From: "E A" <b-arch@...>
To: "SouthBendLathe@groups.io" <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, 1 Nov, 21 At 20:00
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] spindle protector

Hi all.
I just got a spindle protector off ebay, but think maybe there is a problem.
When all assembled with the collet sleeve and a collet, the spindle protector is about 3/16" from the lip of the collet sleeve.
Thinking about it, there has to be some space so the collet sleeve seats in the spindle.
So how much is too much?
BTW, the spindle protector is not a genuine SB as you can see in the photo...
Erik A

Carl Bukowsky

Looks like mine, and it’s SB original.   The thread protector does function as the collet holder ejector.  That space is no problem, it’s by design.  Carl

Sent by my iPhone

On Nov 1, 2021, at 3:16 PM, eddie.draper@... via groups.io <eddie.draper@...> wrote:

Your collet holder is sticking out quite a way, hence the gap. Is the holder fully seated and does it run true? The thread protector appears to be covering all the threads. The more serious purpose of the thread protector is acting as an ejector for the collet holder, and it looks as though it should do that OK. The gen ones have a hole for a C spanner so you can shock the holder out. Does yours have some means of doing that? If so, I can't see there is a problem.

Eddie

I just got a spindle protector off ebay, but think maybe there is a problem.
When all assembled with the collet sleeve and a collet, the spindle protector is about 3/16" from the lip of the collet sleeve.
Thinking about it, there has to be some space so the collet sleeve seats in the spindle.
So how much is too much?
BTW, the spindle protector is not a genuine SB as you can see in the photo...
Erik A

E A

Carl, Eddie
Thanks for the info. Not being familiar with the whole collet setup, I just wasn't sure...
And yes, there is a hole on the spindle protector for a C spanner (which I don't have just yet)
Erik A