sticky 9" Taper Attachment

david pennington

Hi, Folks,

I have a taper attachment that is missing a minor part and a couple of bolts and washers. I've "finally" decided to complete it and to install it on my 1946 9C. (The missing piece is a simple steel block with a tapped hole to clamp the fixed end bracket to the lathe bed. I figure 2" x 2.3" x 0.5" should do it.)

I've looked at several videos on Youtube, including Tubalcain's TIPS 561. He showed an exploded parts page.

There is a pin on the fixed end bracket. I cannot figure out its function.

A. Anyone got the SB literature on this thing?

B. Do we have a library somewhere? I've never tried to access it.

Thanks,

Dave

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
720-442-3744

wlw19958

Hi There,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 09:17 AM, david pennington wrote:
"There is a pin on the fixed end bracket. I cannot figure out its function."
Can you give more information?  I have looked at two parts diagrams
for the 9 Inch and 10K taper attachment (Forms 906L and 1406) and
I don't see any "pin" in the "end bracket" (SBL part no: AS864NK1).

Are you possibly confusing the "bed bracket" (SBL part no: AS862NK2)?
This is the bracket that bolts to the back of the saddle.  There are two pins
that can be used with it (SBL part no: 160X82) which are 1/4" x 1" long
straight pins.

When attaching a taper attachment to a lathe, the bed bracket should be
mounted so that the top surface of the swivel bar runs flat and true to the
ways of the bed (there is some play in the mounting holes in the bracket
to allow some minimal movement for alignment).  Once the bracket and
swivel bar are set and running true, one is to drill and ream through the
pin holes in the bed bracket into the saddle and install the two 1/4" x 1"
pins.  Then, if you choose to remove the taper attachment for some
reason, you can use the pins to relocate the bed bracket and avoid the
necessity of re-aligning the bed bracket and swivel bar when re-attaching
the taper attachment.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

mike allen

        look in the files section of this group

        animal

On 6/21/2021 9:17 AM, david pennington via groups.io wrote:
Hi, Folks,

I have a taper attachment that is missing a minor part and a couple of bolts and washers. I've "finally" decided to complete it and to install it on my 1946 9C. (The missing piece is a simple steel block with a tapped hole to clamp the fixed end bracket to the lathe bed. I figure 2" x 2.3" x 0.5" should do it.)

I've looked at several videos on Youtube, including Tubalcain's TIPS 561. He showed an exploded parts page.

There is a pin on the fixed end bracket. I cannot figure out its function.

A. Anyone got the SB literature on this thing?

B. Do we have a library somewhere? I've never tried to access it.

Thanks,

Dave

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
720-442-3744

david pennington

Hi, Webb,

Thanks for the information about installation!

Here are two pictures of the end bracket that fastens to the lathe bed. Note the cotter key in the one. On the other side, the pin has been subjected to a thick coat of paint. Close examination shows it to be knurled.

Mike,

How do I access the files? I may have known at one time, but haven't a clue now.

Thanks,

Dave

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
720-442-3744

On Monday, June 21, 2021, 10:55:55 AM MDT, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:

[...]

            go down to the bottom of this page & hit " your subscription" then from the list on the left side of the new page click on files

        animal

On 6/21/2021 10:34 AM, david pennington via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thanks...that was so easy.

There is a good set of step-by-step installation instructions.

Webb, do you have Form 906L in electronic format? I'd like to have a copy.

Thanks,

Dave

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
720-442-3744

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 01:47 PM, david pennington wrote:
"Webb, do you have Form 906L in electronic format? I'd like to have a copy."
No.  But I have made a scan of it for you.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

david pennington

Marvelous. Will you put it in the files?

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 01:47 PM, david pennington wrote:
"Webb, do you have Form 906L in electronic format? I'd like to have a copy."
I didn't but I just made a scan of it.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb