Topics

Fw: [SouthBendLathe] Gera box Double lever 13" South Bend HELP !!

L L Haynes

To: All,
Finally got her running again.  I believe this machine was in a school setting for some time.  Hence in the words of an instructor, these machines got oil where they needed oil but never got a really good cleaning.  The entire problem was dirt, grit, and grime.  There was so much of it in the two shaft groves at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock on the shaft and the killer was the build up of slime and grime between the tumbler area holding the gear and the gears themselves.  After hours of picking digging and scrubbing it finally freed things up enough that she runs smoothly once again. There is only .002" clearance between the gear and the inside of the tumbler that carries the gears.

Thank you again for all your advice and help.  You folks are the best...

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: Jim_B <jim@...>
To: "southbendlathe@groups.io" <southbendlathe@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 7, 2020, 06:35:10 PM EDT
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Gera box Double lever 13" South Bend HELP !!

Go to page 108, Detailed rebuild of Double Tumbler Gearbox.
This file, an a lot of others, dealing with the Larger lathes, 10â€�, 12â€�, 13 and 16/24â€� are on another groups.io site.

On Sep 7, 2020, at 5:15 PM, Roger Bickers via groups.io <mr.concrete1964@...> wrote:

Sounds like it could be as simple as something stuck between the gear teeth on two or more gears. Did anything make a noise? Maybe a wild chip got up in there from underneath when you last cleaned it?  The gear box isn't all that difficult to remove.  The hardest part will be getting and keeping the worm gear key in place for the leadscrew to slide over . The alternative to that is dropping the apron face too.
Have you got a small flashlight and a mirror?
Look up underneath the gearbox. Roger

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 4:37 PM, L L Haynes
I just realized that Jim B. is who posted the parts picture.
Thank you Jim !

steve

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 12:38:49 PM EDT, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

I have disassembled a 16" i think the gears are the same. Can you post a picture of the CQ

GP

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 11:58:46 AM EDT, L L Haynes <ironhorse18@...> wrote:

I have a 175 CL 13"  6' S.B. lathe.  While taking a cut, .015", on mild steel the gear box  appeared to lock up.  I discovered the left tumbler { A,B,C,D } had ceased and when dis-engaged was difficult to turn the upper cone shaft gear..  Has anyone had any similar or like problem in this area?  I'm in the middle of a project and do not want to remove the gear box if I don't need to. In the manual the tumblers slide on the lower shaft. item number "64"  parts list "Gear Box Double Tumbler 13".  Has anyone removed this shaft or know how to remove it?  I really need some help here folks.  All responses are appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
   steve
Cell  304-709-4991
email:  ironhorse18@...

Jim B.

--
Jim B

gwbeyer

Holy crap! You must have spent as much time documenting as you did rebuilding!

Please send updated .pdfs as you go, this is a keeper. Thanks for sharing!

Gary Beyer

oscar kern <kernbigo@...>

How to put a lathe  up 4 sale?

George Meinschein

Oscar,
Did you want to list a lathe for sale to the SouthBendLathe group or do you want help with Craigslist or eBay?  Hopefully you'll offer it to the group first.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive