From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Jim Erdman via groups.io <jiminwis@...>
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 8:14 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Big South Bend on auction in Western Wisconsin

I found this big lathe for sale at an auction ending in 2 weeks, in Western Wisconsin.  I haven't driven over to look at it, just a bit far for me to go to just satisfy my curiosity.  I don't think I could get it home if I bought it, and not sure where it would go at my place either.  The list it as a 30" by 8 foot machine.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI

mby852@...

Actually you could fit the batmobile on this one!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/lithia-2008-hankook-dynaturn-2600-6000/7228666565.html

mike allen

        I was going to buy it , but then I noticed the steady rest was missing , dam'n

        animal

On 11/30/2020 6:12 PM, mby852 via groups.io wrote:
Actually you could fit the batmobile on this one!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/lithia-2008-hankook-dynaturn-2600-6000/7228666565.html

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

This is the lathe you need to buy so you can fix your battleship.

On Nov 30, 2020, at 6:16 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        I was going to buy it , but then I noticed the steady rest was missing , dam'n

        animal

On 11/30/2020 6:12 PM, mby852 via groups.io wrote:
Actually you could fit the batmobile on this one!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/lithia-2008-hankook-dynaturn-2600-6000/7228666565.html

Colin Fera

30 ton load capacity! How much does a lathe need to weigh to have a 30 ton load capacity?

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...> wrote:
This is the lathe you need to buy so you can fix your battleship.

On Nov 30, 2020, at 6:16 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        I was going to buy it , but then I noticed the steady rest was missing , dam'n

        animal

On 11/30/2020 6:12 PM, mby852 via groups.io wrote:
Actually you could fit the batmobile on this one!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/lithia-2008-hankook-dynaturn-2600-6000/7228666565.html

mike allen

        I reckon ya don't use a 6" Starrett level on that puppy

        animal

On 11/30/2020 7:55 PM, Colin Fera wrote:
30 ton load capacity! How much does a lathe need to weigh to have a 30 ton load capacity?

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...> wrote:
This is the lathe you need to buy so you can fix your battleship.

On Nov 30, 2020, at 6:16 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        I was going to buy it , but then I noticed the steady rest was missing , dam'n

        animal

On 11/30/2020 6:12 PM, mby852 via groups.io wrote:
Actually you could fit the batmobile on this one!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/lithia-2008-hankook-dynaturn-2600-6000/7228666565.html

Ondrej Krejci

Looks like a big ship anchor.

On Monday, November 30, 2020, 11:42:11 PM EST, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        I reckon ya don't use a 6" Starrett level on that puppy

        animal

On 11/30/2020 7:55 PM, Colin Fera wrote:
30 ton load capacity! How much does a lathe need to weigh to have a 30 ton load capacity?

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...> wrote:
This is the lathe you need to buy so you can fix your battleship.

On Nov 30, 2020, at 6:16 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

        I was going to buy it , but then I noticed the steady rest was missing , dam'n

        animal

On 11/30/2020 6:12 PM, mby852 via groups.io wrote:
Actually you could fit the batmobile on this one!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/lithia-2008-hankook-dynaturn-2600-6000/7228666565.html

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

It probably weighs anything between 5 and 10 times its load capacity. Here's a couple of photos of my 18" centre height (36" USA) x 10' Broadbent at the Golden Valley Light Railway. The chap delivering it reckoned his crane said it weighed about 8.5 tonnes, and the wheelset in it is off a small industrial standard gauge 0-4-0 loco. We didn't weigh that, but those sort of things generally weigh a bit over a tonne. I wouldn't put more than about 2 tonnes on this lathe, as the tailstock centre hole is only 5MT, but the one in the headstock mandrel is much bigger and I had to make a centre for that. It nearly needs the crane to put that centre in! (There's a 5t gantry crane covering the lathe and locality.) The motor on the Broadbent is 15HP, but I see the advertised SB appears to only have 2HP. For a lathe of this size it looks a bit slender as well, so I suspect it is for light work only. It would be interesting to see what the eventual price is. Mine was £950 off ebay uk (I was the only bidder, thankfully) in 2006 plus only £400 delivery as it wasn't more than 90 minutes or so away. The serial number suggests it was made in 1954. It's worn, but does what we need of it. It was purchased for reprofiling 2' gauge wheelsets, but has been used for many other jobs.

Eddie

30 ton load capacity! How much does a lathe need to weigh to have a 30 ton load capacity?

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...> wrote:
This is the lathe you need to buy so you can fix your battleship.

On Nov 30, 2020, at 6:16 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

I was going to buy it , but then I noticed the steady rest was missing , dam'n

animal

On 11/30/2020 6:12 PM, mby852 via groups.io wrote:
Actually you could fit the batmobile on this one!
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/lithia-2008-hankook-dynaturn-2600-6000/7228666565.html

rlm_mcv

Attached Pics of a 24 swing x 12 ft bed I owned 40 years ago.  Here it is coming out of storage after the next owner went into nursing care.  Last I heard the lathe was headed to Colorado.  It has a 3rd leg under the bed and has no risers, it is a true 24" lathe.

john kling

Is the motor and counter shaft  above the head stock the original configuration from the factory? Or perhaps, it was driven by overhead line shaft?