Topics

FS: South Bend 14 1/2" x 6' Lathe (NE Ohio)

Jeremy Summers

I haven't been active on this list but have been lurking for several years now.  I am selling my South Bend 14 1/2" lathe with 6' bed.  I bought this lathe several years ago but just haven't had time to invest into it like I would have liked and it is taking up a lot of room in my shop so it has to go.  When I purchased it, the previous owner had cleaned it up and repainted it and had the motor rewound.  It was running and I was able to turn a few parts with it in his shop.

It is currently not hooked up in my shop as one of the first things I wanted to do is replace the old frayed cloth wiring with more modern wire.  I also replaced the switch with a cheap knockoff drum switch, which promptly had the handle knocked off.  I still have the original drum switch which could easily be reinstalled and I should probably just go ahead and do that..  It probably needs a new belt as the last time I did run it, the belt was slipping pretty good.

The cross feed screw has a little play in it which i think is a pretty common issue with this machines.

I also have a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, center rest, lathe dogs, faceplate and other assorted tooling to go with it.

Ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer but I am not really an expert on these machines and their use.  I can take more pictures if there is something specific you want to see up close.  I have a copy of the original card that I purchased through Grizzly with some other history on this lathe.

The lathe is located in northeast Ohio and I do have the ability to load it onto a trailer.

I am open to offers on this.

Dave Eggebraaten (AF5IA)

I have a 14 1/2" that replaced a 9".  I have been very impressed with the capabilities of the 14.  It is a very good choice for the hobbyist.  I so some work(play) on older vehicles.  Just recently rebuilt and changed the length of a drive shaft,  and also turned brake drums.  The extra swing is great.