Another Project: 1942 9” Model A with Risers

Keith Douglass

I regularly browse Marketplace and Craigslist for South Bend lathes.  It’s a habit I’ve kept up with ever since I bought  my first 9” 4 years ago and was still trying to tool it up.  I’ve found in most cases that it’s much cheaper to buy entire lathes with the accessories I want and then resell the lathes than it is to buy the parts individually off eBay.  I usually get them very dirty and pretty cheap, then do a full strip down and do new felts, bushings, wiring, etc.  I can normally get more than what I originally paid for them even without the accessories I keep, but I usually spend at least 40 hours cleaning them.

Which brings me to this weekend’s purchase.  I’ve been looking out for a 16-speed 9” so I can swap with the 3-step pulleys on my 10k and the only one on eBay right now is about $500 pre-tax and shipping.  I found this for sale about an hour away and ended up paying $2,500 for the bundle.  This is over double what I’ve paid for any of the previous lathes I’ve purchased and in the upper range for these in SW Michigan from what I’ve seen, especially in it’s condition.  It wasn’t a deal to brag about, but I think it was fair considering what I got and my enjoyment of this stuff.  The ways are in excellent condition with very little wear and no ridge, there was very little backlash in both the compound and cross slide, and the accessories filled a lot of gaps in my tooling with more than enough left over to make a very nice package to resell.

For the items I didn’t already have, I got:
16-speed v-belt pulleys
7 3/8” face plate
dog driving plate
Jacob’s 59B spindle chuck
several 10-in-1 knurling holders
Criterion boring head (missing adjustment screw)
MT3 slotting saw arbor
several South Bend MT3 to MT2 spindle sleeve adapters
42, 70, and 100 tooth spur gears
Lots of HSS, some carbide, some MT drill bits
An official copy of HTRAL (56th Ed)
complete original parts and accessory bulletins

It also came with 1” risers for the headstock, tailstock, compound, steady rest, and follower rest.  I’m considering installing these on my 10K, but I’m not sure at this point.

Anyways, I’ve got a lot of cleaning and derusting ahead of me but I’m looking forward to it.

if you’ve read this far, thanks.  It’s not as fun talking about this stuff with the wife and friends, so I appreciate this forum as a way to share.

Here’s the photo from the original listing:

Keith Douglass

I’m finally finished cleaning all of the tooling that came with this lathe, and I’ve now moved on to the lathe itself.  I have a feeling it’s going to be a long process as my parts cleaner solvent barely touches the dried on grime.  I’ve found lightly scrubbing with WD-40 helps.  I don’t have plans of repainting at this point since I’m planning on reselling or I’d try something stronger.

I found something interesting today while disassembling the headstock.  It looks like this machine had a bolt-style reversing gear assembly at one point, and it was retrofit with a plate allowing the use of a plunger-style instead.  It’s a really professional job, and if the layout dye wasn’t still on the back of the plate I’d swear it was from the factory.  The scraping on the mating surface of the headstock doesn’t have a scratch on it.  To add to the mystery, the markings on the headstock don’t match any I’ve seen before.  I’m used to seeing the letter “N” (for neutral?) stamped near the top, but this has a “Q” instead.  There’s also a “V” stamped at the bottom.

-Keith

Jim V

a guy who bought a Craftsman 12" 101 from me a couple weeks back said white vinegar & baking soda (or was  it washing soda, which is more potent) work wonders to remove crud.   I've never tries the combo on grime, but both if not all 3 will be in the house.............gonna try right now on a nasty ol' drill chuck

On Friday, April 8, 2022, 12:43:52 PM CDT, Keith Douglass <keith_douglass@...> wrote:

[...]

mike allen

        Ive had good luck soaking parts in the Awesome De-greaser sold at the Dollar Tree  . A Ultrasonic tank helps & it will remove paint or anodizing  . But at a buck for 1/2 gallon it works pretty good .

        our tumbler plate is a mod that's been around for ears . I would love to do that to my 9A but folks seem to think that  the actual tumbler is made of gold just like the large dials .

        animal

On 4/8/2022 10:43 AM, Keith Douglass wrote:

[...]

Bill in OKC too

White vinegar would neutralize the baking soda, and form salt. I wouldn't go there. Washing soda is also an alkali, and it with water will convert grease & oil to soluble soaps. After you get that off, you could wash in vinegar to get the rust, but you can use the washing soda in water as an electrolyte for electrolytic rust removal, and that will get the paint, grease, and rust off. Also any dissimilar metals, so you would want to be careful. It will east babbit and and bronze bearings, for example.

If you're gonna do salt and vinegar, you will need to wash it off in clear water very carefully!

Search "electrolytic rust removal" and you can see if that is what you want to do. 1tablespoon of washing soda per gallon of water, distilled or demineralized preferred, and a 12vdc battery charger or wall wart will do ya!

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Physics doesn't care about your schedule.
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Friday, April 8, 2022, 12:54:26 PM CDT, Jim V via groups.io <flajimak220@...> wrote:

[...]

Davis Johnson

quiescere and verso? labels in Latin?

Good Point Bill!  tried on an old chuck, worked fair, then washed it with dish soap & dried it in the oven @ 180 before oiling...........stuck chuck is about as good as new

On Friday, April 8, 2022, 01:12:48 PM CDT, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

[...]

Andrei

The purple power decreased from Walmart will clean off just about anything even paint

[...]

Thanks all. The problem with most of those degreasers (I’ve even used oven cleaner for really hard to get off crud) is that they strip the paint, too. I’m trying to keep from having to repaint this machine and let the next owner decide if they want to. My goal is to make sure everything is cleaned, lubricated, and working properly before selling it. Although based on how the tailstock ended up after all the scrubbing, I may end up needing to anyways. At that point, I may just decide to keep it 😆

I was able to pull the spindle this afternoon and thankfully it looks perfect.  The felts weren’t dried up or too crusty and seemed to be doing their job.  I have the refurb kit on the way so it will get new ones regardless.

Andrei

I have cleaned small parts by putting them in the oven, on the self-clean cycle. Stunk to high heaven, but everything was very clean when done. a light wipe with a damp cloth and some oil and we were in business.

Thanks all. The problem with most of those degreasers (I’ve even used oven cleaner for really hard to get off crud) is that they strip the paint, too. I’m trying to keep from having to repaint this machine and let the next owner decide if they want to. My goal is to make sure everything is cleaned, lubricated, and working properly before selling it. Although based on how the tailstock ended up after all the scrubbing, I may end up needing to anyways. At that point, I may just decide to keep it 😆

I was able to pull the spindle this afternoon and thankfully it looks perfect.  The felts weren’t dried up or too crusty and seemed to be doing their job.  I have the refurb kit on the way so it will get new ones regardless.

Seth Hensel

I’ll take how to end my marriage for $500 Alex

On Apr 8, 2022, at 5:38 PM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

[...]

You can always get a second hand elecrric range and install it in the shop.

[...]

Ain't that that truth! Even in if I had a better stove on order. Though she might let my buyer her a Sonoma-Williams...

OR ELSE!

;)

On Friday, April 8, 2022, 04:55:56 PM CDT, Seth Hensel via groups.io <sethhensel@...> wrote:

[...]

Rogan Creswick

I've been using Grime Reaper and/or the CRC heavy duty degreaser in a spray can to clean up my lathe -- I am stripping the paint, but it takes a pretty long soak in grime reaper to touch the paint that's on mine.  Scrubbing with 000 steel wool and one or the other of those degreasers seems to be working well.  I wipe it dry with shop towels and (when painting) acetone.

As I understand it, the CRC and grime reaper have different chemical mechanisms, so if one doesn't work, after it's been wiped off reasonably well, try the other, and it usually makes progress.

--Rogan

On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 2:57 PM Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:
[...]

Randall Zempel

My "go to" solvent is Camp Fuel--it's naphtha which is fairly benign to humans but works pretty well for grime.  I also use good old fashioned Kerosene.  Neither one strips paint, in my experience.

Randall

mike allen

        ANd your still married ?

animal

On 4/8/2022 2:38 PM, Andrei wrote:
[...]

Nope. But not because of my kitchen use

[...]

Steven Schlegel

Carburator cleaner. Got a gallon can with a parts basket in the bottom. Still had some picking and scraping for the really old grease, but it worked. A long soak removed the paint though. Wife complains about the smell, but hasn't left, yet. Wonder what my suitcase is doing by the front door...

[...]

Agent

I like mineral spirits if I plan to preserve an original finish.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2022 at 12:53 AM, Steven Schlegel
<sc.schlegel@...> wrote:
[...]

So I switched to using kerosene and it’s been cutting through the crud much easier.  It’s kind of ironic since I used to use kerosene exclusively but my wife hates the smell of it and I can’t seem to keep it off me when cleaning.  I spent a good chunk of my shop money this last year getting a decent parts cleaner and 15 gallons of the PSC 1000 solvent, only to be scrubbing everything again in an older refrigerator drawer full of kerosene again 😆

Anyways, I finally feel like I’m making some good progress again.  The headstock is done and reassembled, and I’ve got the four step pulley installed in my 10K.  It may not look like it, but I’ve spent about 2 hours scrubbing the stand and that’s as good as it’s going to get for now.  If I can’t sell this lathe for enough to recoup my costs, I’ll probably end up stripping and painting everything and then I can just hit it with some oven cleaner.