Topics

Depth Charge rack pins

Phillip Rankin

Good afternoon all.
Well, a few week ago my son took on an Eagle Scout project aboard The USS Kidd (DD-661) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kidd_(DD-661)  https://www.usskidd.com/ . While there I picked up a project of my own. I asked the ship superintendent if he had any light lathe work he needed done since I noticed the ships on board Reed Prentice was in a state of repair due to a broken gear in the drive train. He said he did. He was in need of some pins for the depth charge racks. I figured the only was he was going to get those pins was for some hobbyist like me to step up and take the job, but before I accepted the job I made sure he was okay with me not being able to knurled the handles. He was fine with that. The ship super provided me with twelve pieces of 30" X 1-1/4" bar stock. So here we are. Chips flying. Number 2 of 12.

Todd

 WAY cool, for both you and your son !   I was on the Kidd back in '93-ish (It was docked in Charleston and I was allowed to take a tour).  To be able to assist our military as a civilian AND as a Scout are priceless.

Phillip Rankin

Todd,
I don't think we are talking about the same USS Kidd. This one DD-661 is a WWII Fletcher class Destroyer. Decommissioned in 1964. It Towed from Philadelphia, PA to Baton Rouge, LA in May of 1982  where she was transferred to the Louisiana Naval War Memorial Commission. Of the 175 built there are only four Fletcher class Destroyers left in the world. Three in the U.S. one in Greece. All of them are museums.

Perhaps USS Kidd (DDG-993) is the one you boarded. It was launched in 1979, and  decommissioned in 1998. There is also a USS Kidd in active service (DDG-100). It was launched in 2005.

Todd

 Now that's just too confusing, like naming every successive dog the same name ... ;)   It's still an awesome opportunity for both !

Phillip Rankin

Thanks Todd. Many times small museums rely heavily on volunteers. The USS Kidd museum in Baton Rouge, LA is no exception. Takes a lot of work to keep a 76 year old boat open for viewing. I'm glad I can be a service to them.