pressures and little above room temperature.

Oil data sheets quote viscosities at 40 and 100C. With those 2 you can determine the actual viscosity of an oil at any temperature between solidification and vaporisation using the attached spreadsheet. Put the published oil data in the green cells and your answer appears in the blue cell. Don't mess with the rest, except maybe the pale green cells if you have non standard temperatures for input data. Works for multi and monogrades, anything.

Eddie

Has anyone ever used Mobil DTE 25 instead of DTE 24 for there gearbox on there South Bend lathes? The oils are identical in terms of viscosity but the DTE 24 has an ISO grade of 32 and DTE 25 has an ISO grade of 46 . I can get the Mobil DTE by the pint instead of having to buy a gallon. Just wondering if it would be that drastic of a difference.

Thanks

mby852@...

Thank you for that in depth explanation.  I was referring to the QCGB on the 9A , should of stated that. This is my first metal lathe since working on them in high school. I have it tore apart right now and replacing the wicks and felts and need the right  oils for it. That seems to be an never ending discussion (oils) . I am trying to find someone that offers all 4 needed for my lathe. I just found a seller on ebay and not real far from where  live. Looks like a road trip. He has all 4 oils but doesn't offer them as a kit. There the Mobil #10 (A)  DTE 24 (B)  DTE 26 (C) and Vactra #2 (WAY) . Correct me if I wrong.  I'm going to call him and tell him that if he offered those in a kit that he would sell them for sure. His prices seem good and shipping is reasonable. He offers pints, quarts and gallons. I would only need the pints since I wouldn't be using it on a daily basis. It should be around $30 shipping inc. for 4 pints. ebay seller is  toolguys2, I'm sure you're aware of them.

Mike

Jim_B

--
Jim B

mby852@...

Hi Jim,

You know I came across his website a week ago and I've sent emails and messaged him on his site and no reply. I've called him for 4 days in a row last week and it's busy every time. No matter what time I call. I suspect something is wrong. ??

Jim_B

I don’t know. He is a long time member.
I will try to contact him.

-8
Jim B,

On Nov 30, 2020, at 5:46 PM, mby852 via groups.io <mby852@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

You know I came across his website a week ago and I've sent emails and messaged him on his site and no reply. I've called him for 4 days in a row last week and it's busy every time. No matter what time I call. I suspect something is wrong. ??

--
Jim B

mby852@...

OK Thank you, Hope everything is alright.

Mike

mike allen

        you can get them all from WW Grainger

        animal