Topics

Exploded Parts Diagram

Rick Kruger

Still helping Steve Yaz with his cross slide screw repair.  I have a large dial that came off a SB 9" that appears to have had thrust bearings.  Is there just one set of these bearings per assembly?  Steve's lathe does NOT have any thrust bearings in the dial/screw assembly.

Can anyone point me to exploded parts diagrams or other drawings showing these cross slide screw assemblies, please?  One such drawing for the more recent 9" lathes and one for his era of 9" would be ideal.

Thanks,

Rick

Jim_B

In the files section of this group, and I must admit I have spent no time there, should be several How to’s on installing thrust bearings on 9” Workshop and heavy 10.
They were on the old group.
If you cannot find them let me know.
There should be two thrust bearings.

-8
Jim B,

--
Jim B

Jim_B

Also exploded drawings of Workshop 9” / Light 10 should be there.
ARMY Lathe Manual.
Almost no documentation on older lathes.

-8
Jim B,

On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:54 PM, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

Still helping Steve Yaz with his cross slide screw repair.  I have a large dial that came off a SB 9" that appears to have had thrust bearings.  Is there just one set of these bearings per assembly?  Steve's lathe does NOT have any thrust bearings in the dial/screw assembly.

Can anyone point me to exploded parts diagrams or other drawings showing these cross slide screw assemblies, please?  One such drawing for the more recent 9" lathes and one for his era of 9" would be ideal.

Thanks,

Rick

--
Jim B

Rick Kruger

Jim,

I looked, but didn't find what I was looking for.  I did download the two that I found about large dials and will examine them in more detail soon.  I believe I have the Army Manual already and will look at it too.

Not surprised about the lack of documentation on older lathes.

Thanks,

Rick

On 9/13/2019 8:00 PM, Jim_B via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

carbure2003

SB 9A and 10K with large dials have two thrust bearings within the assembly. THe original is no longer available. I found substitutes that are slightly thicker. The part number I have is
AKL.FT10-HLG#E

If I recall, inside diameter is 3/8, external diameter, 0.68" (has to fit in a 3/4-NF16)
when I replaced the bearings, I compensated the thickness by thinning the shoulder on the gear assembly on the screw.

Guy Cadrin

Still helping Steve Yaz with his cross slide screw repair.  I have a large dial that came off a SB 9" that appears to have had thrust bearings.  Is there just one set of these bearings per assembly?  Steve's lathe does NOT have any thrust bearings in the dial/screw assembly.

Can anyone point me to exploded parts diagrams or other drawings showing these cross slide screw assemblies, please?  One such drawing for the more recent 9" lathes and one for his era of 9" would be ideal.

Thanks,

Rick

Former White House Official, Issues Chilling Prediction
charlesstreetresearch.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5d7c5a98b85e5a971aa1st01vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

sblatheman

On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:54 PM, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

Still helping Steve Yaz with his cross slide screw repair.  I have a large dial that came off a SB 9" that appears to have had thrust bearings.  Is there just one set of these bearings per assembly?  Steve's lathe does NOT have any thrust bearings in the dial/screw assembly.

Can anyone point me to exploded parts diagrams or other drawings showing these cross slide screw assemblies, please?  One such drawing for the more recent 9" lathes and one for his era of 9" would be ideal.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Kruger

Excellent.  Thanks.  That is what I was hoping to find.  I am pleased to see the write-up on the conversion to remove the slop, using two thrust bearings.  That is exactly what I was trying to do.  I also found info in the PDF doc in the files section:

"CONVERTING A SOUTH BEND HEAVY 10 SMALL DIAL CROSSFEED
TO BALL/ROLLER BEARING TO REMOVE AXIAL PLAY"

The ball thrust bearings I found online have a much larger OD, (0.8125"), so I'll be looking for the smaller ones referenced.

Turns out the threads on "threaded sleeve" (Steve and I have been calling it a bushing, but I knew that wasn't quite right) on Steve's lathe are different - 3/4"-18.  The ID of those threads in the cross slide casting (or saddle - I'm not sure as I don't have that stuff to look at directly) also seems to be larger than the thread specs suggest.  They are 0.731", so the old thrust bearings I have would fit.  If I can find new ones, I'll get and use them.

Thanks.

Rick

On 9/13/2019 8:11 PM, carbure2003 via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Thanks.  That is very helpful.  Not exactly the same by any means, but very helpful.

Rick

On 9/13/2019 8:15 PM, sblatheman via Groups.Io wrote:
http://www.wswells.com/data/parts/1934-Bltn-No19A/album/slides/scan%20(10).html

Ted

On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:54 PM, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

Still helping Steve Yaz with his cross slide screw repair.  I have a large dial that came off a SB 9" that appears to have had thrust bearings.  Is there just one set of these bearings per assembly?  Steve's lathe does NOT have any thrust bearings in the dial/screw assembly.

Can anyone point me to exploded parts diagrams or other drawings showing these cross slide screw assemblies, please?  One such drawing for the more recent 9" lathes and one for his era of 9" would be ideal.

Thanks,

Rick

Jim_B

The bearings you need are from Boston Gear.
They sell through distributors.
MSC is one of many.
Look at their site and catalog for others.
I may have a set.

-8
Jim B,

On Sep 13, 2019, at 11:23 PM, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

[...]

For the benefit of the audience following this thread, here are pictures of the bushing assembly for large dial 9 and 10K

On the first picture you will see the thrust bearing just left of the thread. You will note 5e thrust washers as well as the thrust bearing cage. On the right side, there is a cross pin that holds a sleeve against the thrust bearing located inside the bushing assembly.

second picture shows the sleeve removed as well as the thrust bearing.

for a unit never taken apart, the cross pin may be invisible, you need to look carefully. Sleeve is quite likely 12L14 steel.

i manufactured at least 2 units for large dial upgrades.
THe last one, I made a near 2" diameter dial 200 divisions, really easy to read.
lathe headstock was used as a dividing head
On last picture, you will see on the left a near 2" dial, in the middle, a 1 3/4" standard satin finish SB large dial and on the right the original small dial.
ideally, you will need a second lathe in order to do the upgrade as the cross feed screw needs to be extended.  My upgrades involved some silver solder for the extension.

Guy Cadrin

[...]

Urologist Suggests Pill That "Destroys" ED, No Prescription!
Med Journal
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5d7d9457426a714567d25st04vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Steven H

Photos?

Steve Haskell

On Sep 14, 2019, at 9:29 PM, carbure2003 <guycad@...> wrote:

[...]

<601BAE0E-8A9B-4F62-AAFE-CD9CB325238A.jpeg>
<5D2FCE3D-F448-45C8-9877-AF99D3BE1285.jpeg>
<24710009-B931-4DB4-81CF-C18C382DE034.jpeg>

Bill in OKC too

They were there as attachments on the email you replied to, at least in my inbox. I used the current version of Firefox.

HTH!

Bill in OKC

On Saturday, September 14, 2019, 8:59:55 PM CDT, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

[...]

I received the post with pictures. Your mail system may have filtered them

[...]

1 Cup Of This (Tonight) Will Burn Your Belly Fat
worldhealthlabs.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5d7daca5fc6a2ca47a49st01vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Jim_B

iPhone with Safari.
Pictures attached.

-8
Jim B,

On Sep 14, 2019, at 11:13 PM, carbure2003 <guycad@...> wrote:

[...]

John Dammeyer

I hope someday that I'll be able to turn out work as nice as that.

John

[...]

Image removed by sender. SponsoredBy Content.Ad

carbure2003

Here is the stup to cut divisions for a dial.  Requires a 50 hole plate, the bull gear is 76 teeth.  For fun I made a 254 division dial that converts the 10TPI xfeed screw into a metric screw.

Guy Cadrin

Please note: message attached

From: "John Dammeyer" <johnd@...>
To: <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 20:45:27 -0700

$80K In Debt To 2.5 Million Trading Stocks
ragingbull.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3242/5d7e10694c2ac1068058ast03vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad