Topics

Adding DRO to a 14 1/2 SBL

Dave Eggebraaten (AF5IA)

Has anyone added a DRO to the 14 1/2?  Maybe a 13 would be very similar?  Pictures would be great.

Tom Jelly

I did what was supposed to be a temporary trial with a newall and ended up leaving it in place.  Works great & no drilling of the lathe.  The x encoder head mounts to a welded tee sandwiched at the end of the compound., z tube on some rod ends hung off of the ways:

https://imgur.com/a/TscaxAG

Payson

Can you post pictures?

Thanks,

Payson.

Tom Jelly

There is an imgur link to photos in my post there, are you able to see the photos in the link?

George Meinschein

Tom,

Yes, the photos are there.  Just need to copy and paste the link into a browser.

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional long guns

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
Fax: 732-358-0369
www.meinscheinengineering.com
On 3/1/2020 1:01 PM, Tom Jelly wrote:

There is an imgur link to photos in my post there, are you able to see the photos in the link?

jesse quevedo

Dave Eggebraaten (AF5IA)

Very elegant solution for mounting.

On 2/27/2020 7:22 PM, Tom Jelly wrote:
I did what was supposed to be a temporary trial with a newall and ended up leaving it in place.  Works great & no drilling of the lathe.  The x encoder head mounts to a welded tee sandwiched at the end of the compound., z tube on some rod ends hung off of the ways:

https://imgur.com/a/TscaxAG

Payson

Thanks for the heads up on the Imgur. A  very simple install. Can you post a pic of the readout placement. I'd like to do an install on a 10L, without a taper attachment.

Payson.

Tom Jelly

I've just added a photo of the display mount to the original photo link

Andrei

So, the DRO rail is mounted by squeezing the formed sheet metal to the ways? That is pretty slick, and obviously stable enough to use it for years. Thanks for the neat project you shared.

Tom Jelly

I need to add another photo, if I remember correctly the 2 machine screws actually go into a small aluminum block that is tapped and has a screw that goes upward to clamp the lathe way from the underside.

Guenther Paul

Tom
Go to DROpros.com they have instructional videos that will make it clear how to install the dro's
Good luck

GP

On Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 6:49:21 PM EST, Tom Jelly <tom.jelly@...> wrote:

I need to add another photo, if I remember correctly the 2 machine screws actually go into a small aluminum block that is tapped and has a screw that goes upward to clamp the lathe way from the underside.

Tom Jelly

Just added a photo of the underside.  I don't think dro pros carry Newall...

bode528@...

I am a fan of DROPROS.  Had it on my mill and added it to my 16 inch a couple of years ago.  Good pricing and it works very well.  I like the magnetoresistive technology much better than the Newall technology - and considerably cheaper.

I will see if I can find some pics of my install.

Jim Schaffroth

DroPros dont seem to be selling the reasonably priced stuff any more. It’s all way out of my range. Seems like all the machining related stuff has gone through the roof.